Me

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Me

Post by Bet51987 »

There is someone playing descent3 using my name and firing fwords at everyone. I'm pretty sure I know who it is but I can't prove or do anything about it.

I just want to let you guys know that it isn't me. He follows me around, but as soon as he comes in I leave immediately. Just keep him away from the kiddie servers please.

If someone can post this to the .com forum for me I would appreciate it.

Thanks cuties

Bettina
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Seems you have no problem holding a few fans. :P
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Good to know bet.
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

I am pretty sure that I know who you think it is and if that is so then you are mistaken.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Iceman wrote:I am pretty sure that I know who you think it is and if that is so then you are mistaken.
Although you are at the very top of my list of undesirable fword hypocrytes. It wasn't you this time unless your very clever.

Bettina
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

I found out tonight that the person doing this is Geordon. I know now, because he came in as Geordon, saw me, left, and suddenly came back as me. He did it again in another game I went to.

He uses the same broken dialog and language as he does under Geordon so it was easy to figure him out.
I think he's a young boy so I don't want any server ops to ban him. I will take care of him best I can.

I just don't want him fooling the kiddie servers and getting into them as me, then letting loose. Thats why I posted this.

Cya in the mines.

Bettina
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Bettina wrote:There is someone playing descent3 using my name and firing fwords at everyone.
It's sad that this is the only way some people can make themselves feel big and important. <sigh>

Reminds me of a quote I ran into recently:

"Some people are like a Slinky. Not really good for anything, But you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs."
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Kilarin....I laughed at that quote so much I printed it out. :D
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

I first encountered this so called Imposter at the Bedlam server a long time ago.

I was at a loss.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Easy solution? Just gangbang him until he gets pissed off and leaves. :P
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

Thats not too hard to do.He's an easy target. Even for a perpetual newb like me1 ;)
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Actually, next time he goes in as me, I'm going in to every game as him, and tell everyone I like boys instead of girls. See how he likes it. :)

Bettina
RoBoT
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RoBoT »

Bet, get him banned. He needs to understand that this is unacceptable behavior, especially in the Descent community. People from all over the world play to have fun, not to have some punk steal their pilot name and trash it by throwing f-words at everyone else. If he thinks he's getting away with it with you, he's likely to do it again to someone else.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

I don't think it's Geordon. Geordon doesn't know words like \"Scabrous Chancre-ridden Hag\"...
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Talk to server ops over at http://www.descentforum.net/ServerOps/ and try to get the ip. Then have the ops check their logs for that ip to find out who it is resp. have him banned.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

I'm gonna wait a few days more. I'm really uncomfortable with getting someone banned. Maybe he will calm down in a few days. Maybe others will talk to him.

Thanks... :)

Bettina
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Zantor »

Bet51987 wrote:I found out tonight that the person doing this is Geordon. I know now, because he came in as Geordon, saw me, left, and suddenly came back as me. He did it again in another game I went to.

He uses the same broken dialog and language as he does under Geordon so it was easy to figure him out.
I think he's a young boy so I don't want any server ops to ban him. I will take care of him best I can.

I just don't want him fooling the kiddie servers and getting into them as me, then letting loose. Thats why I posted this.

Cya in the mines.

Bettina
I suggest he be kicked if he starts doing it. That is absolutely unacceptable in my point of view.
RoBoT wrote:Bet, get him banned. He needs to understand that this is unacceptable behavior, especially in the Descent community. People from all over the world play to have fun, not to have some punk steal their pilot name and trash it by throwing f-words at everyone else. If he thinks he's getting away with it with you, he's likely to do it again to someone else.
I wholeheartedly agree, Robot.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

If it is Geordon, he was mean to kids... when Xray and Wheeler were playing.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Re:

Post by Iceman »

Iceman wrote:I am pretty sure that I know who you think it is and if that is so then you are mistaken.
LOL, I believe this statement still stands ...
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Iceman wrote:
LOL, I believe this statement still stands ...

