What's your job?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by DCrazy »

Jeff250 wrote:Site down? :P
You know what's NOT funny? Our host just f$#%ing died not one hour ago, and we've been playing telephone tag trying to get the damn thing fixed. Our middle-man said "For some reason, one of my remote desktops looks like Vista all of a sudden..."

So I am NOT a happy camper! :x

(typing this from a machine at the station right now, waiting for a call back)
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Software Engineer!
Dakatsu wrote:Student, 8th Grade Middle school (magnet), entering the IB program next year.
IB Rocks!
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Tech for a computer repair shop and a student.

3D artist and Descent Mobster in my double life. :D
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Used to work at Motorola as a contractor at the lab, basically doing quality control on phones such as the Razr and Krazr. Now im a full time college student.
Neumaennl
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Neumaennl »

2,5 hours to the last exam of my computer science studies. After that I'll only have to hand in 4 scientific works in 3 days (this is NOT fun) and then I can start my diploma thesis (if I don't fail at the exam and manage to hand in the scientific works in time).
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by DCrazy »

Topher wrote:IB Rocks!
/fires up an email to billg@microsoft.com... :P
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

1. You added that link.
2. You have demonstrated your inferiority to our IB intelligence since you don't know what IB stands for.

BAM!
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by DCrazy »

Topher wrote:1. You added that link.
2. You have demonstrated your inferiority to our IB intelligence since you don't know what IB stands for.

BAM!
Uh.. your joke organ is malfunctioning...

(and I've been doing far too much Cocoa programming as of late :P)

BTW: International Baccalaureate (no googling, cuz' had I done so I probably would have spelled it correctly. ;))
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Jeff250 wrote:
Duper wrote:partime grammar nazi
Yes, keep up the good work. :wink:
I was at my day job then and spelling is Mobi's Dept. ;D
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Broadband Technician, currently I'm doing Dish Network installs/svc, I'm also starting up my own company for pre-wiring new homes for voice/video/data/etc
Scorch
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Scorch »

Just graduated from college; trying to find a job as a programmer... Java or C++ or VB would be good
SolidAir
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by SolidAir »

I work as a Systems Analyst at Lockheed Martin's Missiles and Fire Control here in Orlando.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Research technician for a major multinational oil company; working in the downstream chemical area going on 31 years now.
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

I'm an Airborne Cryptologic Russian Linguist. Does anyone else have a four word title? It's such a shitty job :(
-Unix
My Music
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Sirius »

Duper wrote:I was at my day job then and spelling is Mobi's Dept. ;D
Which is all the more funny because he isn't particularly careful about spelling on these boards.

Re: topic - still studying - about to begin fourth year of Software Engineering degree.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

I'm a Character Modeler at EA (yeah okay stop throwing tomatoes at me)

Actually that might be changing soon :!:
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Sophomore in college studying to be an accountant. For now, I work at a bank as my part time job.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Topher »

Darktalyn1 wrote:I'm a Character Modeler at EA (yeah okay stop throwing tomatoes at me)

Actually that might be changing soon :!:
You're going to remove our ability to throw tomatoes?! :!:
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Well they'll probably keep coming regardless <dodges incoming tomato>

Question for you guys : Would you take a paycut for a job that you would enjoy much, much more? Thats my situation right now :?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yes. (Edit: Unless I really needed that 20%.)

Personally I'm not so worried about you btw... it's the QA personnel at EA - if they even exist - that I would like to shoot.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Aerospace Engineer.

I currently work for a PMA company. PMA is short for Parts Manufacture Approval. It is a designation bestowed upon a part by the FAA that means they have reviewed the engineering package and deemed the part worthy to be installed on an aircraft. Think aftermarket aircraft parts.

Once we identify a part as an economically viable candidate I do the following.

-Research what aircraft the part goes on
-Identify potential failure modes and eliminate them if possible
-Reverse engineer the part which includes material analysis, dimensional inspection, etc
-Develop the post production inspection plan
-Produce the 3D model in CATIA
-Produce the production drawings
-Find a vendor to manufacture the part and work with them to get the part into production
-Assemble the documentation and substantiation package and submit it to the FAA for approval.

