eminent domain abuse worse?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

eminent domain abuse worse?

Post by Kilarin »

After the unbelievable decision of the US supreme court in 2005 that said it was ok for the government to take your property by eminent domain to give to another private owner, who would have thought things could get worse?

They have:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0102/p02s01-usju.html

Apparently, the government can now give a private developer the right to use eminent domain to extort cash and eliminate competition and seize private property.

In the case in question, Bart Didden decided he wanted to open a CVS pharmacy. But was told he had to clear it with a \"private\" developer (G&S - Mr. Wasser):

quoting from the article:
---
The developer, Gregg Wasser of G&S Port Chester, told Didden he'd have to pay $800,000 or give G&S a 50 percent stake in the CVS business. If Didden refused, Mr. Wasser said, he would have Port Chester condemn and seize his property and instead of a CVS he'd put a Walgreens drugstore on the site.

Didden refused. The next day, the Village of Port Chester began legal proceedings to seize Didden's land by eminent domain.

---
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

I can now envision a time when people in this country rise up and start shooting these new Robber Barons on sight.
Suddenly I have a strong desire to buy a quality assault weapon and start stocking up on ammo, my modest 3 gun handgun collection just isn't going to cut it in the new America...
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Will, Just get some heavy loads for the hand guns.

I've said it frequently, and I'll repeat it again: Government OF the lawyers, BY the lawyers and FOR the lawyers is no way to run a country. But I guess you realise that already.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Will Robinson wrote:Suddenly I have a strong desire to buy a quality assault weapon and start stocking up on ammo,
Wait. Are you trying to tell us that you didn't always have that desire?
:P
Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Ford Prefect »

\"The thing that got [G&S] to spend over $100 million in the village is that at the end of the day he is going to make money,\"
And in the Land Of The Free isn't that what it's really all about?
Clothes may make the man
But all a girl needs is a tan

-The Producers
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Ford Prefect wrote:And in the Land Of The Free isn't that what it's really all about?
Nothing wrong with making a profit, just something terribly terribly wrong with the way they are doing it.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Sure would be nice if the president would stand up against stuff like this.

Eminent domain is SCARY
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

Birdseye wrote:Sure would be nice if the president would stand up against stuff like this.

Eminent domain is SCARY
LOL!