dual joystick question

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

dual joystick question

Post by d3jake »

Alright, from what I\"ve been told a gamepad isn't the best thign for playing D3. Not, in light of that I decided to switch to joystick. The problem with that is that I can't find a comfortable k\\b set up to go along with it... So, since my dad has Sidewinder that he bearily uses I was wondering if they'd make a good setup (the other is a Gravis Blackhawk Digital). I ask because they're both right handed sticks so.....
Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Immortal Lobster »

whats the question? using both joysticks? for one game?

Ive used both a gameport joystick and a USB joystick together in the past, so Im sure two USB sticks would work, not sure what connections those are (too lazy to look them up) but I doubt two gameport sticks would work
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Sorry for not being clear. I meant that would it still be okay to use both sticks at the same time even though they're both right handed, and I only have 1 right hand (go figure...)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

The only thing that would prevent you from using two joysticks at once, even if they were both left handed, would be if you only had one hand.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Another option, if you haven't been able to find a working keyboard setup for your non-joystick hand is to use something like this.

I went to one of these because I couldn't get rid of those annoying key conflicts with any of the keyboards I have. I absolutely love it, and have found that it's comfortable enough that I can play longer without getting those \"key cramps\".
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I have a n52, sitting on the shelf, it was too big for my hand so it's space bar was a real pain to use, I just use my real keyboard. :P
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Any chance you soulc send it to me?

BTW, For now, I\"m using a setup that Jesus Freak gave me, I\"ll need to get used to it, but that shouldn't take too long :wink:
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Krom wrote:I have a n52, sitting on the shelf, it was too big for my hand so it's space bar was a real pain to use, I just use my real keyboard. :P
Yeah, the N52 is a bit large. But that works perfectly for me, as my hand is big enough that I used to get cramps after a while on a standard keyboard.

Oh, and I don't use the "spacebar" on the N52, at least not in D3.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Krom wrote:I have a n52, sitting on the shelf, it was too big for my hand so it's space bar was a real pain to use, I just use my real keyboard. :P
Heh, I think it is a little small for my hand! but i only use it in FPS games.

you know what they say....small hands....

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

The \"space bar\" on the N52 is horrible. It sticks too.
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

You can also try something like this:

http://www.engadget.com/2005/04/19/ergo ... ey-layout/
Sligar
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sligar »

I tried a two joystick setup for a while, the left one was a saitek evo, which is reversible:

http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/cyborg_evo.htm

I used the left stick for the motion axes and the right for pivoting. I found that it was really precise for aiming by pivoting in the general direction of the target, and then fine tuning your aim with the motion stick. Problem is that quick direction reversals are just too slow having to move that stick around. Most of the time you're using your motion axes maxed out anyway, so the stick was all the way at the end of its travel all the time. I tried using the twist for up and down, and that was pretty confusing. Another setup was trigger for forward and X and Y axes for slide. Finally, I ended up mapping motion to the left stick hats and buttons for extra speed in direction changes, and then I concluded that I might as well be using the keyboard. The precision aiming thing was great, but overall it really wasn't work the trouble. If you could find one, a joystick with really short throws would be the thing for the motion axes.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

*NECROPOST!*

You've got a good point about the left stick being slow to change slide directions. I've played it with almost every config I can think of (including the Orb), and I know the dual-stick setup isn't the fastest, but it feels the \"most right\" to me. This probably explains why I fly more smoothly, and then get my butt handed to me when I play online. After I break my sticks, I'm not sure which route I'll go. It's very tempting to go the dual stick route with reversible Cyborgs, and they're cheap enough that I may try it. Also, I run Linux, which means I can't (and don't want to) use any of those nifty \"auto-mapping\" crap programs the sticks come with nowdays... back when I started playing, you just had to practice! LOL

Here's my \"Killstick\":
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Heh, I got a config from Jesus Freak and it's working great, much better than a controller. and I like the fact that I can aim straight, helps alot with MD...
The Lion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by The Lion »

Those of you that have played against \"DIII-DereX\" or \"Derick\" probably
remember him well. He flies smoothly too, except he doesn't get his butt
handed to him...
Derek plays with 2 joysticks, too. Here's a video he recorded of it.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Well pick your poison, a config for everygame out there

mix and match folks
joy(s) / throttle / rudder pedals / mouse / n52

I should post my racing config too

Image Image
Image Image