Firefox 3!!!!!!!

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Strife
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Firefox 3!!!!!!!

Post by Strife »

Its dope! Get it!

http://www.spreadfirefox.com/

Break guiness book of records.. They are trying to get most downloads in one day starting 11 PST!!!
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Yes.... wasn't that yesterday?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Yep, it was yesterday.

And it was comical how instantly mozilla.com and related sites went kaput. Literally one minute they were working fine and the next you would be lucky to even get a HTTP1.1 Service Unavailable error from them.
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

Firefox 3 downloads hit 7m despite server FAIL

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/18 ... _3_record/
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Downloaded. Installed and played with it. Then uninstalled. :)
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Really? Just not a Firefox fan?

(I use v2)
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

I love Firefox. Safer to use than IE any day, doesn't crash and have all the extra bloat that comes with nutscrape. Opera is ok but just not there yet.

What's new in V3?
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Re:

Post by JMEaT »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:Really? Just not a Firefox fan?

(I use v2)
Yeah, I've tried to use FF a number of times over IE. It just never really grew on me I guess.

It is a very nice browser though. :)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

JMEaT wrote:
Sergeant Thorne wrote:Really? Just not a Firefox fan?

(I use v2)
Yeah, I've tried to use FF a number of times over IE. It just never really grew on me I guess.

It is a very nice browser though. :)
Try it with the adblockplus add-on using the easylist USA + element blocker next time.
Spooky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Spooky »

fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

9x and NT I think.

it should still work on 2000.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Hmmmm.... not happy about the fact that you are forced to install Google toolbar or Yahoo toolbar.... also not happy that it has an annoying pop-up under your toolbar when it asks you if you want to save your password. I wonder if there is a way to just disable it from saving passwords at all. I don't like to save that information in my browser... PERIOD.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Re:

Post by JMEaT »

[]V[]essenjah wrote:Hmmmm.... not happy about the fact that you are forced to install Google toolbar or Yahoo toolbar.... also not happy that it has an annoying pop-up under your toolbar when it asks you if you want to save your password. I wonder if there is a way to just disable it from saving passwords at all. I don't like to save that information in my browser... PERIOD.
If you chose the Advanced (or custom or whatever) install you have the option to uncheck those.
heftig
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by heftig »

[]V[]essenjah wrote:Hmmmm.... not happy about the fact that you are forced to install Google toolbar or Yahoo toolbar.... also not happy that it has an annoying pop-up under your toolbar when it asks you if you want to save your password. I wonder if there is a way to just disable it from saving passwords at all. I don't like to save that information in my browser... PERIOD.
You can disable password saving: Tools --> Options --> Security

Forced to install Google or Yahoo toolbar? They ship that with the installer? I didn't notice anything like that.
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

If I remember right, during the install you have the options to install them and the default is set to install them. You have to do the manual or advanced install to skip those.
heftig
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by heftig »

The installer doesn't give me these options. :?
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

Guess I remember wrong :oops:

Happens when you get old fat and toothless :roll:
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

If you have a toolbar installed I think it can infect any browser that you use. The FF3 installer didn't remember seeing any of that when installed. I picked the \"Advanced\" install I think it was and it didn't say anything about a toolbar.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

It's a lot faster than the decrepit 2.x series, which is more than enough reason for me get it.

Honestly, switching between Hammer Editor and Firefox was a freakin' chore.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Jeff250 »

This is so much better though than the traditional way of popping up a dialog asking you if you want to remember the password before the form submits. With this new way, you can actually see if you've entered the correct password before committing the browser to remembering it! Brilliant!
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

FF3's rendering isd a bit strange...it loads the whole page in 18pt Times New Roman, standard blue/purble links, and only afterwards applies the CSS. Wierd. I only really noticed it on this site and .com. Other sites not so much. Maybe beause they are more graphically oriented...

Renderer is a bit faster. I lost only one extension. It prompted and upgraded my Adblock and flashblock nicely. The tabs are a lot cleaner than before. The <- -> buttons are slick, I like (ie: will steal) the idea.

I haven't tested the memory leak yet, I don't have it installed at home yet. Anyone leave the browser open overnight? How much memory did it use?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

It already does seem to be a bit lighter in usage from FF2... haven't had it break 100 MB memory yet, whereas I'd eventually get 200 in its predecessor. Which dragged things down quite a lot.

Not sure whether my usage patterns have been sufficient to replicate that though. Eventually I might work it out...
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Jeff250 wrote:
This is so much better though than the traditional way of popping up a dialog asking you if you want to remember the password before the form submits. With this new way, you can actually see if you've entered the correct password before committing the browser to remembering it! Brilliant!
Yeah.... however, you shouldn't be storing your passwords in ANY browser EVER. At least if you like your identity.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Or else!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I store my passwords. I don't care what others say, especially since if someone somehow broke into my house and read the passwords off my computer to, like ... spoof me on this bulletin board, it's not really going to matter anyway. The breaking into my house bit is what I'd be worried about.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

I would be more concerned about malware or a backdoor program of some sort, allowing someone to gain access to wherever Firefox stores your passwords.