The 3D modeling is the best part of my job by far.

In my spare time I'm trying to decide what type of side business to start so I can utilize my recently acquired MBA.
Scorch
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Scorch »

I just graduated college in December with a BS in Computer Science and today I was finally offered a job as a Systems Analyst/Developer for a local hospital. I'll be using the M programming language to work on their finance/billing applications. Slated to start on the 19th.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Scorch wrote:I'll be using the M programming language
I had to look that one up. Cool, a programing language I never heard of before!
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re:

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Darktalyn1 wrote:Well they'll probably keep coming regardless <dodges incoming tomato>

Question for you guys : Would you take a 20% paycut for a job that you would enjoy much, much more? Thats my situation right now :?
I did that years ago when I was in printing/copying but ended up regretting it since the company I went to sucked even more. But if you don't like your current job, then leave before you become a burden to them.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Dedman »

Darktalyn1 wrote:Well they'll probably keep coming regardless <dodges incoming tomato>

Question for you guys : Would you take a 20% paycut for a job that you would enjoy much, much more? Thats my situation right now :?
I guess that all depends on what part of your income that 20% is. If it is all discretionary then it may be worth it in the long run. If the 20% you are giving up is rent and food, then it’s a no-brainer.

It absolutely sucks to be stuck in a job you don’t like. I did it for two years and became a miserable and bitter person. I have found that it’s better to put your happiness and well being in front of money as your top priority. The money stuff has a way of working out.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

just wanted to write exactly what Dedman wrote (both paragraphs). Very good advice!
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Dedman wrote:I have found that it’s better to put your happiness and well being in front of money as your top priority. The money stuff has a way of working out.
Agreed. A few years ago I decided to quit a decent-paying spot, because I was coming home frustrated and with extra work every night. My wife still says I wasn't myself during that year, and that even though I didn't find a new job for three months, it was worth it to quit. I'm glad I did.
Samuel Dravis
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Samuel Dravis »

I'm sophomore college student and work part time at a local newspaper. I also co-own a lawnmowing business. There's good money in lawnmowing...
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Thanks guys for your advice..

It looks like I'm going to be taking the new job! The concern I had wasn't the salary itself but the difference in cost of living expenses - but I think everything is going to work out which is a big relief!

I'll be getting my offer sheet in the mail tomorrow & I'm really excited about it. I'll have to have one more talk with my fiance this weekend but I think she's onboard.

I'll let you guys know where I'm going once its truly official.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Been working for a General Contractor as a multipurpose laborer for a year and a half now. I've got an Associates in Visual Communications but after college I just couldn't see myself doing Web/Print/Graphic design for a career...granted I enjoy doing graphics a great deal.

My first loves have always been writing and illustrating. Carpal Tunnel has really had a dramatic impact on my feelings towards all of the things I used to enjoy doing.

Kind of stuck in a void at this point in life right now.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Tyr, I graduated college when I was 35, so you are ahead of the game by my standards.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Hey Tyranny. Sorry to hear about the wrist problem. I am in a similiar situation but instead of carpal tunnel I have worn ligaments that makes my wrist hurt really bad. The pain was affecting my jobs and my computer time. I started taking a glucosamine supplement after I heard that it helps with ligament problems. Now I take it once in awhile when it starts to flare up again and I continue to work on computers for work, on-line, and school.

I don't know much about carpal tunnel but I do think there are ways to improve the condition if not fix it. It's up to you to decide. Also, it doesn't hurt to go back to college and learn other things. Just find something that you will at least enjoy without the condition having a major impact. There's a lot of oppertunities and I know that no matter what happens, you'll get somewhere and you'll be happy with it. :)
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

I am the Creative Director for Uplink Studios by night.

I am a tier 2 consultant for Windows Vista Tech Support by day.