Would you want a 6-8\" pyro on your desk

The artists and authors forum! NOTE: © original author - do not use w/out consent!

Moderators: MetalBeast, Capm

KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Would you want a 6-8\" pyro on your desk

Post by KoolBear »

I am going to get a sterolithography model made them I am going to attempt to make a silicone mold of it. Then maybe I can mold some for people that want a pyro model on thier desk :D

I have two gallons of silicon molding compound.

I have a few quotes for a 6\" at $200 or $370 if I get two (cheapest of 4 quotes). I am thinking I'll get two just incase one breaks in the mold ;)

I have a full size model I had sent off for quote. just shy of $30,000 :P I guess they missed the point of re-scaling the model :D
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I wonder if you could get the one that was made for the D4 project converted somehow. It should be up for download on Planet Descent somewhere. I think it is by far the best looking Pyro GX model outside the D2/D3 cutscenes, tho it is a semi-low poly model for ingame use. Of course the GX would probably be a lot harder to mold then the GL.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Krom,

I have that model too. Let's me see how it looks after exporting to stl format.

It's in OOF format. IS there a converter from OOF to 3d Max or Rhino or something like that? Man there's like 5 millin gazillon of them listed at PD.

Are one of those a GUI version.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

If you can make a model of the GX, I'd prolly be willing to spend some of my summer earnings on it. That would definatly be something worth having.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Krom,

I agree I get warm fuzzies all over when I see that model!
I did get one of the translators and it created a .3ds file but my demo version of 3dmax won't open it :(, UPDATE but it will import :D AHH that Hi-Rez D4 pyro must have been the Krentz model I followed. here's it imported re-textured thanks to Supersheep's MaxOOFy thingy. And EXPORTED to stl format.

Yes the hung over stabalizers on the GX would make molding more difficult. Maybe stand it on end. Now we need a good painter that can really do these justice!

d3jake,
will keep everyone informed, I just pulled off a big design job for my company and inturn they were awarded a large contract to build them. Hopefully I'll get a little bonus that I can make one of these models with.

I've never made a silcone mold but know what needs done. I am open to suggestions. I know I can use my son's legos to build the outer frame work, all I'll need to do is figure out where the parting lines run.

Anyone here have experience with home brewed silicone molds? Bubba?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Why is it so expensive? I don't know anything about molding so be gentle.

Also, will it be painted or chromed etc?
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

No that is what it cost to make a model in 3d. Once that is done the individual models would cast in a silicon mold. These should cost too much at all. Of course they would not be painted :)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Yeah, the thing with that model is doing the stabilizers right is going to be a massive undertaking, and honestly I have my doubts it could be done in one piece. I think it would have to be broken down into a few smaller pieces and then assembled after molding, and I imagine that would skyrocket the price.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

I would buy when I have the money, after I get my xbox360.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I'd buy one or 2 myself depending on price.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Does anyone know someone that would be willing to paint them? I am sure it would cost mosr for painting.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

http://www.artmolds.com/category76.cfm getting it set up correctly is key. once the mold is created the rest is easy

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
HighOctane_Jared
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by HighOctane_Jared »

http://www.interpro-rtc.com/

Stands 7\" talls
Taken From:

Grant it, it cost $550, but after talking to the guy, the results were outstanding. He said it felt very solid.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Heh, wish I could have a mold of my Pyro that I'm modeling :P But, that'd cost me.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re:

Post by KoolBear »

HighOctane_Jared wrote:http://www.interpro-rtc.com/
Interesting I spoke with Dave there today Jarod, I had sesnt them a 20' sterolithography model and they quoted it just shy of $30,000 :D

After I spoke with him I found out he's an old skool gamer too that's when he came back ith the $200 for a 6" model $370 for two in SLA the Objet option was like $400 or $760 for two.

Bubba has offered up his D2 "True to Movie Pyro" that I think I prefer since it's the closest to D2's pyro.

Jarod did you have a few hundred floating around that you care to share! Umm maybe I can get Zach on board and he'll spilt the cost with me!

KB
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

True to movie Pyro..? Which one is that?
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

d3jake wrote:True to movie Pyro..? Which one is that?
In the other thread below this thread. :P

Here is what Bubba posted.
BUBBALOU wrote:I have one you can use if need be, true to the D2 movies as far as detail
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re:

Post by KoolBear »

BUBBALOU wrote:http://www.artmolds.com/category76.cfm getting it set up correctly is key. once the mold is created the rest is easy
True, beary true. I wonder how many castings we could get from one mold.

Like Krom stated this will likely be a few parts that are chemically welded together.

I couldn't imagine trying to vent this in a single mold.

It looks like we might have to "beef up" the guns so they woon't be so fragile. At 6" the barrel section is less than 1/32" Too small.

la8r
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

If you used a 2 piece (top and bottom) mold wouldn't you be able to do it all at once without having to add to it after?
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Yeah Jared that Mudbox Model animation of the figure is nice ( Taken from )

no need to touch anything, just use the correct resin
HighOctane_Jared
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by HighOctane_Jared »

hah sorry KB I am in full time school and working right now, I don't have spare anything right now...
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

That's the model I'd like to have, the closer to the model in the D2 cinematics the better. :)
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Bubbalou has sent me his model. I also want to look into Hextic's pyro.

