Wikipedia Descent / Descent II Back to unbiased

DXX Rebirth Descent I/II for modern systems, maintains the look and feel of the original. Home Page

Moderator: zico

BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

fliptw wrote:for reference, to all involved:

Wikipeida is not a soapbox

Neutral point of view guideline
No DOUBT

#3 Self-promotion. It can be tempting to write about yourself or projects you have a strong personal involvement in. However, do remember that the standards for encyclopedic articles apply to such pages just like any other, including the requirement to maintain a neutral point of view, which is difficult when writing about yourself. Creating overly abundant links and references to autobiographical articles is unacceptable.

#4 Advertising. Articles about companies and products are acceptable if they are written in an objective and unbiased style. Furthermore, all article topics must be third-party verifiable, so articles about very small "garage" or local companies are not likely to be acceptable. External links to commercial organizations are acceptable if they identify major organizations associated with a topic (see finishing school for an example). Please note Wikipedia does not endorse any organizations and does not set up affiliate programs.

Now See Below

Code: Select all

D2X-XL (New Diedle Edit)

A Windows-specific development branch was spawned from the D2X project, fixing all of the issues D2X still had and adding a lot of new features, such as the ability to play Descent missions in Descent 2. This branch was originally titled D2X-W32 but was ported to Linux and Mac OS X later on, and renamed to D2X-XL to reflect both the broader scope and greatly enhanced feature set of the project.

D2X-XL is the most advanced and feature-rich user-enhanced version of Descent to date, and offers many features like colored lighting, smoke, real-time shadowing, new weapon effects and new game modes that enhance the single-player experience and give new twists to multi-player games. As most ports, it retains full compatibility with the original game and can be switched in appearance between a graphically updated version, and the original look and feel of Descent.

Controversy (New Diedle Edit)

D2X-XL, unlike other modified versions of Descent, grants the user the ability to change some settings in a way that can affect and change online gameplay. There has been an ongoing discussion among Descent online players whether or not these settings give a player the ability to gain an unfair advantage when playing against others in a multiplayer setting. As such features are under full control of the game host and are completely disabled if the game host does not use D2X-XL to avoid any imbalances in multiplayer matches, there is however little grounds left for such concerns.
karx11erx
DX-XL Master
DX-XL Master

Re:

Post by karx11erx »

BUBBALOU wrote:I'm sorry that you have to edit wikipedia to put other projects other than yours.. in a bad light to feel superior.
I didn't. That's why you cannot prove it.
BUBBALOU wrote:I'm sorry the community uses D1x/D2x or DXX-Rebirth more than D2X-XL online for multiplayer games.
I don't know. How do you? I also don't care. Btw, D2X-XL has about 5,000 regular users. So?
BUBBALOU wrote:I'm sorry you think everyone is out to get you
So you think you're "everyone"?
BUBBALOU wrote:I'm sorry you want to sue us all from overseas for just stating the obvious
Netherlands is overseas for me? Trying to feed the widespread amusement about American knowledge of geography? And again: You believe you are "us all"? Or maybe rather, Obi would be "us all"?
BUBBALOU wrote:I'm sorry you virtually can not get along with anyone other than yourself and very few tolerate your attitude and self pity
You know me really well.
BUBBALOU wrote:I'm sorry you resort to this lifestyle of angst
Too bad you're not living next door. I would appreciate having an opportunity for an eye to eye discussion with you. ;)
BUBBALOU wrote:I'm sorry we identified your bad programming in D2X-XL in which end users could alter the their hit box just by pressing F3 to toggle cockpit.
Anything else you cannot prove? The "hitbox" is a sphere that has always the same size, which resides in the Descent data.
BUBBALOU wrote:I'm sorry you hated us ever since that enlightenment
"Us" - is that pluralis majestatis? I didn't even know that you had that concept ...
BUBBALOU wrote:I'm sorry that I'm a Sorry ass
I helped you out a little with this one. ;)

