What is a good gaming mouse out there?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

What is a good gaming mouse out there?

Post by Top Wop »

I'm looking to replace my aging Razer Boomslang 2000. I looked at Razer's lineup, but given the unfortunate production stories of the 2500 (now renamed the 2100, yes they brought the speed down to fix the problems they were having) and given the fact that their laser driven mouse (viper) does not have as many buttons as I would like to have, im wondering if there is something else out there I can try out.

Mayby something that has at least more than 3 buttons and an on-the-fly adjustment of the sensitivity would be nice. I looked at the Logitech MX line but im wondering if there is something else out there I should consider. Its a new millennium and im planning on avoiding ball-driven mice like the plague. Thanks for your suggestions!
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

MX 500 or 700.

800 dpi sensors, which IIRC, no one else uses.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

or 900, even better then the 700
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Another vote for Logitech mice. My main rig uses an MX300 and I love it. It might be hard to find locally, but you can find em online pretty easily. The MX310 replaced it and it has more buttons (1 on either side, in addition to the usual 2 + scroll). The MX500, 700 (wireless), and 900 (Bluetooth) have more buttons but were too big for my taste.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

isn't the 900 just a bluetooth version of the mX700?
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

i have an mx310, very happy with it. i'd reccomend some sort of logitech, only mice ive ever used and ive never been given a reason to switch ;)
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

fliptw wrote:isn't the 900 just a bluetooth version of the mX700?
sorta. Mechanicly, yes, but bluetooth is
1) further reaching then FastRF (Great for the couch on a HTPC)
2) Faster then FastRF for more accuracy and less lag.
BfDiDDy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BfDiDDy »

any logitech under the 700 model are made for women, Be a man and get either the 700 or 900. :P
KtheC'
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

mouse

Post by KtheC' »

I use a logitech wireless tackball.
Works great for gaming.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

If you are left-handed, your best choice imo is a Logitech MX 310 (800 dpi, like the other models). Otherwise you can go for one of the other Logitech MX models mentioned here. Personally, I prefer cable mice as they are lighter than wireless mice and thus can be accelerated and stopped easier, making movement control and aiming more precise.

I had both a Razer Boomslang 2000 and 2100 before, and on both the main trigger button broke after about 3 months of regular use, and the 2100 never worked satisfactorily in shooter games (i.e. I always had a strange interference between the standard Windows mouse driver and the Razer driver, and acceleration did not work properly in games with the Razer - no problems with Logitech mice).

Btw, afaik the Razer guys are developing a new optical high-resolution mouse (1000 dpi or so - read more here), but given my experiences with the Boomslang series models I'd say they're not worth the money.
Scorch
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Scorch »

I like the MS Intellimouse Explorer. But then again, I have big hands and an odd mouse gripping technique :)
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

I actually love my 2000 Boomslang and its been working without a hitch for 4 years now, but its starting to wear out and I want to try something new (aside from moving away from the trackball). I imagine those buttons on the MX 900 can be programmed to another key correct? If so then im sold. Thanks!
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Yes, they can. Even the thumb button on my Cordless Mouseman Optical can be programmed to do just about anything. I just have it set up to perform the back function in browsers. (saves me from hitting ALT <- )
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Dude, get a Logitech MX510. It's optimized for video games. Oh, and make sure your computer doesn't suck. :)
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Vote against Intellimouse. They work poorly in games - and don't retain Mouse Acceleration - which is crucial in FPS type games.

MX-700 works a treat in games - for me anyway.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

Scorch wrote:I have big hands and an odd mouse gripping technique :)
I thought you were onto bigger rodents like gerbils or rabbits by now :)
REDDER
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by REDDER »

There are a few good deals on the Logitech 500 out there.

Today 3/09/04 Spoofee shows Amazon with a 39.00 prices less 10.00 = 29.00 http://www.spoofee.com/

There are some reconditioned 500's at Overstock.com
Scorch
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Scorch »

STRESSTEST wrote: I thought you were onto bigger rodents like gerbils or rabbits by now :)
Gerbils are too cliche and rabbits are a bit too big. Guinea pigs work well, though, and chinchillas are nice.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

chinchillas!!! I forgot about those little guys.. Mmmm they are soft!
Vertigo
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo »

Mobius wrote:Mouse Acceleration - which is crucial in FPS type games.
I *really* disagree :)
Having mouse acceleration increases the learning curve to get a good aim dramatically, and doesn't really offer much advantages. Just get a big enough mousepad.

I use no mouse acceleration, and for comparison, to do a 180° turn i have to move my mouse about 17cm.

This is an extremely low mousesens, but it enables me to get lightning-gun accuracies of 45-55% in an average game, against decent players. A good large mousepad negates the drawback of having a less good aim with close-combat weapons.

Also, when switching from one game to another, it's absolute hell to get the mouse accell behave identical in both games, so you don't have to adjust your aim.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Mouse accelaration is a no-no. You dont have as much control of the mouse and the pointer/recticle runs everywhere.

Geez Mobius I thought you knew better...
Scorch
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Scorch »

mouse acceleration makes baby Jesus cry
Vertigo
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo »

Top Wop wrote:Mouse accelaration is a no-no. You dont have as much control of the mouse and the pointer/recticle runs everywhere.

Geez Mobius I thought you knew better...
On the other side i got to know a nice little fact...

Looks like Zero4, one of the world's best Quake3 duellers uses a *low* sens, high accell mouseconfig o_O

I guess it could work, but i do know that it took him a LONG time to adjust to that setup...