Any Mac Users here?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

BigSlideHimself
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Any Mac Users here?

Post by BigSlideHimself »

After using a PC for the past 11 years, I've made the switch to Mac, with Leopard. I'm curious if there's anyone here who's made the switch and their experience?
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Still on Tiger, gonna wait until 10.5.1 and Xcode 3.1 are both out before moving to Leopard. Experience has been smooth as butter, and it really helps to be a Mac user when you're a Mac sysadmin :P
Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Any Mac Users here?

Post by Immortal Lobster »

BigSlideHimself wrote:I've made the switch to Mac
I'm sooo sorry for you....

hehe, personally, I've tried it, I hate mac, just doesnt work for me.

any reason for the switch to the dark side with fruit colors and chrome?
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

I made the switch around the time i played the Descent 1 demo and never looked back. Got a used powerbook from work very cheaply and was amazed how much smoother, more consistent and ore versatile the user interface was compared to the PC, even though everything happened on a small black and white screen. Since then, I have relied on macs exclusively whenever I needed to get work done; still kept a PC around for gaming, though.
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

I'm a Mac user, but not a Mac fanatic as most tend to be.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

An aunt of mine uses a new iMac and couldn't import her email contacts, so I learned how to do it in 20 seconds. Can't really complain when it is that easy to use and immune to 99% of the crap on the net that screws up PCs.
Wheeze87
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wheeze87 »

I made the switch last summer, and my experience has been exxcelent... Overall an easier, quicker, nicer looking system than windows...
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

If I cant run the programs and games that I use on it then its no good for me.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

I know that Whollycow^BoTS^ uses a mac and I\"ll heard his this way.

Personally I haven't tried anything beyond Win and Linux. The last time I used a Mac was in the library on the craptastic computers there. Since those are older than dirt I can't honestly give you an opinion of them. Though I'm kinda with Top Wop, if my games\\apps aren't supported, then its no good for me. That is what has prevented me from swapping over to Linux..
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Of course, you could always listen to a Professional source. :mrgreen:

(mind you, when this was made, Mac was just coming out of their stupid era and did have some serious issues. That has since changed)
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

I've always been a Mac user, way back in the days of the Mac Classic. I remember getting excited when we upgraded to System 8.

I just upgraded to Leopard and Final Cut Studio 2 last week, and I'd say that if you're not itching to jump on the Time Machine/Spaces bandwagon, hold off until 10.5.1. I've had a couple issues with stability.. Mail crashes on me at some points, and other programs act up every once in a while. Aside from the random crashes (say once a week, not bad), Leopard's great. Somehow I've found a way to fill up 8 spaces when just two weeks ago I only had one. Spotlight and Quick Look have really proven to be the best for me.

I haven't used the new Xcode yet, but I have used Instruments, which is awesome.

So, if you're in a production environment, not yet, but if you're just using it at home, you certainly won't regret the upgrade. How's Leopard working out for you?

When I came to college, I was the only one out of 12 of my friends who owned a Mac. It took less than two years for all 12 of them and almost everyone I know to end up with a Macbook (Pro). And the only thing I've heard from the other side of the fence is \"I wish I had enough money to get a Mac\"
Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Immortal Lobster »

hehe, I find it kind of ironic though, and you got to admit, it is funny. here mac users are suddenly having regular stability issues on their PCs with the newest release of OS-X, whereas most new Vista Users really arent having stability problems. seems to be a reversal in trends.

You won't see me pawing for a mac, or my friends, I know a few with Mac-book pros, two of them reget buying them, one has Vista installed on it an uses that as his primary OS, and the other is a fanatic.

I had OS-X Darwin installed on my PC a while back, kinda fun to tinker with, but mostly useless for me. so, back to windows I went.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

I use both Windows and Mac at work. Mostly Windows at home (too cheap to buy a decent Mac for home use).

Both platforms are good. The differences between how you use Windows and how you use a Mac is substantial. Some people are just not flexible enough in their habits to be able to switch from one to the other.

Macs are good (and very easy) in many ways, and for those who know how, the Mac is just as powerful and capable as ANY Windows system and like Krom said, immune to 99% of all the crap that bothers Windows systems.

Windows is used by more people and there is more games for the Windows platform ... but with Windows the user is forever doomed to having to deal with the total crap load of poorly made software, adware, malware, crapware, etc ... that roams the computing world.

It all depends on \"what works for you\".
BigSlideHimself
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Nitrofox how do you have your spaces setup?
BigSlideHimself
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

True to what someone said above, this whole Windows crashes/mac doesn't debate means nothign anymore. My macbook pro, while I love it, crashes far often than my Windows XP laptop did. In fact, the 'crashes' on windows were one or two programs shutting down, but with Mac it seems to be all or nothing, you have to restart the whole rig. I still perfer mac to xp or vists, but i haven't drank the pucnh and I can point out macs many flaws.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

I am really surprised by your troubles with the Macbook. I don't want to say that Mac's never crash, but my Macbook Pro is the most reliable machine I have ever used. My uptime is usually more than 2 weeks, and then I restart only to install a system update or something. Is it possible that you installed some weird programs? Faulty RAM?

Two things that I hate on the mac:
- the way the finder becomes unusable for a few minutes if a network drive disappears from the network and it just doesn't stop looking for it (finally fixed in Leopard i hear).
- how you have to struggle to get a DVD out of the slot should the DVD-player crash (what happens much too often, particularly with dirty DVDs).
BigSlideHimself
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Thanks for the reply Pandora. That's interesting. The only thing I can think of, is I got one of the first Macbook Pro's with Leopard. And I don't say that it crashes all the time, just much more often than my XP machine. And keep in mind, I'm a multitasker ina big way, usually I have a movie playing, wiith my mail and 2 firefox windows, often dreamweaver and photoshop are open side by side, with some torrents working in the background. The Mac just doesn't seem to like this combo.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

My MBP 2.4 has an annoying tendency to lock up whenever it's been in display-sleep for an extended period of time. I press a key, or swipe on the trackpad, and the spinny-wait cursor appears but the screensaver never displays the password dialog. Sometimes I can shut the lid and open it again to put it through a sleep cycle, but often times this doesn't work either. Then I have to force it off (hold the power button). I'm not entirely sure what's causing it, though.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Pandora »

BigSlideHimself wrote:Thanks for the reply Pandora. That's interesting. The only thing I can think of, is I got one of the first Macbook Pro's with Leopard. And I don't say that it crashes all the time, just much more often than my XP machine. And keep in mind, I'm a multitasker ina big way, usually I have a movie playing, wiith my mail and 2 firefox windows, often dreamweaver and photoshop are open side by side, with some torrents working in the background. The Mac just doesn't seem to like this combo.
ah, sorry BigSlide. For some reason I thought that the problems were happening for some time, so I assumed you were talking about Tiger. I have no experience with Leopard yet. Fingers crossed that they fix these bugs in the first point release!