Geordon is a trouble maker because he's young. The other person also seems young and hopefully I will be able to handle it. Either way I don't want anyone banned.

You, on the other hand, are older and have no excuse, so go ahead and have your fun whether its you doing it or not. Either way I will never forgive you for firing those fwords at me nonstop while another girl was playing with me, and you did that more than once. When Lothar called you on that, you refused to be a man and talk to him.

You call yourself a Christian but your not. You put on a good act, but in reality, your a lowlife hypocryte of the worst kind and are at the very top of my very short list. So please go fword some other kids and leave me alone.

Bettina
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

A little touchy this evening there Betsy? :D
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Heh, too bad you weren't around when my clan first started. I was trying to influence these exact same things. I never could win it seemed. Well I guess I did, sort-of. No one likes an idiot like that but I've learned to just accept it and let him do his thing. I just bounce over to another server and ignore him.

Sounds like he has some sort of mental issue here though. That is what is a bit scary to me. I know we have had hackers and cocky idiots like that one but I haven't seen someone do it under another individuals name before.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

It's not geordon..Unless geordon learned to chord. Which he hasn't. If Iceman says it's not him, I'd take his word for it. I've never known him to be shy.

There's some other idiot out there as well, this clown has a few skills and a filthy mouth.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

I know who it was and its not geordon, and while i am unwilling to reveal his identity i assure you its not me i dont want him getting banned so im just gonna say stop messing around dude :P
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Behemoth wrote:I know who it was and its not geordon, and while i am unwilling to reveal his identity i assure you its not me i dont want him getting banned so im just gonna say stop messing around dude :P
What he's doing to me is far from messing around. He stole my name and started swearing at everyone then comes into games that I'm playing and ridicules me. The game isn't fun for me when that happens.

So you go ahead and have your fun and protect him. Today it was "Spawner" who started on me. Tommorrow it will be someone else. Thanks for the help.
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Money! »

WarAdvocat wrote:It's not geordon..Unless geordon learned to chord. Which he hasn't. If Iceman says it's not him, I'd take his word for it. I've never known him to be shy.

There's some other idiot out there as well, this clown has a few skills and a filthy mouth.
Maybe you should take a hint from this horrible ordeal Bunbun... remember *stank? :wink:
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

ahahahahah that was different Money, my man! I revealed my identity immediately! :)
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Whoa! Are we actually talking about banning someone for using a certain name and speaking certain words?

Let's get some perspective here! That just sounds wrong to me. It's a game and it's just words, and whoever it was, was just messing around.

Bettina, honestly you have made yourself a target with all your complaints about language. Granted, I don't really agree with what these people have done with your name. But I also believe in leading by example... and whining about it when people don't follow your example isn't necessarily a good example.

*cough*Bunyip*cough*

Excuse me. I think I'm coming down with something. ;P
-Suncho
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

Suncho wrote:Let's get some perspective here! That just sounds wrong to me. It's a game and it's just words, and whoever it was, was just messing around.
From childhood experiences, the most annoying words to be told is "its juat a game"!

And Bettina, if someone goes round putting a bad reputation on your name, its most likely that that person would not actually play the game properly, so dont feel too bad about banning him if necessary.

And if it is a young person, then I can tell you, he/she will not go away! I know this from experience. (Remember, I am 15)
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

I didn't say \"It's just a game.\" I said it's just words. It's one thing if someone you know is being mean to you. But gosh... banning someone from a server for what they say and what name they use???
-Suncho
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by WarAdvocat »

Suncho wrote:*cough*Bunyip*cough*

HUH?

Oh, never mind I guess you saw what I said in chat ;) That happened almost 2 years ago. heh.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Suncho wrote:Whoa! Are we actually talking about banning someone for using a certain name and speaking certain words?

Let's get some perspective here! That just sounds wrong to me. It's a game and it's just words, and whoever it was, was just messing around.

Bettina, honestly you have made yourself a target with all your complaints about language. Granted, I don't really agree with what these people have done with your name. But I also believe in leading by example... and whining about it when people don't follow your example isn't necessarily a good example.

