Alternative Music Recommendations?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Alternative Music Recommendations?

Post by DCrazy »

Well, the school year's coming around again, and that means my radio show is going back into full swing. Our music director isn't really into alt rock, so I'm looking for recommendations.

I just picked up the new Flaming Lips album (At War with the Mystics) last week and I love it. More stuff along those lines would be great, though I certainly wouldn't turn down more traditional guitar-based alt rock, a la Foo Fighters or Breaking Benjamin.

Don't bother recommending Wilco. Ew. :P
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Depends how alternative you want to go.

Darkhorse is kind of into Kasabian and Franz Ferdinand at the moment. They're a bit out of left field, but both have their good points.
whuppinboy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by whuppinboy »

the speaks is a great band along with a band called built to spill..redlight music, nonpoint, ten years...the list goes on
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

A band I always recommend is Japanese rock group the pillows. They're best known for their music in the anime series FLCL, but their work from outside this series is much better. Their albums between 1995-1999 are really the best, their more recent stuff isn't as good. Unlike most modern rock bands, they actually have lead guitar and solos, and are one the bands you really should check out. Don't let Japanese vocals bother you; they're worth it.

I'd also recommend Justin King, who became well-known as an acoustic guitar virtuoso, but has been working on rock for the past few years. HIs major-label debut is supposed to be released in a few months, but you can check out some of his songs on his website (www.justinking.com) and myspace page (www.myspace.com/justinkingband).
Scorch
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Scorch »

Firewheel wrote:A band I always recommend is Japanese rock group the pillows. They're best known for their music in the anime series FLCL, but their work from outside this series is much better. Their albums between 1995-1999 are really the best, their more recent stuff isn't as good. Unlike most modern rock bands, they actually have lead guitar and solos, and are one the bands you really should check out. Don't let Japanese vocals bother you; they're worth it.

I'd also recommend Justin King, who became well-known as an acoustic guitar virtuoso, but has been working on rock for the past few years. HIs major-label debut is supposed to be released in a few months, but you can check out some of his songs on his website (www.justinking.com) and myspace page (www.myspace.com/justinkingband).
Justin King is amazing. Very talented.

How about Sigur Ros? Icelandic band, very atmospheric and avant garde. Or Weltenbrand? They are a very dark, atmopsheric symphonic band. Or Porcupine Tree, or even Opeth's Damnation album.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Franz Ferdinand: Already taken care of. I tend to play \"The Fallen\" off You Could Have it So Much Better a lot. Similar to that would be a good direction.

Sigur Ros: A bit too drifty for the show, but I'm definitely a fan. I love atmospheric music.

Opeth: Now you're starting to sound like my MD. :P

Other than that, I'll definitely look into these. Hopefully we have their stuff in the library and I don't have to take a gamble... keep suggestions coming!
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Green Day: Holiday/Boulevard of Broken Dreams
Nirvana: Heart Shaped Box, Smells Like Teen Spirit, In Bloom

Just a few recommendations.
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

Dakatsu wrote:Green Day: Holiday/Boulevard of Broken Dreams
Nirvana: Heart Shaped Box, Smells Like Teen Spirit, In Bloom

Just a few recommendations.
Those are not "alternative."

Another band you might like is Broken Social Scene. I haven't heard much indie-rock, but they're one of the more tolerable acts.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

I think we're the only station that doesn't play American Idiot twenty times an hour. :P And yes, Nirvana isn't really alt-rock, but I do play it.

I've heard about Broken Social Scene, I'll have to check them out.
Disciple
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Disciple »

Scorch
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Scorch »

What about Mars Volta? They always reminded me of the Flaming Lips. Bela Fleck is pretty damn sweet but I'm not sure how that would fit your desires. If you want some jam bands, I highly recommend moe. and Umphrey's Mcgee.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

I do play The Mars Volta (Eriatarka is one of my favorite songs).

Coincidentally, I gave away tickets to Umphrey's McGee not too long ago. Not really into jam-punk though, I'm afraid. :P
Jon the Great
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Jon the Great »

Hope this helps. :)

New Order - True Faith.mp3

The Bravery - Honest Mistake.mp3

Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - Me & Mia.mp3

Razorlight - Golden Touch (can't seem find an mp3 for this one)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Hm...

