IE7 vs Firefox

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

IE7 vs Firefox

Post by ccb056 »

Ever since I got IE7 I havent used firefox, anyone else like this?
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

IE7 is a disgusting pile of dog sh17.

The UI on it is a despicable abortion designed by retarded morons without a brain between them. Removing the FILE menu system is the dumbest thing anyone ever did. Splitting the major controls is so ★■◆●ing stupid it's hard to know where to begin.

No - IE7 sucks donkey testicles, and I'm not \"upgrading\" (LOL!) at all, except on a virtual machine to check HTML layouts.

Please, someone post; \"Come on Mobius, tell us how you REALLY feel.\"
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

Tools - Menu Bar (check)
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Better get used to not having the file-edit-view-help-etc menus, vista is doing away with it for the most part last I heard, it was optional at the time though.

I stuck with Firefox (2.0) because I just like the feel and the compact custom toolbar layout I chose. I also tweaked the settings a bit so the browser acts in a bunch of convenient ways for me when I open new links. If I click a link on the DBB or some other site that would normally open a new window, it opens in a new tab instead. However if I click a link from an instant message window or some other external application it opens in a new window. And finally the internet isn't the internet without adblock plus running.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Websites and the people who develop them like Firefox (and other strongly standards-compliant browsers such as Opera, Konqueror, and Safari).
ccb wrote:Tools - Menu Bar (check)
The version I was trying (one of the pre-release ones is all I remember) still left no way to get rid of the new interface, so that that one and its now redundant options were still there even after enabling the menu bar. Plus IIRC it places the menu bar in some crappy non-top position.

I actually had to make a house call to my parents' neighbors house because they couldn't figure out how to print to their second printer using the new interface. They didn't seem to even know how ie7 got on their computer, but they expressed regret. I suspect that they could have been gimmicked into it on Microsoft's Website, or has ie7 been pushed as a critical update now?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Jeff250 wrote:...or has ie7 been pushed as a critical update now?
I think so.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Yeah IE7 was a critical update from the day it was released.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

I like neither. IE7 is for the obvious. Firefox because they are heading into the direction where Microsoft is at and they will soon be bedfellows.

Rather than focusing on getting some present features fixed and fixing a memory leak thats been around since the .9 days, they are adding more bloat and fluff, like the spellchecker which is best left to be a plugin rather than an integral feature. They advertise their plugin system, why not put it to use in this case? I dont need or want a new user interface. I want the resume feature on the download manager to actually work and I want the memory leaks patched up and the performance improved so that I dont feel like I need a server in order to run this browser.

And here is what really takes the cake. That mysterious bug where your bookmarks just randomly dissapear without provocation, ether in parts or in whole, has still not been fixed! How can an integral and novel function of any web broser have a \"feature\" where if you got lucky you loose your saved links? This too has been known for quite some time. At this point it is unfair to accuse them of poor coding, because they had ample time to correct it! Why have they not fixed this? Are they too busy fixing critical errors? Unlikely. They have had several minor versions and one major one after initial release to fix this, and during that time they managed to add more fluff. This shows where the priorities of the Firefox developers truely lie.

You can keep your adblock and all other sorts of quazi-useful plugins. The only browser which so far seems to adhere the most to standards is Opera. Just run the Acid 2 tests for yourself. And the only other broser which at the present time does not currently have an unpatched vulnerability seems to be Opera as well.

I may sound like a fanboy, but I am a fanboy for things that are good. If something out there is better than Opera, then I will be a fanboy for that!
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

fanboy
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

I will say that its about freaking time IE adapted the tabbed browsing feature. It's a shame their \"add-on\" feature isn't quite up to snuff compared to Firefox's plugin system.

Handy to have both, but so far IE7 is a pleasant surprise.

oh, and btw, IIRC new IE versions have usually been critical updates when they've become available, since about IE5 or somewhere around there. Might have been even longer.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

There was a lot of debate over it last summer and up into the fall over how IE7 should actually be delivered, since it's not your typical IE upgrade. I wasn't sure what MS finally decided on.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Top Wop wrote:they are adding more bloat and fluff, like the spellchecker which is best left to be a plugin rather than an integral feature.
I happen to like the spell checker. I do more typing on the Internet than in a word processor. It is useful to have.

And Opera? Please. I've tried to use Opera multiple times and insomuch as I want to like it, several pages I visit render poorly on it, but fine on Firefox. The speed difference is absolutely negligible.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

I agree that they should have made the spell checker a plugin. Hell, you don't even have to offer it on OS X, which has its own built-in spell checker for every text field. I really think Mozilla should develop official FF plugins alongside the core browser; security functionality should be the only thing built-in to the browser other than the browser engine itself.

Would be nifty if they did that and had checkboxes in the installer for the plugin options. Or even if it installed the plugins by default, you could uninstall them if you so chose.
Repo Man
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Repo Man »

Yau have all probably seen this already, but...

MS Firefox
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

lol!

I wonder who did that. :lol:
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Duper wrote:lol!

I wonder who did that. :lol:
Mozilla bought the name.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

I can't bother do download either IE7 OR Firfox2. I'll just continue using FF1 for browsing, and IE6 for Flash and Shockwave.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Mobius wrote:Removing the FILE menu system is the dumbest thing anyone ever did. Splitting the major controls is so **** stupid it's hard to know where to begin.
Press ALT.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Topher wrote:
Mobius wrote:Removing the FILE menu system is the dumbest thing anyone ever did. Splitting the major controls is so **** stupid it's hard to know where to begin.
Press ALT.
That probably went over his head