Gameport and USB joysticks

DXX Rebirth Descent I/II for modern systems, maintains the look and feel of the original. Home Page

Moderator: zico

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Gameport and USB joysticks

Post by Tunnelcat »

I actually found a replacement sound card for the old HP computer, so I'm using it again for DXX. Finally sounds great!

It just dawned on me that the sound card has a gameport on it for a joystick (which I still own one) and I was wondering if you can use BOTH USB and gameport joysticks at the same time to play DXX.

One could be for strafing and up or down movement while the other could be for pitch and turning. Has anybody used this combo? I know that many have used two USB joysticks together, but how about a mix of the old and new interfaces. :?
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Post by zico »

Hm I've never tried that, but I think it should work - however those readings are done by SDL so I can'T really make a statement.

If something goes wrong - after startup just check the stdout.txt file - it should print all infos about connected joysticks.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I was thinking of mounting one joystick horizontally (it has stiff springs, old tech) on my chair, kind of like the collective stick in a helicopter. Then up and down, side to side movement control would feel more natural.
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Post by zico »

As long as both sticks are recognized, you don't have any limitations how to configure them, so your idea would be possible.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Zico,

I tried out both sticks at once and the computer did recognize them within the game control panel and I was able to calibrate them both as well. However, when I ran D2X, things got weird.

The main problem was that game became REALLY SLOW, even in the menus. The frame rate was almost zero in the game as well, so there must be some kind of conflict going on between the two controller input interfaces.

I guess that I'll finally dump the old hardware and get another USB joystick for the best compatibility.
Theftbot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Theftbot »

I was wondering how to calibrate a joy within dxx rebirth- I undercalibrate 4X
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

SDL defaults to windows' joystick calibration.
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Re:

Post by zico »

Ferno wrote:SDL defaults to windows' joystick calibration.
That is right.
tunnelcat wrote:The main problem was that game became REALLY SLOW, even in the menus. The frame rate was almost zero in the game as well, so there must be some kind of conflict going on between the two controller input interfaces.
I'll try that out at my side - i think I still have a Wingman Extreme around here somewhere.
Carvalho
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Carvalho »

Speaking on the Sidewinder 3D Pro, I've purchased a USB game port (http://www.usb-port.com/rm203.html). After some adjustments I got it configured but the rudder movement (that I use to bank) doesn't work in D2 or D1 (I just cannot set the axis in joyconfig) however it works in D3. Any tips?
Best Regards,
Marcel Carvalho
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

Carvalho wrote:Speaking on the Sidewinder 3D Pro, I've purchased a USB game port (http://www.usb-port.com/rm203.html). After some adjustments I got it configured but the rudder movement (that I use to bank) doesn't work in D2 or D1 (I just cannot set the axis in joyconfig) however it works in D3. Any tips?
When using a 3D Pro w/ a regular gameport-USB converter the 3DP will be working in analog emulation mode. There are two sticks the 3DP can emulate, a CH stick (switch on the back in position I) or Thrustmaster stick (position II). Mode II uses fixed values of the 4th axis (the rudder) to signal hat switch positions, that's probably your problem. If the converter supports CH sticks you can try to use mode I.

Note that there are certain limitations in analog emulation mode:

- hat switch will be only 4-way in both modes
- you lose the slider in mode II
- you lose the ability to press multiple buttons at the same time in mode I
ImageImage
Theftbot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Theftbot »

which driver do you use for rebirth (3d pro, thrustmaster fcs)
Carvalho
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Carvalho »

I'm using the default joystick, but I've tried the other options and the rudder axis still not working :(
Best Regards,
Marcel Carvalho
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Multiple Joysticks work fine in DXX

Except when you combine USB and Gameport

you want either all usb or all gameport

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Yeah, I found that out fairly quickly. I got another USB joystick and have both of them working great in DXX. It's actually better than using the hat switch for up/down and side to side ship movement. I mounted the second stick horizontally, kind of like the cyclic stick in a helicopter. It feels natural to use that way.
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Post by zico »

Actually the management of the Joystick order and connection is done by SDL itself. However the next Version will ship with a new SDL build so probably we have some improvements there as well. :)