*cough*Bunyip*cough*

So in other words, you wouldn't mind if someone used "Suncho" as his new name, joined servers that say "G-rated server, keep it clean", then disrupt those who are playing and repeatedly fword players. Then when your "target" leaves, follow him and keep doing it. If your comfortable with that then what you consider "just wrong" is different than mine.Your friends will know its not you but that won't be true of all players. Every game you go into from now on, some will want you to prove its really you which is happening to me right now. I don't call that just messing around.

Its more than "just a name" because the name is attached to me and some younger players may not understand because they don't come here. Thats what really bothers me the most. I have also said repeatedly that I'm against banning anyone, right from the young troublemaker, all the way down to the that lowlife hypocrite. I don't want to ban anyone, I just want to be left alone.

I made a big mistake using my real name and now I'm toying with changing everything to an anonymous character both here and in the games. Thats bad, because its a lot more fun playing someone called "Thecope" knowing that person is on the dbb, than it is playing someone who is incognito. I just don't enjoy it as much.

Anyway, I'm surprised at those who would defend someone like this, and also surprised you think keeping the games clean is whining. Your a good guy Suncho, we just disagree on degrees of wrong. Anyway, I'm off to the mall with my friends.

Bettina

Thanks Tigerassault :wink:
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

How often do you post this kind of crap?
Nobody really cares Bet. Grow skin. Play the game.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by Suncho »

Bet51987 wrote:So in other words, you wouldn't mind if someone used "Suncho" as his new name, joined servers that say "G-rated server, keep it clean", then disrupt those who are playing and repeatedly fword players. Then when your "target" leaves, follow him and keep doing it. If your comfortable with that then what you consider "just wrong" is different than mine.Your friends will know its not you but that won't be true of all players. Every game you go into from now on, some will want you to prove its really you which is happening to me right now. I don't call that just messing around.
I see people use the name Suncho sometimes. I don't care. If someone mouths off in a server that explicitly says "G-Rated" then ban him. I've been banned from many servers for far less. In the end, it's up to the server op. But unless the guy is cheating, I'd ban on a server-by-server basis. So ban the people who can't contain their cursing from the G-rated server.
Bettina wrote:Its more than "just a name" because the name is attached to me and some younger players may not understand because they don't come here. Thats what really bothers me the most. I have also said repeatedly that I'm against banning anyone, right from the young troublemaker, all the way down to the that lowlife hypocrite. I don't want to ban anyone, I just want to be left alone.
Well, most of us establish our identities in chat and you never come to chat, so I can see why you might want to keep your name "pure." Just remember these things:

1. Most people disagree with your no cursing policy.
2. You don't come into chat to establish yourself.
3. Even most people who try not to curse don't go around hitting people over the head with their particular beliefs.
4. If young kids are playing this game, they should have parental supervision anyway. It's not your job to protect them. Most Descent players are between 20 and 50 years old.
Bettina wrote:I made a big mistake using my real name and now I'm toying with changing everything to an anonymous character both here and in the games. Thats bad, because its a lot more fun playing someone called "Thecope" knowing that person is on the dbb, than it is playing someone who is incognito. I just don't enjoy it as much.
Flying incognito might not be a bad idea. Maybe you'll finally appreciate how much people do go out of their way to respect your idiosyncratic beliefs and rules.
Bettina wrote:Anyway, I'm surprised at those who would defend someone like this, and also surprised you think keeping the games clean is whining. Your a good guy Suncho, we just disagree on degrees of wrong. Anyway, I'm off to the mall with my friends.
Keep games clean by setting an example. Instead of telling other people what they should believe or how they should live their lives, be an active role model. As an atheist, you should know that it's impossible to convince everyone to follow your beliefs.
-Suncho
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Re:

Post by Diedel »

Suncho wrote:Whoa! Are we actually talking about banning someone for using a certain name and speaking certain words?

*cough*Bunyip*cough*

Suncho,

#1 We are talking about a stalker deliberately trying to ruin the reputation of someone else in a small gamers' community. This is not acceptable.

#2 This is not about an occasional bad word in the heat of battle. Excessive swearing in online games also isn't acceptable - just as little as IRL. And if you consider how well most Descentr's know each other, it's closer to RL than you might think.

#3 Given #2, Bet very much has a point. Unfortunately, there are a few immature idiots around in this community to whom it seems to give something to make a target of someone who is sensitive for it. This is merely a sign of a poor character. I had been attacked like that a few times myself, but those people aren't worth the air it would take me to respond to them, so I usually ignore them.

I wonder why in all the earth rude and sociopathic behaviour is acceptable in an online game - where the people who are playing are real people seeking real fun - with the lame excuse of separating it from RL; while in RL such behaviour is not acceptable.

Bet,

an advice to you: Don't leave games where this happens to you, but make a stand, tell the others it's an imposter and hunt him down till he starts to whine and weep and leaves himself. And if you aren't playing good enough (yet), leaving is not the way to get good enough. ;) If you can make some up, post witty replies ridiculing the other guy w/o using (too) bad language. (I remember having been called 'gay' in some online game, and I replied "contrary to you, at least I do have a d*ck". Everybody laughed at the other guy, and he eventually left. ;))
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

[Edit: Seems you beat me to the punch, Deidel.]

There seems to be some misunderstanding here.

Bettina isn't complaining that \"some players use foul language in game\". We all know that, and I'd venture to guess that she doesn't expect everyone to just quit using those words altogether.

Her complaint is that there are players who intentionally harass and mis-represent her. This is not a case of, \"Oh, I'm offended you used that word.\" It's a case of someone being specifically targeted, and intentionally made to feel unwelcome.

You may think it's not a big deal - that it's \"just the guys being themselves\". Maybe, but I don't think so. Even the little I've seen of the kind of treatment Bettina has endured is way off balance; every regular player has gone through a little razzing once they become known, but from what I've seen, she gets it almost constantly. Honestly, I'm impressed by the way she's handled it. A lesser soul would have just left.

Oh, and on the issue of throwing around \"f-words\", everyone here should be mature enough to cut back on the adult language when specifically asked, or when joining a \"G-Rated\" server. It normally doesn't bother me, but I've had to ask that myself a couple of times, because of other people in the room. And to their credit, the mature players in the game have generally done so. I hope that's the case here.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I stand by what I said earlier: if I ever come across this bastard in-game, I'll hound him until he gets bored or pissed off and leaves. Scum like that don't deserve to play this game. Whoever he is, he needs to grow a pair and STFU.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

100% behind Bettina here.
Suncho wrote:1. Most people disagree with your no cursing policy.
You may be right, but there are also those of us who agree, and I don't see what it has to do with the issue in any case.
Suncho wrote:2. You don't come into chat to establish yourself.
Because she's not interested in IRC people should feel free to impersonate, slander, and harass her?
3. Even most people who try not to curse don't go around hitting people over the head with their particular beliefs.
She doesn't like the way you talk. You tell her to ignore you. You don't like the way she talks, take your own advice.
4. If young kids are playing this game, they should have parental supervision anyway. It's not your job to protect them. Most Descent players are between 20 and 50 years old.
I agree with you that youngsters should have supervision on the net. Even the people we think we know here, we don't really know.

BUT, the complaint was that Bettina has tried to build up a reputation as being kid friendly. Someone is taking advantage of that. They are probably just an annoying jerk, but predator status shouldn't be dismissed. Bettina warning folks was a very responsible action.

In any case, the end result of this is someone trying to make it look like Bettina is doing something Bettina wouldn't do. Bettina's reaction to this is actually rather mild in my opinion. She hasn't gone for the ban, which would have certainly been a reasonable response in my opinion. She just came on to warn people that no, it isn't her, and don't trust this person. Anything else would have been irresponsible.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

I just want to say thanks to those who understood the meaning of my request. It really brought me up from a very down day.

Suncho, you didn't get my meaning and I didn't know I had to be in IRC to be \"established\" whatever that means. Maybe you can explain that to me in a PM cause I thought I already was established and from reading your post, I didn't know you felt that strongly about my whining. That made me feel bad and I'm sorry we couldn't have been better friends.

As far as voice chat. No way. The last thing I need is someone taping my voice and using it in a tuant. I treat chat like I treat the NHB and the other dbb. I just don't go there.

Anyway, I'm going to try Deidels, and the other advice I received. Its only the one using my name that I'm upset about, and for those of you who know who it is, and I'm sure you do, I would be in your debt if you would just talk to him. I don't want him banned.

Bettina
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by Suncho »

Diedel wrote:

*cough*Bunyip*cough*

Suncho,

#1 We are talking about a stalker deliberately trying to ruin the reputation of someone else in a small gamers' community. This is not acceptable.
Yes. We are talking about a stalker. We are probably talking about someone who is offended by the way Bettina treats people who curse. Having been a victim of this first hand, I can attest that it is not fun.

No doubt, the goal of his stalking activities *WAS* to make Bettina unwelcome. While I've never stalked Bettina before, I can totally understand why someone would.

If Bettina wants to stir the pot and force her beliefs down everybody's throats, that's her call. But, in my opinion, she shouldn't complain when she suffers the consequences. If she starts a fight, she should be willing to fight.
Diedel wrote:#2 This is not about an occasional bad word in the heat of battle.
It *IS* about the occasional bad word. If Bettina didn't complain every time someone cursed, I bet you this person wouldn't be stalking her.
Diedel wrote:Excessive swearing in online games also isn't acceptable - just as little as IRL.
That's where you're wrong. D3 is a diverse community full of people who have different beliefs and different ways of expressing themselves. Instead of trying to supress these people who are different, we should, at the very least, be tolerant of them.
Diedel wrote:And if you consider how well most Descentr's know each other, it's closer to RL than you might think.
I've been to over 15 LANs and I've probably met more than 75% of the active members of this board in person. I don't need a lecture on how close to real life Descent is. Descent is a part of real life, and in real life it might be courteous not to swear, but it's also courteous not to call other people out because they swore.
Diedel wrote:#3 Given #2, Bet very much has a point. Unfortunately, there are a few immature idiots around in this community to whom it seems to give something to make a target of someone who is sensitive for it.
If someone calls me a cheater and convinces several server ops to ban me from his server, I will make him a target. End of story.
Diedel wrote:This is merely a sign of a poor character.
Honestly, I think there's enough poor character to go around. If Bettina had respected people and respected the fact that some of them are different from her, none of this would have started.
Diedel wrote:I had been attacked like that a few times myself, but those people aren't worth the air it would take me to respond to them, so I usually ignore them.
Exactly. By complaining about it, she's just fanning the flames.
Diedel wrote:I wonder why in all the earth rude and sociopathic behaviour is acceptable in an online game - where the people who are playing are real people seeking real fun - with the lame excuse of separating it from RL; while in RL such behaviour is not acceptable.
It's not, but some people think it is. Do you think Bettina goes around asking random strangers on the street not to curse? I doubt it.
[/quote]
Foil wrote:There seems to be some misunderstanding here.

Bettina isn't complaining that "some players use foul language in game". We all know that, and I'd venture to guess that she doesn't expect everyone to just quit using those words altogether.
There's a perception that she expects people not to curse when they're in a game with her. This perception is likely what lead to the stalking. If it's not true, then it was a Bettina imposter who called me a jerk when I ripped into the other player in the game for repeatedly calling me a cheater.
Foil wrote:Her complaint is that there are players who intentionally harass and mis-represent her. This is not a case of, "Oh, I'm offended you used that word." It's a case of someone being specifically targeted, and intentionally made to feel unwelcome.
Yes. That's the point. It's highly likely that this player is trying to get Bettina to stop playing the game altogether. It's possible he feels that Bettina's attitude is hurting the Descent community and we'd be better off without it.
Foil wrote:You may think it's not a big deal - that it's "just the guys being themselves". Maybe, but I don't think so. Even the little I've seen of the kind of treatment Bettina has endured is way off balance; every regular player has gone through a little razzing once they become known, but from what I've seen, she gets it almost constantly. Honestly, I'm impressed by the way she's handled it. A lesser soul would have just left.
The reason I don't think it's a big deal is because she's asking for it. She's provoking and offending members of this community. That's her call if she wants to do that. But she also shouldn't be surprised when there's backlash from her actions.

