Mission Tab won't rename file in HOG compilation

Read and write DLE-XP bug reports, suggestions and general discussion here. Home Page

Moderator: Aus-RED-5

DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Mission Tab won't rename file in HOG compilation

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Okay, I made a new RL2 without 'naming' the mine. Then inserted it into a compilation hog with other levels without any name other than (untitled). So when I go to change the level's name then 'accept', when I come back to the level, it doesn't accept my mine name change. So is this a bug or is there another way I can change it? Altering the RL2 in notepad tends to corrupt the file in D2-XLP's eyes.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

DFW,

you can try as long and as hard as you want, but this is the wrong forum. ;)

Diedel
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

would it hurt you to simply answer the question here? By the time you wrote that post, you could have easily answered my question. Oh well, a level named 'untitled' isn't so bad. :P
Wishmaster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wishmaster »

If it comes to it, you can send me your level and I'll fix the name in DEVIL.
C:\\>cd games\\descent
C:\\GAMES\\DESCENT>descent
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

DFW,

Enter the name you want and then save the mission/s.
(scrollbar - file>>> save, or the little blue floppy disk to save.)
That's it.

No need to hit accept, rename or insert. ;)
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

thank you very much Aus.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Re:

Post by Diedel »

Wishmaster wrote:If it comes to it, you can send me your level and I'll fix the name in DEVIL.
Pfffffffffffffff - is there anything DEVIL can and DLE-XP can't? There's a lot DLE-XP can and DEVIL can't. :P
Wishmaster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wishmaster »

Meh, I've never taken to DMB's interface, to be honest.

It's mostly the odd view manipulation and the fact that I can't just click things to select. *hint hint* :P
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

This sounds like you never even bothered to look at DLE-XP's interface, because it doesn't have too much in common with DMB(2).

And who says you can't click things to select them in DLE-XP?

DLE-XP @ 1680x1050 (click image for large version):

Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Not to turn this into an ideological war, but IMHO if you want a weird and awkward UI, you really don't have to look much further than Devil. Simply moving the camera there was a mission...
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

Sirius wrote:Not to turn this into an ideological war, but IMHO if you want a weird and awkward UI, you really don't have to look much further than Devil. Simply moving the camera there was a mission...
True, but you gotta admit that if you were using way out-dated computers ... Devil at least 'worked' ... mostly. :P Of course, once you upgraded to newer hardware there was no longer any reason to NOT use DMB2 and then DLE-XP (FTW).
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I have built all my levels with DMB2 before DLE-XP was available, and I have some pretty old levels (1997?). So what gives?
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

different strokes for different folks. No harm no foul. No reason to force someone to use a certain building program and have them learn a completely new format when they are familiar with and have been using DEVIL this entire time. Its like asking a english major to suddenly learn a math major when they've been doing english all their lives. They just aren't comfortable in something new and prefer something they already know how to do.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Can someone please remove/resize that large picture? It's pretty hard to read the page with such a large image causing the page to stretch sideways.

[edit]Thanks, Diedel.[/edit]
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

hehe x2.

No MOD for this forum, otherwise I'd fix it. ;)
Wishmaster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wishmaster »

Sirius wrote:Not to turn this into an ideological war, but IMHO if you want a weird and awkward UI, you really don't have to look much further than Devil. Simply moving the camera there was a mission...
That's funny ... I think the same of DMB / DLE-XP. :P But whatever, DFW is right.

Speaking of DEVIL, is Lars still around any of the Descenting communities any more?
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Well, sincerely, i use mainly Devil because i like it more than DMB2/DLE-XP view style. In Devil i can fly inside the mine, while on the other it looks like an helicopter view, and IMHO the corridor wizard in DLE-XP is a shame compared the the one included in Devil (and also is the texture alignment tools). So i don't like DMB2/DLE-XP that much :P (it think it's just a matter of tastes).

However, i use a LOT DLE-XP to join level fragments done on Devil and DBB, to add some cubes that need some special effects, to stretch textures and of course, to add the neat and excellent features and effects of D2X-XL ;)

BTW, Lars is still around here on the DBB, but he's almost not active...
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Wishmaster wrote:Speaking of DEVIL, is Lars still around any of the Descenting communities any more?
Yeah, I've seen him pop in a day or so ago, but his last post was in September.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I have built Boiling Point using DLE-XP, including doing all geometry and texture alignment ... for complicated structures I'd use the Descent Block Builder.

I need the top down view, or I'd lose the overview over my level, I couldn't build it all from within. For details, I just zoom in, or launch the level with D2X-XL simply by pressing Ctrl+F5. I had taken a look or three at DEVIL, and I couldn't even get the hang of it - it has the most unintuitive UI I've ever seen.

Well, to each his own.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Intuitive is generally a matter of opinion, but I should add that the reason I found DLE-XP so easy to pick up (in terms of the camera) is that it handles much like any other modelling program out there. Now that I remember it, I think you had to click on buttons for DMB2, which was a pain.

DEVIL's UI and control scheme is extremely non-standard by now. If you learned the ropes with it, it may still seem natural; if not, it's hard to get used to. And it does make \"flying around the mine\" easier, if you want to do it; you can do the same in DLE-XP but it's a bit awkward. I don't even try because I've never needed to view a level from the inside anyway.