Bubba,

tell me: How does it feel to be stupid? I'd really like to understand the world you are living in. Hm, I might probably be unfair - I'm a grown up man and your basically still a child ... well, I'll leave your playground to you now, kid(s).
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

karx12erx wrote:
BUBBALOU wrote:I'm sorry we identified your bad programming in D2X-XL in which end users could alter the their hit box just by pressing F3 to toggle cockpit.
Anything else you cannot prove? The "hitbox" is a sphere that has always the same size, which resides in the Descent data.
I can when you hacked the angle of the cockpit instead of adjusting the display size, Anyone want it - or even better I can tell you what release it was discovered in, how exceptionally long it took to even be acknowleged by him and how QUICK it was fixed to cover it up... but the date below can give you an idea
Diedel Sat May 07, 2005 7:33 pm wrote:Hm ... I need to find another way to move the reticle up in cockpit view ... and the way is to increase vertical FOV ... but how ...

thinkydithinkydithinkydithink ...

BINGO!
This Couldn't be - A serious bug in his project, no it can't be, his Programming is flawless.

you try to help him inform him of the bug - and he calls you a troll - nice! A proven track record for you

But anyways back to the Topic Stop editing these sections for D2X-XL author opinions only
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re:

Post by CDN_Merlin »

CDN_Merlin wrote:
karx12erx wrote:And what model did Eagle build his Pyro after? Where's his permission? MB's model doesn't even look like a clone of Eagle's pyro.

Well, you just live by getting attention. I smell some serious educational mistakes in your raising up by your parents (or parent ...).

STFU, boy.
Ok, first things first. Why don't you use your Diedfel name instead of a new name hoping people don't know who you are?

Second, you were complaining earlier about sueing someone for insulting them online. I see you are doing the same thing. Shall we sue you now?

The word hypocrite comes to mind.
I guess I'm not THAT important to have my questions answered.
karx11erx
DX-XL Master
DX-XL Master

Post by karx11erx »

One, maybe two things before I leave:

#1 I neither added nor removed the \"controversy\" paragraph from the D2X-XL text, so don't blame me for anything that has to do with it (and that's still only 3 paragraphs, and FYI: 6 = 2 * 3. Looks like your mathematical capabilities are on the level of a 3 year older here: \"1,2 ... errm ... 6!\" I understand: \"6\" is just \"more than can be counted\" or \"many\", hm?).

#2 I can see nothing wrong in clearly showing the difference between XL and Rebirth. I mean, that's what all the fuzz about XL vs. Rebirth has been, hasn't it: \"True to the original\" (R) vs. \"souped up\" (XL)

So what? Where's the negativity in that? It's only you who sees it like that, because you are so immensely preoccupied. You are digging and digging and digging for a proof for your lies - but that still isn't one.

And \"pompous\"? Sorry dude, but it's probably simply way above your capabilities to express yourself.

It's amazing that it is even possible to operate on the level you do.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

karx12erx wrote:I can see nothing wrong in clearly showing the difference between XL and Rebirth. I mean, that's what all the fuzz about XL vs. Rebirth has been, hasn't it: "True to the original" (R) vs. "souped up" (XL)
Once again openly admits editing wikipedia to put make other projects look secondary and pale by comparison with opinions,, advertising and biased information

Thank you Diedle - As always you let your anger get the better of you, out slips the truth - too late to edit now
karx12erx wrote:I can see nothing wrong in clearly showing the difference between XL and Rebirth.
BIASED OPINIONS - BIASED by AUTHOR - against wikipedia guidelines
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Look what I found in my Inbox, here I was thinking you were just crazy when you talked about the Secret Society, Diedle
Secret Society wrote: Great Job BUBBALOU - This Case is now closed

I must have appeased the Great Descent Masters!

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
jshaner
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by jshaner »

CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Oh well, the fun stops now. And I didn't even get my questions answered.
karx11erx
DX-XL Master
DX-XL Master

Re:

Post by karx11erx »

BUBBALOU wrote:
karx12erx wrote:I can see nothing wrong in clearly showing the difference between XL and Rebirth. I mean, that's what all the fuzz about XL vs. Rebirth has been, hasn't it: "True to the original" (R) vs. "souped up" (XL)
Once again openly admits editing wikipedia to put make other projects look secondary and pale by comparison with opinions, advertising and biased information
Where in that text is Rebirth put in a negative light please?

You can post that as often as you want, but it's simply not true. Nowhere did I say one version is better than the other. All I said is "this version has this emphasis, and that version has that emphasis". And what is wrong about that? It's the declared goal of Rebirth not to add a lot of fancy stuff, but to keep it as close to the original as possible. That's exactly what I wrote, and that's exactly what Zico repeatedly said about Rebirth, and what people who dislike XL bring into position against XL. You could as well say XL is put in a bad light, because I wrote that it enhances (adds a lot of stuff to) the engine while die-hard Descent fans just don't like that. Plus, the engine has been enhanced, just ask Sirius. He stated that it renders faster than Rebirth. Not to speak of a few ugly bugs I have removed that stem from the original code.

Finally, that stuff was there for maybe two years. Nobody cared, particularly not Zico, and he knew about it.

On the other side did someone start to post that "controversy" crap about XL, claiming you could enable XL features in multiplayer and basically "cheat", when you can't. You can't turn MP critical XL features on unless the game host uses XL (if people think some permitted feature is critical, they can discuss it in the D2X-XL forum - just not you). XL even detects if the game host doesn't and will block all enhancements that would give the XL user an advantage in multiplayer.

Everybody who knows how to handle a debugger can verify that (as well as proper hit sphere handling for all cockpit types).

So stop spreading your FUD here, Blabberfool, and stop mistaking "honesty" for "anger" (understandable, given your concept of "truth", but nevertheless wrong). You are too stupid to understand and judge any of what you are trying to mess with here, and your lies will stay lies how ever hard you are trying to twist the truth.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

karx12erx wrote:That's exactly what I wrote, and that's exactly what Zico repeatedly said about Rebirth
You are an author of one said project, therefore you should (shall) maintain neutrality and only view it's content on wikipedia.

Unfortunately you openly admit to tampering with it, again you let the truth slip. Bottom Line - you are editing other project sections with your twisted perception of your biased views for your own means... that you deny... but then again admit....keep it up

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
karx11erx
DX-XL Master
DX-XL Master

Post by karx11erx »

Not even reading your mental diarrhea anymore, just FYI: I have asked a Wikipedia mod to look into the chapter. If he says it's an ad, so be it. If not, just STFU.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re:

Post by CDN_Merlin »

karx12erx wrote:Not even reading your mental diarrhea anymore, just FYI: I have asked a Wikipedia mod to look into the chapter. If he says it's an ad, so be it. If not, just STFU.
Did you give him the link to this thread?
karx11erx
DX-XL Master
DX-XL Master

Post by karx11erx »

Good idea. Done.

All I can say that whatever I have written about XL or Rebirth was with a clean conscience and best intentions. No way did I dream of somebody interpreting it as an attempt to provide biased information or elevate one version at the cost of the other. All I have written are facts that can be proven.

You know darn well how heated the discussion around XL's extra features vs. Rebirth's \"pure\" Descent experience was, where at the end I even added a \"-pureD2\" option to XL to make it as simple as possible to have the same basic, old-style Descent experience with XL. People like B and all the other XL bashers just never appreciated that I did so much to give them what they wanted to. That's a clear indiciation that their true motives were of different nature.

If anybody still believes there's not a few low lives who constantly seek to damage D2X-XL, he must be either blind or one of said low lives.

Enough of this crap now.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Diedel, you should learn to put EDIT: when you edit your posts. This way it tells people you edited them. Doing it your way suggests you are hiding something even though you are only adding to it.

It would just stop some confusion as to what you edited in your post.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Diedle got caught again..... but there is only so much BS one will put up with. So this time everyone knows about what he has been doing, he's attempting to cover it up now.

What's next I wonder??

karx11erx
DX-XL Master
DX-XL Master

Post by karx11erx »

Oh my ...

Usually I create a post, then I read and check it, then I edit it, etc. until it says exactly what I want to say in the way I want to say it. That's all. I will only use an \"Edit:\" tag if I add something new after a significant period of time.

Ask yourself how much it says about your preconceptions if the first thought when seeing an edit not marked as such is \"he must be hiding something\". I don't even have such thoughts in such a case. We are living in different worlds, don't we? (Please take this as a thought-provoking impulse and not as an offense).

I have added talk links to the DXX-Rebirth and D2X-XL sections in the Wikipedia. I have also read the policy links and made sure the policies are followed in the D2X-XL section. I have not touched the DXX-Rebirth section apart from moving the policies links there for good reason, because what I can already say is that the neutrality/bias and verifiability policies are violated in that section (see discussion link).

Take for example \"classical gameplay\". What's that? That's extremely biased and not really verifiable, because you cannot exactly define it. Same goes for the \"original Descent feel\". That's crap that has no place in a Wikipedia entry.

You think that you are behaving perfectly and that I am making one mistake after the other, when it's exactly the other way round.

The sad thing about you is that you cannot simply point out flaws in the Wikipedia entry, but have to use the issue as a vehicle for your aggression. Funny enough that when taking a close look at the Wikipedia policies the Rebirth section is way worse than the XL section.

Too high probably for someone who's trying to cling to every straw that might keep his lies afloat, hm Blahblah? Tell me, what did I cover up?

Blahblah and his little crusade. I think he'd put me on a stake and burn me if he could ... :lol:
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

From a Previous post

Well we all know where he stands on this matter and will do ANYTHING to push his view on others even at wikipedia
Diedel aka karx12erx - Posted Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:18 am wrote:People who don't like it (D2X-XL) can stick with other Descent versions' grainy graphics, 2D sprites, lack of visuals and low res Pyros until they rot.
karx11erx
DX-XL Master
DX-XL Master

Post by karx11erx »

Blahblah,

you can stick with other Descent versions' grainy graphics, 2D sprites, lack of visuals and low res Pyros until you rot. ;)

Ouch, the truth ... what do you want? Compare screenshots from other Descent 2 versions with D2X-XL's and you will find that there's hardly anything to add to what I said.

But this twist again to somehow connect it with the Wikipedia entry ... tsk tsk. You will not find any personal opinion of mine there, only what everybody has been saying about XL and Rebirth anyway (\"classical gameplay\" anybody)?

So, once D2X-XL's new renderer works, will you secretly shed tears because your brickheadedness doesn't allow you to use it, or will you turn to your opportunistic side (which we all know you have given your treatment of MB - see above) and secretly play it, while outwardly bashing it?

Hm?

Junge, man weiss schon nicht mehr ob man über Dich lachen oder weinen soll.

(Obi will translate ;)).
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Sirius »

BUBBALOU wrote:Now See Below

Code: Select all

D2X-XL

A Windows-specific development branch was spawned from the D2X project, fixing all of the issues D2X still had and adding a lot of new features, such as the ability to play Descent missions in Descent 2. This branch was originally titled D2X-W32 but was ported to Linux and Mac OS X later on, and renamed to D2X-XL to reflect both the broader scope and greatly enhanced feature set of the project.

D2X-XL is the most advanced and feature-rich user-enhanced version of Descent to date, and offers many features like colored lighting, smoke, real-time shadowing, new weapon effects and new game modes that enhance the single-player experience and give new twists to multi-player games. As most ports, it retains full compatibility with the original game and can be switched in appearance between a graphically updated version, and the original look and feel of Descent.

Controversy

D2X-XL, unlike other modified versions of Descent, grants the user the ability to change some settings in a way that can affect and change online gameplay. There has been an ongoing discussion among Descent online players whether or not these settings give a player the ability to gain an unfair advantage when playing against others in a multiplayer setting. As such features are under full control of the game host and are completely disabled if the game host does not use D2X-XL to avoid any imbalances in multiplayer matches, there is however little grounds left for such concerns.
Controversy section should never have been there. That's a horribly old section though. How about this one, that apparently is written like "an advertisement":
D2X-XL was initially spawned from the D2X project as a Windows-specific development branch, fixing all of the issues D2X still had and adding a lot of new features, such as the ability to play Descent missions in Descent 2. This branch was originally titled D2X-W32 but was ported to Linux and Mac OS X later on, and renamed to D2X-XL to reflect both the broader scope and greatly enhanced feature set of the project.

D2X-XL is offering many features like colored lighting, smoke, real-time shadowing, new weapon effects, support for improved textures and 3D models and new game modes that enhance the single-player experience and give new twists to multi-player games. As most ports, it retains full compatibility with the original game and can be switched in appearance between a graphically updated version, and the original look and feel of Descent.
First paragraph I can't see anyone taking issue to. The second one is stating some of the features it has.

How is this like an advertisement? Is it an "advertisement" to say anything mildly good about D2X-XL around here? Even the statement in the old version that "it's the most advanced version to date" is not just blatant marketing, because it's obviously true. Do any other versions have coloured lighting? Large level support? OOF/ASE support? Coronas and smoke (they may not work perfectly but they're there if you want them)?

At least for once the Descent community needs to take a look at itself... your bias is showing far more clearly than Diedel's is on this matter.
karx11erx
DX-XL Master
DX-XL Master

Post by karx11erx »

I said that I revised the entry after having studied the Wikipedia policies. There's no statement left speaking about \"enhancements\" or anything the like.

The problem is not that I wouldn't accept correction. The problem is the way this is being presented to me, and the level here is - as usual on this forum - so low that it's already \"subterranean\".

Many people here need correction way, way more than I do. And some should be banned right away.
jshaner
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by jshaner »

DXX Rebirth and D2X-XL are seperate projects. To my knowledge, they aim for different things, as D2X-XL seems to be to be for a modernistic approach, while Rebirth seems to be all about the old style of playing. They are different, and for someone to say one is better over the other is petty and stupid. Everyone has their preference.

Wikipedia has administrators. Let them handle it. Maybe the sections should be written by people who don't care about which is better, but people who name things for what they are...?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I just put in my own attempt, but mostly because the wording was a tad awkward in places. I can't see how the current state could be offensive to anyone...

The COI block is still there, although I wish it had a border around it - it clutters the page quite a lot. I also can't work out whether it's referring to D2X-XL or Rebirth (probably the former).
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Re:

Post by zico »

jshaner wrote:DXX Rebirth and D2X-XL are seperate projects. To my knowledge, they aim for different things, as D2X-XL seems to be to be for a modernistic approach, while Rebirth seems to be all about the old style of playing. They are different, and for someone to say one is better over the other is petty and stupid. Everyone has their preference.

Wikipedia has administrators. Let them handle it. Maybe the sections should be written by people who don't care about which is better, but people who name things for what they are...?
Full ACK. Thanks. :)
karx11erx
DX-XL Master
DX-XL Master

Post by karx11erx »

That \"classical gameplay\" stuff has to go from the Rebirth section. XL's gameplay is unaltered from the original as well, so saying that about R, but not XL would be exactly what B. is accusing me of: Qualifying XL in a way that makes it appear better than other game versions. Regard that I am not trying to start a fight but to have both sections treated equally and fair.

R's graphics aren't classical anymore because they are already smoothed by OpenGL's texture handling. Sure, you can turn that off, but you can turn that off in XL, too.

So, regarding \"classical\" appearance or gameplay, there is no difference between R and XL. Same goes for being \"faithful to the look and feel of the original game\". Even the look is questionable, and you need to compare with the 3dfx version to avoid contradictions, but the \"feel\" of XL is no different from the feel of R or other versions. The ship behaves the same, the weapons behave the same (you can fiddle with some, but don't have to), the robots behave the same. So what the R entry actually does is to suggest other versions (you know which I am talking of) would not convey the Descent 2 \"feel\" as much as R.

So much to my being biased. Grab your own nose, Blahblah.
Bakdraft
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bakdraft »

CDN_Merlin wrote:
Ok, first things first. Why don't you use your Diedfel name instead of a new name hoping people don't know who you are?

Second, you were complaining earlier about sueing someone for insulting them online. I see you are doing the same thing. Shall we sue you now?

The word hypocrite comes to mind.
http://descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?t=12507

just posting some irony regarding abuse of multiple names on this forum

notsoninja edit to quote merlin
karx11erx
DX-XL Master
DX-XL Master

Re:

Post by karx11erx »

Sirius wrote: I can't see how the current state could be offensive to anyone...
The problem is that Bub isn't concerned about D2X-R being done justice. He is concerned about bashing me and D2X-XL.

Merlin,

I cannot login as Diedel. I don't yet know why. But most people know that my usual screen name is karx11erx, so karx12erx is pretty clear. Dude, you are just looking for proof that I am dishonest person again. Well, obviously that's your standard ...

I didn't say anything here I could be sued for. Obi on the other side has said a few things he could be sued for very well in the EU, and it would cost him dearly if the judgement would be against him. You don't compare someone to Hitler or tell him he's a psychopath here. That are massive insults according the the laws here. We are talking a few 1000 Euros here.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I slightly disagree that both are 'classic'. DXX seems more 'classical' since Zico hasn't really altered the appearance of the original game, other than to add some transparencies and other small goodies. It still looks like the original basically, which is why I liked the game so much in the first place, even better than D3.

However, D2X-XL has been heavily modified to take more advantage of modern graphics improvements and it shows. Not a bad thing either, since many like to see and get the most of their newer graphics cards, and all the added bells and whistles XL has to offer are great eye candy if you have the graphics horsepower to have the settings maxed out. That's where XL shines and is different from the original.

Both versions are great, I play them both just because of the differences between them. However, I really need a more powerful machine to see the full effects in XL, which will keep me interested in Descent whenever I can upgrade or replace my current machine. :D
karx11erx
DX-XL Master
DX-XL Master

Post by karx11erx »

Tunnelcat,

\"classical\" is not a precise term, hence it has no place in a Wikipedia entry, imo.

The other point is that Bub claimed I'd try to put Rebirth down, while I believe that the way the entries now sound suggest that XL doesn't offer real Descent 2 gameplay anymore. I also believe that gameplay and graphics are two different things, but they are thrown together in the Rebirth section.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re:

Post by CDN_Merlin »

karx12erx wrote:
Sirius wrote: I can't see how the current state could be offensive to anyone...
The problem is that Bub isn't concerned about D2X-R being done justice. He is concerned about bashing me and D2X-XL.

Merlin,

I cannot login as Diedel. I don't yet know why. But most people know that my usual screen name is karx11erx, so karx12erx is pretty clear. Dude, you are just looking for proof that I am dishonest person again. Well, obviously that's your standard ...

I didn't say anything here I could be sued for. Obi on the other side has said a few things he could be sued for very well in the EU, and it would cost him dearly if the judgement would be against him. You don't compare someone to Hitler or tell him he's a psychopath. That's massive insults. We are talking a few 1000 Euros here.

1)I've never known you as anything but Diedel.
2) Calling someone a psychopath or comparing them to Hitler or calling someone stupid is all up to the receiver. Pain can't be "mass" measured. Some people feel it more than others. And you say you are so smart you don't need to ask for examples.
karx11erx
DX-XL Master
DX-XL Master

Post by karx11erx »

Merlin,

if it was up to the receiver, there wouldn't be laws regarding insulting and dishonoring people. I don't think you have thought a lot when posting that. Just imagine walking down the street, or going to shop, and there's constantly somebody calling you names and cursing at you. Hey, it's all up to the receiver, never mind, dude? Definitely not.

Obi is an impertinent person who believes he can do everything because it's the internet and he is far away. He needs a lesson.

You know what really turns me off about you? You couldn't just ask why I didn't use \"Diedel\", you had to add that dumb remark about hypocrisy. Why is that? Because my reply might have taken away the opportunity to insult me? Or just because you are thoughtless and cannot handle yourself properly?

Edit 2:

Hypocrisy? Maybe I cannot use Diedel because I have been banned. I wouldn't even know what for, particularly given the recent treatment I have been given in Obi's whinging thread. Nobody got banned for the things they said there, and some broke the forum rules for sure. So if I got banned (dunno yet), it's pure hypocrisy on the side of those that did.

Edit 1:

Merlin, many people here, and you too, are so upset about my \"attitude\", when the main problem is that I am telling them some unconvenient truths right in the face, and that's something most here don't like. So I am not even insulting anyone, just saying what I think and see, and yet people are so upset about me.

