For you race fans

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

For you race fans

Post by Dedman »

ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

the driver is good, but not great

He could have started breaking closer to the turns, and should have started accelerating right after the apexes. He also downshifted a little early for a few turns, keep the revs up untill the last minute and then downshift, youll shave some time off.

It looks like he took a turn around the 7:20 mark a little too fast and had to correct slightly for oversteer.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

The driver in the clip is Hans Stuck. He is one of the best around. I donâ??t think you are qualified to critique his driving ability.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

I am almost certain that he would agree with everything I had posted above.

If you listen to the engine revs and compare it to the distance he is from entering the turns, then compare the sound of the engine through the turn you will arrive at the same conclusion as I have.

I think Tetrad races BMW's it would be interesting to see his input on this.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I was referring to your statement regarding his driving ability, not his technique. While it may not have a technically perfect lap, that doesnâ??t change the fact that he is a great driver.

http://www.hansstuck.com/en/
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

ccb056 wrote:I think Tetrad races BMW's it would be interesting to see his input on this.
Tricord
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

well, I knew it began with a T and ended with a d :)

yes, he is a good driver, but he could have driven that lap better

since that was the only video footage i've seen of him, I came to the conclusion that he did not drive that lap as well as it could have been driven, therefore making him a good driver, but not great

I have seen other videos of people racing on that track, and some people execute the turns better than he did in that video, thats not to say overall they are better or worse, its saying that they just executed the turns better at that particular time
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

I'm w/ Dedman here. I have actually driven on the Nuerburgring Northloop -- it's one of the hardest tracks there is and HJ is doing an outstanding job. The NNL is very unforgiving, if you don't treat those curves carefully it'll be over for you before you can say "Oh, shıt!" The NNL is open to to the "public" (ppl w/ a racing license) on weekends when there's no pro-racing going on, my guess is that HJ was driving on such a day (there's no competiton in that video) -- circling around wannabe drivers like cbb or myself :P
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Sweet video. Heh @ people critiquing him from a video...
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

I use to race that course and had waaaaay better lap time....but that wuz b4 I blew this mexican's leg off with a 50 cal. so it don't really count.

Anyway, that was a great video and I thought the drivers skills were on the level of greatness. The only mistake I saw was his misjudgement of the (what seemed to be fairly new and quite bumpy) concrete @ 7:20ish. And he apparently broke his own lap record,, or so it would seem upon him crossing the finish line with such jubilation.
My fav' part was near the end on that long straightaway when he nearly literally blew the doors off that lil' silver putt-putt!LMAO! :lol:

IMME you have to be a great driver to pilot one of those GTR racers... :wink:
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I have another video of the same track but with a different car. if anyone knows where I can upload this 40 meg file, let me know.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

What an awesome clip. He11 the guy is a great driver.
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

Yes, I do race BMW's... I haven't been on the ring before though.
I have seen that vid before. Regarding the technique, he is driving a "claw box" gearbox (not sure how to translate it). Basically you shift without clutch, and the technique is quite different from shifting a regular gearbox. That's why you can't compare the revs or the lever movement with something else. These claw boxes shift faster but have to be rebuilt every race when used like seen in this vid.

Hans may be able to improve his lap time over the one he did in the vid, but he still is one of the best around. Oh, and the car is phenomenal also ;)
Sarge
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Sarge »

Dedman wrote:The driver in the clip is Hans Stuck. He is one of the best around. I donâ??t think you are qualified to critique his driving ability.
x2
Perediablo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Perediablo »

Stuck is a badazz. great vid thanks for posting it. Now i can't wait to get home a play a little GTR myself.
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

Perediablo wrote:...Now i can't wait to get home a play a little GTR myself.

dang...I miss my Playstation :(
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

Tricord wrote:Yes, I do race BMW's...he is driving a "claw box" gearbox (not sure how to translate it). Basically you shift without clutch, and the technique is quite different from shifting a regular gearbox.

Is that the transmission that keeps the gears synchronized with the motors rpms @ all times?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Get GTR for the PC. I have it and it's the best. Now I need to get some $$ and buy GT Legends form the same makers.
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

CDN_Merlin wrote:Get GTR for the PC. I have it and it's the best. Now I need to get some $$ and buy GT Legends form the same makers.

Did you forget my PII 400mghz system...hell my Playstation was faster than my pc :lol: