F*CK.

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

F*CK.

Post by Flabby Chick »

What's wrong with that word? Why and how has it become such a taboo thing to say.

We all do it, in whatever shape or form our preferences may take, whether it be with a partner or by one's self, so why the stigma?

If i say Oh my God! I can understand that i could be offending religious people. Still, they F*CK, they make love, they fornicate, they get off!!!

If i said the N word, denoting a black person, i can understand that it's become associated with racism of the most abhorrent kind...but black people and racists still F*CK...just like we all do.

My children do not speak english as a first language and they've picked up saying F*CK from the media, at first i was against it, till i realised, most of the country says it as a gentle curse, like damd or blast. Over the years i've come to realise that F*CK is the same as saying 'ouch' or 'darn it'.

I know you don't agree, so tell me why.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I actually agree with you. I don't find the word offensive unless it's used in an offensive manner.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

Once again:
People like giving out as much as they can! They only find it offensive because they want it to be an offensive word.
For example, there's honestly no way 'spastic' is a word so insulting to people who do undergo spontaneous spasms that it could get a game pulled.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

It's not about the word itself or it's definition (or at least it shouldn't be)... It's about how people perceive it, and respecting when it's appropriate to use.

As far as the definition, you're right. It's the same as \"copulate\", but that word doesn't have the same social significance.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

It because of the \"Fornicate\" the word came out of the Victorian era and it carries a certain stigma because of the Adultry aspect attached to it.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

But it's just a word, Foil; a word that does not alienate any minority, or degrade any sex. I could make a list of words, strong words, that do.

F*CK however, intrinsically, is not a bad word. Is it used aggressively? Yes. Does that make it socially unacceptable? I'm not sure that it does. Why is the word 'bastard' accepted, with all it's connotations?
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Ah, so your question is more along the lines of \"Why are sexual words like this socially unacceptable?\", correct?

I don't think it's always necessarily tied to the meaning of the word (although I think parents have good reason to be careful about their kids when it comes to matters of sex)... I think it's more often because of who uses it and how it's used.

For example, if the word like \"blah\" started being consistently used by youth in reference to something blatanly sexual or as an insult, I think it would eventually become one of those words...
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

The ONLY problem I have with that word is the way that people use it, which typically is used in vulgar, course, degrading, disrespectful, uncultured expressions. It reflects lack of self control of the person's vocabulary and lack of respect to the others within earshot (or reading distance).

Since it means/represents a special and wonderful activity that should be highly regarded (IMHO), using that word in vulgar conversation, at times of frustration and loss of personal control and loss of temper seriously degrades the respect due to the activity the word refers to.

That's why I find it offensive.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Flabby Chick wrote:But it's just a word, ...

That's a really poor argument Flabby. It's a premises you don't want to start. A simpleton dismisses implication and meaning. Semantics DO, in fact, matter because it's not the phonetics that make a word, but the intention behind it that matters and how others perceive it. So yes, social influence does matter also.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

It's not the Word...it's how you use it. (pun intended)
Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Ford Prefect »

I\"ll let George Carlan explain it to you.
(Transcript)
http://www.erenkrantz.com/Humor/SevenDirtyWords.shtml
Clothes may make the man
But all a girl needs is a tan

-The Producers
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Ford Prefect wrote:I"ll let George Carlan explain it to you.
(Transcript)
http://www.erenkrantz.com/Humor/SevenDirtyWords.shtml
lol Ford, I was thinking the exact same thing. He actually gets it pretty close.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

Grundel! Grundel Monkey! Are you offended by these words?
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

I wonder if many people who complain about bad language in the media use this particular four-letter word in the bedroom? :P

I dislike people using frequent bad language because it makes them look like classless lowlifes - the sort of situations I hear people using this word do not justify it at all. Any idiot can swear like a sailor - it takes someone with self-control to watch their lips.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

TechPro wrote:The ONLY problem I have with that word is the way that people use it, which typically is used in vulgar, course, degrading, disrespectful, uncultured expressions. It reflects lack of self control of the person's vocabulary and lack of respect to the others within earshot (or reading distance).

Since it means/represents a special and wonderful activity that should be highly regarded (IMHO), using that word in vulgar conversation, at times of frustration and loss of personal control and loss of temper seriously degrades the respect due to the activity the word refers to.

That's why I find it offensive.
Thank you Techpro... :)

Bee
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

Yep, i'd go along with that Tech' as a reason why i'd find the word offensive. But i don't understand why we use that particular word, it's stupid if you think about it. Go \"make love to yourself\", what a daft expression.

Anyway, like i said. In non-english speaking countries it's very prevelent, so much so that it's completely lost it's venemous intent. Arabic, however is a fantastic language to swear in.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Funny, if I say \"★■◆● you\" it is offensive, but if I say \"Screw you\" it is not offensive.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

woodchip wrote:Funny, if I say "**** you" it is offensive, but if I say "Screw you" it is not offensive.
IMO, both are offensive.

If I hear a person use the second phrase, in my mind that per is in the same type of person as the person who says the first phrase.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Lol @ people not agnologing that f*ck has more than one meaning.

In other news, did you know that there's a word in Irish that's pronounced as "feck 'em"? It means "I see".
woodchip wrote:Funny, if I say "**** you" it is offensive, but if I say "Screw you" it is not offensive.
Since when was saying 'screw you' not considered offensive?
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by woodchip »

TIGERassault wrote:
Since the swear filter says so. :wink:
Wings
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Wings »

woodchip wrote:
TIGERassault wrote:
Since the swear filter says so. :wink:
Lmao.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Wow, sex you sexxers. Of all the sexxing things that could of been posted in E&C, you sexxers put this stupid ass sexxing thread. I have one last thing to say:

SEX YOU!
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Dakatsu wrote:Wow, sex you sexxers. Of all the sexxing things that could of been posted in E&C, you sexxers put this stupid ass sexxing thread. I have one last thing to say:

SEX YOU!
:lol:
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

English is a fine language to swear in, but most languages have their little gems as well. How vulgar something comes across as is entirely in the placement and delivery. Often the best insults don't even work with \"swear words\" though.

Edit: oh yeah, intercourse you all and devour excrement too! .!.. :mrgreen: ..!. ;):P
mistercool2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: F*CK.

Post by mistercool2 »

Flabby Chick wrote:What's wrong with that word? Why and how has it become such a taboo thing to say.

We all do it, in whatever shape or form our preferences may take, whether it be with a partner or by one's self, so why the stigma?

If i say Oh my God! I can understand that i could be offending religious people. Still, they F*CK, they make love, they fornicate, they get off!!!

If i said the N word, denoting a black person, i can understand that it's become associated with racism of the most abhorrent kind...but black people and racists still F*CK...just like we all do.

My children do not speak english as a first language and they've picked up saying F*CK from the media, at first i was against it, till i realised, most of the country says it as a gentle curse, like damd or blast. Over the years i've come to realise that F*CK is the same as saying 'ouch' or 'darn it'.

I know you don't agree, so tell me why.
First of all I agree with you, but actually it's the other way around. It used to be taboo but it's becoming more and more accepted, not to mention popular. :)

Twenty years ago if you said to 20 women - "you're hot ... you wanna f***?" - probabaly all of them would have been offended.

Today, some of them would say - "your place or mine?"

Twenty years from now it'll probably be as common as s*** - hell, it's already defined in the friggin' dictionary.

snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

You should just say \"Copulate!\" instead.
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

I think people who belittle those who curse because they reckon it's ignorant, are themselves ignorant. There is a difference between aggressive intent and \"aggressive\" language.

Wadda you think guys?....come on...really, take a step.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

Flabby Chick wrote:I think people who belittle those who curse because they reckon it's ignorant, are themselves ignorant. There is a difference between aggressive intent and "aggressive" language.

Wadda you think guys?....come on...really, take a step.
Somebody belittled you because you cursed? Shame on them.

To curse is a personal choice and nobody deserves to be belittled for it. Cursing is offensive to me, but I do my best to not let it effect the way I treat others. To treat a person who curses differently from anyone else would be just as wrong as being racist.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

There is a time and place for everything... For example, guys at work will often curse, it's not a problem, but not at home, or even at work when there are customers touring the shop.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by roid »

TechPro wrote:vulgar, course, degrading, disrespectful, uncultured ... lack of self control ... lack of respect.
Firewheel wrote:classless lowlifes
Interesting, Revealing, Insightful.
i think you've struck the gist of it: It's a class, caste based society thing.

It's pretentious.

BTW I'm not talking about people who swear, i'm talking about people who disapprove of swearing.

Where did this tripe label of "uncultured" come from? Artists swear i assure you.

This class based society, this stupid system we live in, was flawed from the beginning.
★■◆● the system.

i'd just like to re-quote the most offensive thing in this thread:
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

roid wrote:
TechPro wrote:vulgar, course, degrading, disrespectful, uncultured ... lack of self control ... lack of respect.
Interesting, Revealing, Insightful.
i think you've struck the gist of it: It's a class, caste based society thing.

It's pretentious.

BTW I'm not talking about people who swear, i'm talking about people who disapprove of swearing.

