omfg wifi rockin your world, kick 4$$ pwnd

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

omfg wifi rockin your world, kick 4$$ pwnd

Post by Isaac »

So my budy is letting me connect to his network for free internet. The only catch is that the connection is bad. So i wanted a stronger super mega ultra antena for my pci wifi card.

So i found some sweet stuff but nothing that i can afford on my student salary.

\"if you can't buy it, build it\"
-common mantra among software developers. ftponline.com

I've found a few cool pages like, this one that has info on parts i might want, a simple desing i'm going to use, and one that's plain silly.

Right now im in a supid lab because i can't connect to my friends hub, with my weak 'indoor'antenna. But if anyof you have any cool ideas or stories about building this type of thing please tell! It could help me.

[no i don't think airsnort is funny or cool...]
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

i hear that the one that's \"plain silly\" actually works, even if it doesn't fit your art major taste. :mrgreen:
the can on this picture is a little bigger than the one i saw. the gain on the one i saw is nearly 10db.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Floyd wrote:i hear that the one that's "plain silly" actually works, even if it doesn't fit your art major taste. :mrgreen:
the can on this picture is a little bigger than the one i saw. the gain on the one i saw is nearly 10db.
lol it's 'look' isnt the reason why im not going that rout. I just think i could do better.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Why would you title this \"stupid wifi\"?

Wifi isn't stupid, but it does have a tendency to be flakey - even WITH good antennas.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Mobius wrote:Why would you title this "stupid wifi"?

Wifi isn't stupid, but it does have a tendency to be flakey - even WITH good antennas.
my bad
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Build an antenna out of a pringles can. I did this about a year ago for a little fun. It only cost me about $30 (the cable and connector was the most expensive) and allowed me to connect to my neighbor 4 houses down. I don't use it any more but I still have it laying around. I used the Fiery Hot pringles can for coolness. But seriously, this is probably the cheapest way to get better range on your wifi, just build your own yagi antenna. Here is the exact website I used to make mine complete with parts list.

There are also plans on the internet somewhere to make one out of a coffee can but I stuck with Pringles as I don't drink coffee ;)

Here's some pictures of mine:
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Building yourself an effective wi-fi booster antenna out of a tin can could earn you some extra elite techy points, which depending on your point of view could be a good or a bad thing. :P
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

People don't understand why I just can't manage to get myself all excited about wi-fi. I mean, it's nice for a laptop, but if you want to connect a desktop, run the wiring.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Xamindar »

snoopy wrote:People don't understand why I just can't manage to get myself all excited about wi-fi. I mean, it's nice for a laptop, but if you want to connect a desktop, run the wiring.
Very true snoopy. Even in the same house the connection can be unreliable. Anything from microwave ovens and cordless phones seem to be able to intrerfere. I know that with a Linksys wrt54g you can flash the rom and allow many new features including increasing the power to the radio.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

Xamindar wrote:I know that with a Linksys wrt54g you can flash the rom and allow many new features including increasing the power to the radio.
Prior to V5 you mean. Only on V1 - V4, and the WRT54GL can you do that. V5 uses a proprietary firmware (VXWorks) so if you want to use third-party stuff you're screwed.
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Gun »

snoopy wrote:People don't understand why I just can't manage to get myself all excited about wi-fi. I mean, it's nice for a laptop, but if you want to connect a desktop, run the wiring.
What if you only want to connect a desktop for a limited amount of time? Or if laying the wiring would involve far too much work for the payback, or going through too many walls? Or if you don't have the manual experience to do it yourself and don't want to pay out the wazoo for someone to come in and do it for you? I'm planning on buying a wireless router when I go home for the summer, so that I can have my desktop set up upstairs; there'd be absolutely no point in laying any sort of permanent wiring for something that'll be there for just three months.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

I'm sure snoopy was referring to having a desktop there on a \"permanent\" basis, not for something along the lines of what you're talking about.
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Starting monday i'm going to start building this thing. It should be cool.

Krom wrote:Building yourself an effective wi-fi booster antenna out of a tin can could earn you some extra elite techy points, which depending on your point of view could be a good or a bad thing. :P
It would be really cool if i could amp the signal with out breaking any thing.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

Isaac wrote:Starting monday i'm going to start building this thing. It should be cool.

Krom wrote:Building yourself an effective wi-fi booster antenna out of a tin can could earn you some extra elite techy points, which depending on your point of view could be a good or a bad thing. :P
It would be really cool if i could amp the signal with out breaking any thing.
Just don't do it too much, or you'll have the FCC on your six.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

MD-2389 wrote:
Just don't do it too much, or you'll have the FCC on your six.
Hold everything.. Wtf? Could i be breaking a law with this? Or are you kidding around?
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

You will be breaking the law. It will amplify your signal well beyond the permitted range.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Xamindar »

DCrazy wrote:You will be breaking the law. It will amplify your signal well beyond the permitted range.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a yagi antenna just *focused* the signal, not amplified it. So how would he be breaking the law? I mean they even sell larger antennas at computer stores for some wifi devices.
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

May not be entirely illegal but you gotta read the fine print...

http://wifinetnews.com/archives/004024.html
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Xamindar wrote:Build an antenna out of a pringles can. I did this about a year ago for a little fun. It only cost me about $30 (the cable and connector was the most expensive) and allowed me to connect to my neighbor 4 houses down. I don't use it any more but I still have it laying around. I used the Fiery Hot pringles can for coolness. But seriously, this is probably the cheapest way to get better range on your wifi, just build your own yagi antenna. Here is the exact website I used to make mine complete with parts list.

There are also plans on the internet somewhere to make one out of a coffee can but I stuck with Pringles as I don't drink coffee ;)

Here's some pictures of mine:
I'm having troble finding a conector for my antena. I've only checked at target,walmart, best buy, and HEB. Do you think radio shack might have them or homedepot? Thows stores would be hard for me to get to.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

UPDATE!

I found out that if i just turn my computer 45deg i can pick up twice as many connections... wierd.. anyway. IM BACK ONLINE!
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Xamindar »

Isaac wrote: I'm having troble finding a conector for my antena. I've only checked at target,walmart, best buy, and HEB. Do you think radio shack might have them or homedepot? Thows stores would be hard for me to get to.
There are MANY places online that will provide them. I found a place that provided a pre-built 3' cable package just for making your own antenna. First you need to find out what connector your wireless card uses. Mine is a d-link and it uses type "RP SMA". Look at this site for a good look at the connector types. The other end of my antenna cable (the one connected to the can) is type "RP TNC" also listed on that site. I doesn't really matter what type of connector that end uses but TNC and BNC are good choices.

http://www.verilan.com/wirelessnetworki ... _101.shtml find out your connector type.

http://www.cantenna.com/pigtailfinder.html They have cables, not sure if you get the full connector (male and female) for the can end though.
http://www.etherdesigns.com/pages/3/index.htm another site for cables.
http://www.fab-corp.com/product.php?pro ... 264&page=1 this is probably the site I got my cable from, or at least it was something similar. I gives you the cable AND the connector that you put on your custom antenna.

They are pretty easy to find. Just search for "pigtail" and the connector type, in my case "RP SMA" because I use a d-link card.

Looks like you solved your antenna problems without building one. If you still decide to then good luck! It's a lot of fun.