New Computer Troubles

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

New Computer Troubles

Post by DarkShadow »

Hardware

1.) AMD Sempron 2600+ 1.6GHz Socket 754 64-Bit Processor Retail
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDe ... Code=80501

2.) Biostar GeForce 6100-M7 GeForce 6100 Athlon 64/Sempron Skt754 DDR M-ATX Motherboard w/Audio, Video, LAN, RAID/Serial ATA Retail
1600MT/s, ATA/133, 2DDR DIMM, 1 PCI Express x16, 1 PCI Express x1, 2PCI, USB 2.0, Audio, Video, LAN, RAID/SATA
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDe ... ode=249010

3.) Corsair VS256MB400 256MB DDR400 PC3200 CAS2.5 Value Select Memory Retail Lifetime Warranty
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDe ... de=80093-6

4.) Western Digital WD Caviar WD800JD 80GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDe ... e=101206-1

5.) ATRIX CSCI-L8005-C43 Black/Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 400W Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6811209002

6.)LITE-ON Black 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X CD-ROM 1.5M Cache IDE CD Burner - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6827106999

A friend and I put this system together with no problems but it will not display video or beep when you power on.
We disconnected all drives no change.
We pulled the memory so only the CPU was in and got 1 long beep every other second which in the manual means no memory installed.
We reinstalled the memory and still no video. We tired both slots. I don't have and other DDR400 memory to try.
The keyboard lights blink on power up but CAPS, NUMLOCK, and, SCROLL LOCK do not light up when pushed.
Tried Clearing the CMOS with the jumper still nothing.
All the fans spin up and run, CPU and case. All lights also.
Tried disconnecting 1 fan and the front lights incase the PSU couldn't handle it.

Anyone got any other ideas? Any stupid little things I'm forgetting?
Matrix
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Matrix »

I take it that u are using the onboard video?
If so is there a jumper to enable/disable the onboard video?

Few other things u can check:

Check and make sure the board is not making any contact to the case where it isn’t supposed to be, u used motherboard mounting studs when u installed the motherboard into the case right?

Try reseating the CPU.

Remove the motherboard from the case and run the system out on a table.

If not it sounds like the board could be dead, biostar does make some pretty cheap boards :P

It doesn’t sound like the CPU is the problem tho cuz u went from having no beeps to a valid post code when removing the RAM.

GL
(22:58) [X]LunchBoxInVirginia: I see myself standing on top of a pyramid standing in 'Sun God' like robes with thousands of naked women screaming my name. throwing little pickles at me
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by DarkShadow »

Matrix wrote:I take it that u are using the onboard video?
If so is there a jumper to enable/disable the onboard video?
Not that I can find any where on the board or in the manual so I figure not.
Matrix wrote:Check and make sure the board is not making any contact to the case where it isn’t supposed to be, u used motherboard mounting studs when u installed the motherboard into the case right?
It doesn't look like it is making any contact where it should not. Yes we used MB mounting studs.
Matrix wrote:Try reseating the CPU.
That is what I am going to try in a little bit or in the morning.
Matrix wrote:Remove the motherboard from the case and run the system out on a table.
I will try that if the reseating doesn't do it.
Matrix wrote:If not it sounds like the board could be dead, biostar does make some pretty cheap boards :P
I know. :)
Matrix wrote:GL
Thanks for the quik reply.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Power supply?
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkShadow »

My friend who helped me build it is going to test the memory in his computer since it uses DDR400 also and my other one uses DDRR333.
If it isn't the problem then I will try running the MB out of the case for any grounding issues. If that is not it I will try my MGE Vigor 450 Power supply out of this computer to eliminate the PSU as the problem. Scince I can't get into the BIOS I can't check the voltages in the Hardware Monitor.

I reseated the CPU and removed and reinstalled the MB to make sure all the posts and screws were in right.

My question now is With built in video since it shares memory with the system would anything show on the screen when no memory is installed?

Got this back from Boistar today.

Have you tried any trouble shooting like other memory, cpu, reset cmos, or other PSU?
Also try to power up from outside of the case first to make sure it’s not a grounding problem inside the case.

Thank You

Biostar USA

Sound familiar?
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

The beeping when no memory is present is normal for when there ISN'T memory in there. Memory must be present for any system(except for an 8088).

Make sure for the memory you have the right speed and size that your mobo can support. Also, make sure you have the right data rate, that being SDR (single data rate) or DDR(double data rate).
Matrix
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Matrix »

ROFL @ Above post.
DarkShadow wrote:My friend who helped me build it is going to test the memory in his computer since it uses DDR400 also and my other one uses DDRR333.
DDR400 will work in a DDR333 system, it is backwards compatible.
DarkShadow wrote: Got this back from Boistar today.

Have you tried any trouble shooting like other memory, cpu, reset cmos, or other PSU?
Also try to power up from outside of the case first to make sure it’s not a grounding problem inside the case.

Thank You

Biostar USA

Sound familiar?
haha the cheaters, taking my tips :P
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Also it's impossible to put SDR memory in a DDR slot, DDR memory uses 184 pins, SDR uses 168, DDR2 uses 240 pins. It is physically impossible to insert the wrong kind of RAM into a slot without breaking the slot, the RAM or both.
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by DarkShadow »

Matrix wrote:DDR400 will work in a DDR333 system, it is backwards compatible.
Well he didn't have time so I put it my system and it went from 512 to 768 meg so the memory is fine.

Does not run out of the case either and the PSU will power and run my system fine.
Gues it's time for a Zipzoomfly RMA. :cry:
Matrix wrote:haha the cheaters, taking my tips :P
Excatly what I was thinking.

Guess that means I wll now have to go through the hassle scraping the pad off the heatsink and the little off the CPU and put on some artic silver 3 luckly I just found my AS 3. Considering this computer will never be pushed to it limits I didn't really want to go through that.
Matrix
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Matrix »

About getting that old thermal pad off, those can really be a pain and u can scratch the button of the HS up if you use a razor to clean it off.

I normally use 91% ISO Alcohol to soften the pad up, if that doesn't work, gunk off is a little stronger.
And if that doesn't do it, pull out the blow dryer or heat gun and warm that gunk up until it’s soft and will rub right off.

GL with your RMA, tho it should be painless with ZZF =)
(22:58) [X]LunchBoxInVirginia: I see myself standing on top of a pyramid standing in 'Sun God' like robes with thousands of naked women screaming my name. throwing little pickles at me
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkShadow »

Got the new board back today. Getting the pad off was painless 91% and alittle rubbing took it right off. Put on Artic Sliver 3 I had laying around from my computer I built 2 1/2 years ago. Boot right up and was running at 27c according to the BIOS.

So it's up and running just can't get it to my dad till he is back in town next week.

Thanks for the help.
Matrix
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Matrix »

np, glad to hear that fixed it
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkShadow »

Well here we go again. :roll: The computer blue screened and would reboot every time XP tried to boot back up. So I did a complete format and reinstall installed everything then ran the Western Digital tool which found bad sectors on the drive.

I went to thier site and got the registration info in. Got to the contact page for thier phone number and blue screen kernal error. Rebooted and got the number.

Called them just now and had no problems they are sending me a new drive and the packaging to return the old one.

Last time when one of my 80's died from the big outpost.com sale that was posted in the marketplace here they wanted to see the results from the tool uploading to thier web page which I could do then since I had a backup drive with XP on glad I didn't have to fight with them about that this time.

Just thought I would throw out another update.