Know what? Hey, it's all about the receiver. And in this case it would even be right to say that. So why are you so upset about me? Who is hypocritical here?
jshaner
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by jshaner »

tunnelcat wrote:I slightly disagree that both are 'classic'. DXX seems more 'classical' since Zico hasn't really altered the appearance of the original game, other than to add some transparencies and other small goodies. It still looks like the original basically, which is why I liked the game so much in the first place, even better than D3.

However, D2X-XL has been heavily modified to take more advantage of modern graphics improvements and it shows. Not a bad thing either, since many like to see and get the most of their newer graphics cards, and all the added bells and whistles XL has to offer are great eye candy if you have the graphics horsepower to have the settings maxed out. That's where XL shines and is different from the original.

Both versions are great, I play them both just because of the differences between them. However, I really need a more powerful machine to see the full effects in XL, which will keep me interested in Descent whenever I can upgrade or replace my current machine. :D
A good Point :D

classical=similar to original
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

You've added 'monsterball' and 'bullettime' to XL, which seems more modern to me. It's just semantics anyway, why worry about it. Both game versions have their merits.
karx11erx
DX-XL Master
DX-XL Master

Post by karx11erx »

tunnelcat,

I have added a lot more stuff to XL, but you can turn it all off, and it's as simple as adding a single switch to d2x.ini or the d2x-xl command line (-pureD2).

So what sets XL apart from other versions are its added features - because other versions don't offer anything like that.

But what does not set other versions apart from XL is some \"classical look and feel\" - because XL can have that too.
jshaner
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by jshaner »

tunnelcat wrote:You've added 'monsterball' and 'bullettime' to XL, which seems more modern to me. It's just semantics anyway, why worry about it. Both game versions have their merits.
Once again, a very good point.
tunnelcat wrote:It's just semantics anyway, why worry about it.
karx12erx wrote:tunnelcat,

I have added a lot more stuff to XL, but you can turn it all off, and it's as simple as adding a single switch to d2x.ini or the d2x-xl command line (-pureD2).

So what sets XL apart from other versions are its added features - because other versions don't offer anything like that.

But what does not set other versions apart from XL is some "classical look and feel" - because XL can have that too.
Rebirth and XL are seperate projects. Why go around trying to prove to everyone one is better? Even if so, which i am not one to judge, why go around making a point of it? Why not let things go their own way without controversy?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Those were just examples. I know there is much more to XL. That is why it is more modern in my opinion. Not a bad thing either.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

By the way Diedel, I'm giving you a compliment by calling XL 'modern'. That's not a BAD thing at all. 8)
karx11erx
DX-XL Master
DX-XL Master

Post by karx11erx »

Tunnelcat,

no problem with that.

The initial discussion was however that I would qualify XL and Rebirth in a way that puts Rebirth down, and that's exactly what I see happening with XL when branding Rebirth as \"classical\" and XL not.

The entire thing is actually pretty hypothetical and rather meaningless, but this forum is a sink for all trolls who want to harm me through D2X-XL in one way or the other, so this got started by one.

And it says everything about the forum admins that they won't stop this forum being abused for constant agitation against D2X-XL.

The stupid thing about this bullcrap is that it took away the time I wanted to use to start adding a new renderer to D2X-XL. Well, I will lift a few weights, watch a little TV and relax instead. :)
karx11erx
DX-XL Master
DX-XL Master

Re:

Post by karx11erx »

jshaner wrote:Rebirth and XL are seperate projects. Why go around trying to prove to everyone one is better? Even if so, which i am not one to judge, why go around making a point of it? Why not let things go their own way without controversy?
You have to ask Bub (balou). He started this rubbish.
jshaner
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by jshaner »

karx12erx wrote:
jshaner wrote:Rebirth and XL are seperate projects. Why go around trying to prove to everyone one is better? Even if so, which i am not one to judge, why go around making a point of it? Why not let things go their own way without controversy?
You have to ask Bub (balou). He started this rubbish.
Hmmm...well, i am hoping all this controversy will end.