Coming to the DBB for help is certainly her call as well, but, in my opinion, it would be better for her to handle this herself. I also don't believe that someone should be banned simply for fighting back.
Foil wrote:Oh, and on the issue of throwing around "f-words", everyone here should be mature enough to cut back on the adult language when specifically asked, or when joining a "G-Rated" server.
My issue here isn't the banning of someone for using an "fword" on a G-Rated server. Server ops can ban people as they choose. That's they're call. If you break the rule on a server, you might get banned. Sometimes even if you don't, you might get banned. My gripe is that people are trying to ban this guy from all servers... even the ones that aren't G-rated.
Foil wrote: It normally doesn't bother me, but I've had to ask that myself a couple of times, because of other people in the room. And to their credit, the mature players in the game have generally done so. I hope that's the case here.
That's fine. By changing their behavior, they showed a respect for your beliefs and they showed an understanding of the fact that they were offending you. If only more people would be as mature as they were. =)
Top Gun wrote:I stand by what I said earlier: if I ever come across this bastard in-game, I'll hound him until he gets bored or pissed off and leaves.
See? This is what I'm talking about. Top Gun, you probably just said something pretty close what the stalker said before he started hounding Bettina. Way to show maturity. :roll:
Kilarin wrote:You may be right, but there are also those of us who agree, and I don't see what it has to do with the issue in any case.
It has to do with the issue, because we've got a diverse community and that diversity needs to be respected. There will always be people who hold opposing view points, and in the end we're here primarily to enjoy Descent together and not to try to convert people over to our belief systems.
Kilarin wrote:Because she's not interested in IRC people should feel free to impersonate, slander, and harass her?
No. Because she's not interested in IRC, she has to establish her identity primarily through the games she plays. This allows the stalker to completely destroy her image. If she participated in chat, the stalker might still be there doing his thing that he does, but her image would be more or less intact. Also, because she doesn't come into chat, people talk about her and she's not there to stand up for herself and these rules she's trying to impose on us.
Kilarin wrote:She doesn't like the way you talk. You tell her to ignore you. You don't like the way she talks, take your own advice.
Personally, I don't curse much. If she doesn't like the way I talk, I don't tell her to ignore me. I don't tell her anything. I just play.
Kilarin wrote:BUT, the complaint was that Bettina has tried to build up a reputation as being kid friendly. Someone is taking advantage of that. They are probably just an annoying jerk, but predator status shouldn't be dismissed. Bettina warning folks was a very responsible action.
In games, anyone can be anyone. Nobody can build up a reliable reputation. I think it would be a more responsible action for Bettina to quit complaining about cursing so as not to provoke people who go into games and continually curse at her and the kids she's playing with.
Kilarin wrote:In any case, the end result of this is someone trying to make it look like Bettina is doing something Bettina wouldn't do.
Yes. That's what the end result is.
Bettina wrote:Bettina's reaction to this is actually rather mild in my opinion.
Are you kidding? This kind of stuff happens to people all the time. Not very many people post on the DBB complaining about it.
Kilarin wrote:She hasn't gone for the ban, which would have certainly been a reasonable response in my opinion.
I disagree here.
Kilarin wrote:She just came on to warn people that no, it isn't her, and don't trust this person. Anything else would have been irresponsible.
That's fine. She can do that. My objections aren't so much to what Bettina has said, but mostly to what people have said in response about how they're going to treat the stalker.
-Suncho