Most of the rest of the stuff I listen to leans toward progressive metal, so it's hard to give other recommendations. Bought a few Collective Soul songs recently... they were fairly good, although I'm not really sure they're alternative.
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

Sirius wrote:Most of the rest of the stuff I listen to leans toward progressive metal...
Ah! Doesn't hurt to recommend Dream Theater. Or Rush. :P
whuppinboy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by whuppinboy »

hiwatts (www.kmband.com), 30 seconds to mars and you can always throw in some old skewl candlebox, though they will have a new album out this year..
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

http://www.myspace.com/citysleeps

Walker's Ridge is great, and Prototype is good too.
-Unix
My Music
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

I passed on an opportunity to go see Candlebox for free two weeks ago. I wish I hadn't... :( I'll have to check out that new album if/when we get it.

But I am seeing Steely Dan tomorrow. So all's good.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Jon The Great.... you listen to New Order?

GOOD MAN :D I love the song True Faith. Their newest album isn't bad either.

For those that want the new album, it is in pretty much any store you can find.

Depeche Mode, Erasure, De/Vision, Cosmicity, Lasgo, Ian Van Dahl, Andy Bell, Neuropa are other good bands as well.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Firewheel wrote:A band I always recommend is Japanese rock group the pillows...
hmm, just something i'd like to bring up. Would you consider non-english speaking music as automatically alternative? Coz i've been taking a like to some music from other countrys i can't understand - in that country it's probabaly called POP, but to me it's amazing! The only problem i have with pop is the lyrics, but coz i can't hear the foriegn words my mind doesn't turn to peanut butter, it's a win win situation and both winners are me! But i'm unsure whether to call it POP, since it'd only be considered "POP" within the country oui?
everywhere else it's considered "WTFLOL".

i guess this is why we recognise "Jap-Pop" as a completely different genre to just "Pop". Heh, maybe it should be called Otaku-Pop.

Anyway ya... does POP from other countrys count, and do i therefore need to reliquinsh my music-snob membership card? :(
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

Pop and rock from Japan generally sound quite different from US/British/Whatever pop or rock. the pillows, however, have a VERY Western/American sounnd. They're very easy to get into, though some of their early music isn't as accessible. If all of their lyrics were in English (and not sung with a Japanese accent!), you would never guess they were from Japan.
whuppinboy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by whuppinboy »

DCrazy wrote:I passed on an opportunity to go see Candlebox for free two weeks ago. I wish I hadn't... :( I'll have to check out that new album if/when we get it.

But I am seeing Steely Dan tomorrow. So all's good.
shoulda brudda,i caught their dc show in july and it frikkin rocked the house down. met up with them before and afterwards for autographs, pix and stories :)
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Well, I didn't get to see Steely Dan... over-corrected while dodging a blown tire on I-95 in Havre de Grace, did a 720 across three lanes of traffic, and got clipped on the rear driver's side. Getting the KY ready for the insurance company to rape me in the ass... :(
Jon the Great
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Jon the Great »

@ Messenjah I haven't heard much from New Order but I do love True Faith and Elegia is pretty sweet as well.
roid wrote:Anyway ya... does POP from other countrys count, and do i therefore need to reliquinsh my music-snob membership card? :(
Actually if you go deep enough past the crazy popular songs that are easy to find you get to alot of good foreign rock songs. There are a definitely a few interesting songs in the foreign language bucket. :D

x2 on the music-snob membership though I feel that way all the time.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Believe it or not I'm a fan of Powderfinger (Aussie band). So yeah, I'll definitely take foreign pop/alt recommendations.
Samuel Dravis
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Samuel Dravis »

Dunno if you're wanting something like this, but here's an indie band that's one of my favorites (their first cd, Your Body Above Me, is more likely to have something you want in it, though I still recommend See the Sun, because it's really good as well):

Black Lab
Jon the Great
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Jon the Great »

Finally got around to uploading these. Two asian rock songs that might work for your radio.

High & Mighty Color - Pride.mp3 (Japanese)

Soler - Lost Soul.mp3 (Cantonese)

That's all I've got for now.
However, you can find alot of good relatively unheard of alternative music by poking around this site www.3hive.com