Where did this tripe label of "uncultured" come from? Artists swear i assure you.

This class based society, this stupid system we live in, was flawed from the beginning.
**** the system.
You so funny when you're pretentious! :lol:
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

NO U :lol:
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

Personally, I can find myself using the F word profusely (in private or with friends) on occasion and don't think much of it. To me, one's eloquence, education or social standing has very little to do with it (one man's opinion mind you :lol: )

When I do use it, typically its because of it's powerful brevity. There are many synonyms for the word - but none that carry the same power to summarise one's feelings on the subject at hand. :)

Some of it is cultural I admit - I grew up amongst sheep farmers and shearers in rural Australia. If you *didn't* swear well in that company, you were a social deviant.

(In the words of \"The Dog\" from Footrot Flats - one of my favourite cartoon characters - \"How are you supposed to have a decent arguement with someone who can't SWEAR properly?\")

One last thought on the subject: Apparently the Japanese phrase for \"F*** Off!!!\" literally translates as \"Don't lick me!!!\"

Go figure. :lol:
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

it's interesting to note that people revulse when they hear the western curse words but laugh when they hear the brit versions. like 'you stupid tit', 'bollocks', 'bugger', etc
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by roid »

Gekko71 wrote:One last thought on the subject: Apparently the Japanese phrase for "F*** Off!!!" literally translates as "Don't lick me!!!"

Go figure. :lol:

HAHAHA oh man i AM GONNA TRY TO REMEMEBR THAT

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/805557
くたばれ

くたばれ!(Kutabare!)
*Perhaps the most "standard" translation
うせろ!(Usero!)
なめんじゃねぇ!(Namenjanei!)
Literally means, "Don't lick (me)!" To lick someone is a grave sign of disrespect, so licking is used metaphorically to mean disrespecting someone and getting in their face.

There are other terms, but these are three of the most common.
:LOL:
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Here's how I view cursing:

I think it says a lot about a person when they have a large vocabulary that they know how to use. I, honestly, don't consider myself to be one of those people. A lot of people use curse words as fillers- there's a lot better way to say what they want to communicate, but they opt to use curse words instead. I'd put this on the same level as the \"um,\" \"ahh,\" and \"like\" abusers. It's annoying, because it's poor use of the english language, and demonstrates a lazy attitude toward their communication towards others, but I wouldn't exactly call it a heinous crime.

There are people who curse all the time because they want to communicate anger, be obnoxious, be bigoted, and be insulting. I see these people as \"low lifes.\" I'm talking about people who call african americans \"niggers\" because they want to make sure you know that they're racist, for example.

There are people who curse out of a desire to show off, or impress their friends. The reason for cursing, again, has its problems.

Finally, there are people who curse, using the words in their proper context, when it communicates exactly what they want to say. This I don't have a problem with. Sometimes I'll disagree with what they want to say, but they're properly using the English language.

I'll also address the Christian idea of using God's name in vain. The general concept behind this, which I believe in, is that God, Heaven, Hell, and generally spiritual things are very serious topics that rightly have a heavy meaning associated with them. Using words related to these topics lightly, or disrespectfully takes away from their true meaning, and trivializes the most important topics a person could possibly talk about. The crime is underestimating, or actively taking away from the seriousness and respect that such an important topic, or person (God) deserves.
Wheeze87
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Wheeze87 »

Dakatsu wrote:Wow, sex you sexxers. Of all the sexxing things that could of been posted in E&C, you sexxers put this stupid ass sexxing thread. I have one last thing to say:

SEX YOU!
See wouldn't this sentence be so much more satisfying, and have exactly the same effect, if you replace "sex" with "f*ck"?...
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

Wheeze87 wrote:

SEX YOU!
See wouldn't this sentence be so much more satisfying, and have exactly the same effect, if you replace "sex" with "f*ck"?...
More satisfying... Perhaps. But more entertaining? No.
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

I just remembered - have any of you good people every heard a truly delightful audio treatise entitled \"The Critics\" by Peter Cook And Dudley Moore?

Personally, I think their arguments on the unnecessary use of gratuitous launguage by intellegent people is one of the most profound view points on the subject you'll ever hear.

:lol: :lol: :lol: (sorry - couldn't keep a straight face)
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: F*CK.

Post by Sedwick »

Flabby Chick wrote:What's wrong with that word? Why and how has it become such a taboo thing to say.
If I'm not mistaken, it stands for Fornication Under Consent of the King, occasionally granted to couples who were about to marry, by the king of England, who was of course deeply tied to the church in those days. So I believe the stigma comes mostly from the whole sex-out-of-wedlock sin, which of course isn't as stigmatized in our permissive times.