Descent 1 Level Recreation in Unreal 2004

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Duper wrote:ok, 1.6.100 in the ThrustMaster menu only is still exibiting the same behaviour that I mentioned earier.
What the......????

Are you even in the right forum/ thread for this post??

Ummmmm maybe not. :lol:

BTW: sushi.h.a., nice PTMC logo. It'll go nicely with D2x-xl! ;)
GameBum
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by GameBum »

Wow! Thease pictures are quite breath taking and very informative. If you would, could you give us a generalization of how soon all this will available for download. Thank you so much for sharing this :D
sushi.h.a.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sushi.h.a. »

Sorry about the delay.
A brief update: I have nearly finished adding in all the sound. I will be making some more custom textures and meshes. I have yet to bot path the level, and I may do that last. I also plan to make a remix of the sound track from the first level.

Take care everyone.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Cool!

Good to hear. ;)
sushi.h.a.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sushi.h.a. »

Sorry about the long delay. My main computer is presently nonfunctional. The hard drive was dieing, and in the process of replacing it with a new one, windows got thoroughly messed up. I have tried many approaches to this problem over the last 2 weeks. I am honestly awe struck at the number of potential solutions that haven’t worked in the slightest.
If your interested in the details you can visit
http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yab ... 832913/0#0
Hopefully I’ll get things up and running again, but at the moment it looks like there may not be any easy solution. I may untimely have to fully reinstall everything to a new drive with a new copy of windows.

In level oriented news, I add several new particle effects and some new level geometry.
With regard to the particle effects, I have sparks showering back from surfaces that the lava flows against. The reactor effect has been modified somewhat, and now looks a good deal more dense. I’m working on a procedural method of animating the red veins in the walls. I’m also considering making physical geometry for the veins in the area around the reactor. (i.e. three dimensional flowing red vein conduits recessed into beveled channels in the stone floor.)

Take care everyone. :)

UPDATE: (9/16/06)
I finally got my computer up and running again. I gave up on fixing the old operating system, and I am now just reinstalling and re-customizing everything.

I have continued work on the level since I got the ut2004 reinstalled a few days ago, and I'm getting close to finishing the first fully pathed and playable version.
I've done a bit more work on the lighting. I plan to build a few more general static meshes. After bot pathing the level I'll probably be pretty much done. I haven't yet reinstalled the music software with which I was remixing the original Descent 1 lunar outpost theme, but I plan to get that set up soon.
That said, recently I started playing through Descent 1 again using the \"D1x143_oglmw.exe\" patch, and I'm considering building more of the descent 1 levels. Possibly D2 and D3 levels as well. I don't know if I will at the moment, but it is tempting.

Take care everyone.

UPDATE: (10/29/06)
My computer is nearly back to normal, which I’m quite happy about, as it has been a bit slow since the onset of that hard drive ordeal. I have yet to get Maya up and running, but I’m almost back on track.

Thanks everyone, Take care.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

::bump::

Any news? :?
sushi.h.a.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sushi.h.a. »

Sorry about the long delay. There has been a lot more than normal going on over here. Things are calming down now thankfully. I have done quite a bit of work with the particle systems, fluid surfaces, sound, and optimization. I was planning on releasing a version that would be viewable but not yet multiplay ready on New Year's Day, but that has come and gone. Instead I ended up working a lot more on GroupC v3.0, (by request), and I ultimately finished and released it at 2:00am just after New Year's day.
Among other projects that I was working on in parallel with this ut2004 level is a UT tutorial/Tech-report explaining how to achieve one of the major effects I have implemented in this level. Additionally, I devoted quite a bit of time to a now finished tutorial that I will also be releasing that explains how to build table mods like GroupC. It walks through how to create and play a very simple table-mod from start (downloading the tools) to finish (seeing the results in game).
Wow... it's 1:30am, and I'm getting more off topic with each sentence. Sorry.

At any rate, while I have been working on the level over the last month or so, I will now have more time to spend on it, and I expect to release it just after finishing the optimization. Thereafter I will be making a Deathmatch and CTF version of the level. (at least)
I appreciate you’re your interest, as it has been nice to talk to people and get feed back while working on this project.
Last but not least, I’ll be posting more screenshots shortly, so if there is anything you or anyone else would like to see a picture of feel free to let me know, and it will be in the next image set. For that matter, if anyone wants, I can try to get some desktop worthy shots at 1600x1200.
Thanks again. Take care.

(Your question has spurred me on to expound upon the level for 2.5 deformed paragraphs!)
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

So where can I download this map for UT2004.
sushi.h.a.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sushi.h.a. »

UPDATE:
A prerelease of the map is now available for download.
See: Release page

Take care everyone.
-sushi