Since these wouldn't be painted as the norm we should go for as much detail as possible.

KB
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Dang, if it wasn't so expensive I'd go for it, but with everything going on I'm strapped.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Capm, The castings from the stereolithography won't be too expensive not the original 3d model that is what will cost a few hundred dollrs. I was thinking that I might be able to do the castings myself. Now I haven't priced any material but I can't imagine they would be much more than 10-15 bucks or so plus shipping box packing material and postage.

I don't mind investing my time for something like this.

The expense comes in getting the original 3d model made.

So never fear for a small fee you too could have your very own unpainted pyro! :D
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Well, you figure out the price, and I'll pitch in for my share of the mold. This is to good of a toy to pass up.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

You should mold your 3dverter into it so you plug the sidewinder into underneath the front and the usb lead comes out the back.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re:

Post by KoolBear »

WillyP wrote:You should mold your 3dverter into it so you plug the sidewinder into underneath the front and the usb lead comes out the back.
Good idea. It would be easy for me to do it. but would likely double the cost of the 1sr part.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Ok Here's the 3 models we have to select from
Bubba's
rendered...

Eagle's
and rendered...

Krentz's
rendered..

I have emailed Eagle and asked if he could make a bracket that attaches the missles as they are they are dangling in space.

I like all three. I think Eagles will make the better part for casting. This would be my preference.

Opinons. I should have pricing for individual casted parts Monday-Tuesday. I would like to place the order next Friday for the Sterolithogry Model and follow that possibly with and order for the silicone mold and several casted parts shortly after that. Here's some of thier work ... http://www.interpro-rtc.com/gallery.html The Female Figure represents the quality of the sterolithography (SLA) part, this is the part that the mold will be cast from.

I'll start a new thread when I receive the quotes for the mold and casted parts Monday/Tueday. Then we can get serious.

I also asked if they had painters, maybe some of you would like to get them painted. I'll try to not screw mine up to bad when I paint it :P

KB
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Could we get a side view of Bubbalou's model, and Eagle's model, I want to look at the conc\\conc mounting points.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

My vote is for Eagles model.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

jake,

Niether Bubba nor Eagle have any provisions for missle mounting.

Eagle has missles dangling in the air and Bubba currently has no missles nor mount provisions.

IF we want missles then someone will need to update one of the models for me. I have 3DMax but no clue on how to use it.

Regards,
KB
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Maybe the missles could be made separately and glued on later, At this size, you're talking about an attachment peice about a millimeter cubed in size.

I've always liked Eagles model better than the d2 movie pyro
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Capm.

Purely from the perspective of process both the STL part and later the castings I think Eagles provides enough meat to keeps things from breaking to easily.

It would be easir to process these if the missles were detached and later glued on. I will propose that to the shop.

I still need Eagle to clean a few things up assuming he's receptive. I have emailed him. If not Bubba's with a little more clean up will be fine too!

KB
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Sounds good KB, We'll just need somebody to make super smooth concussion (circa D2) in the same proportion as the model.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

jake,

If I read between your lines, the files that I send to the STL process are pretty rough (choppy) in the translation that is used. The vendor will process and then smooth the surface then a light glass bead so the part will hold a primer.

If I mis understaood and you are only worried about scale. How critical do you think we should be? I would prefer a model that look's like the one in the pictures (not game play-quality to low), but it must have some detail in it. The only pyro of the three that is actually available for game play is Eagles Right? And That's for us OldSkool'rs in D2-XL.

Maybe I am wrong. But remember most likely few of us will ever paint the models and those that don't would like to have something for eye candy ;)

KB
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Heh, I think you misunderstand me... Prolyl because its misnight and shoudl really be in bed... Its not a huge priority to have concussions to add on. I would just like for mine to look really close to the D3 cinematic pyro, when I was younger I always wanted a toy Pyro, but becuase Descent wasn't that popular, they were never made... I guess I'm trying to get a toy the way I want it, but you shouldn't base all of the major decisions on this just upon my childhood dreams....
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

why not jake? I am basing them on mine, but remember it is not the pyro-gl from D3.

I would like to seek peoples in opinions especially those that have a dream of a Pyro on thier Desk!

I promise that I will consider these inputs since the decision needs to made soon. Ferno says \"Put it in neutral\" so let's see what he has in mind.

It would be nice if we all can find a comprimise.

You see I will get a model, and I am willing to adjust my dream , I am trying to find away for everyone that wants one to be able to get one and to like the one we get :) So speak up and be heard!

KB
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I have Eagles Pyro in D3 and it looks sweet. Best all around IMHO.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Eagel's is good, but I don't think it's the best when it comes to detail.

I'd like to see Ferno's pyro when it's finished before I place any votes.

So untill then......

What about this pyro?

It's from the Into Cerberon team.
Full of detail and unpainted.
You know it's going to look great straight out the mold!

I'm hoping Ferno's pyro will have lots of detail something like the IC pyro. ;)