Then again... if you had a problem.... you might want to be concerned about key-loggers more than that. I don't need Firefox to store my password, my brain takes care of that for me.

If you buy anything on-line, you might be more concerned about someone getting into your account information to purchase anything they want on your bill.

There are some really nice hacking tools out there for cracking passwords on a windows machine.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Physical access to the machine = compromised security, and that will never change no matter what you do.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

I cant even get FF3 to EXECUTE on my machine. It installs, but the moment I double click the process it disappears.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Re:

Post by Krom »

Top Wop wrote:I cant even get FF3 to EXECUTE on my machine. It installs, but the moment I double click the process it disappears.
Uninstall (2.x too if you still have it), delete all related folders and settings (search C:\\ for any folder named "firefox" or "mozilla" including hidden and system folders), reboot, reinstall.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Jeff250 »

[]V[]essenjah wrote:There are some really nice hacking tools out there for cracking passwords on a windows machine.
What does this have to do with me? :P

But this is due to known weaknesses in the Windows LM password hash. Windows versions prior to Vista have been, by default, storing these hashes for backwards compatibility purposes, even though everyone has known for quite a while that they suck hard. You may want to look into disabling LM hashing if you are concerned about this.

But your Windows password is moot if someone has physical access to your machine anyways. They would have to crack your Firefox master password to get your passwords that Firefox remembers. I assume that Firefox, unlike Windows, uses cryptographically secure hashing.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

I didn't mention anything about physical access now did I?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re:

Post by fliptw »

[]V[]essenjah wrote:I didn't mention anything about physical access now did I?
doesn't matter. You not forgetting your password doesn't prevent anyone with physical access from getting your data. Its actually a pretty open hole people never think about, physical security.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

Sirius wrote:It already does seem to be a bit lighter in usage from FF2... haven't had it break 100 MB memory yet, whereas I'd eventually get 200 in its predecessor. Which dragged things down quite a lot.

Not sure whether my usage patterns have been sufficient to replicate that though. Eventually I might work it out...
So far for me (yes, I did finally install it) ... the "memory leak" isn't as bad, though I've gotten it up to 190mb and still slowly climbing (but very, very slowly) ... I also don't blame FireFox for that, but blame the various media components (Flash, Shockwave, etc.) because it's only with those items in use that I'm seeing anything like a "memory leak" with it.

As for anything like a Google or Yahoo toolbar being packaged with it ... no such thing, at least not from where I downloaded it (http://www.mozilla.com, why anywhere else?).

Overall the UI seems smoother and more polished while being a little trimmer (less screen space required). Not quite used to the address bar yet (though it is certainly more informative) and I miss the the style of the previous versions downloads window. Oh well. Does seem to be faster overall.

EDIT: Oh, lest I should forget ... Check the system requirements. Works on Windows 2000 and newer. Installed perfectly on all my 2000 systems along with my XP Home and XP Pro systems. In a few days I'll have it installed on a Vista system (but I really don't want to).
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Well, I have officially shifted to Firefox! I absolutely love it, and holy crap it even has SPELLCHECK!

I also love FoxyTunes! WEEEE!!!!!!! Music signature!!!
----------------
Now playing: The Offspring - Come Out Swinging
via FoxyTunes
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by []V[]essenjah »

fliptw wrote:
[]V[]essenjah wrote:I didn't mention anything about physical access now did I?
doesn't matter. You not forgetting your password doesn't prevent anyone with physical access from getting your data. Its actually a pretty open hole people never think about, physical security.
Dude... your missing my point. I don't know how you missed it, but you did. I'm not talking about physical access. I'm talking about spyware/malware. Physical access is a different situation. That is why you buy a home security system and lock up your PC. Point is, it makes it a whole lot easier to store your passwords in the easiest place to look, particularly for malicious, automated, programs. I would rather try to track down someone who hacked my machine with physical access (since it narrows down the suspects) than I would, trying to locate the person across the globe.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Spyware and malware is one of the reasons we use Firefox. Even though nobody working for mozilla would like the concept, I would prefer it if Firefox remained at less than 20% market share and the market stays dominated entirely by IE. As long as IE draws in most of the malware attention it is good for Firefox users like us.

Also being cautious with your browsing habits, keeping up to date on OS security patches, and scanning for malware once or twice a month is sufficient to keep a system totally clean. No antivirus scanner is going to protect your computer from you, and not having Firefox remember your passwords does not equal safety from malware/identity theft. If you are careless, your security WILL be compromised weather your computer asks for your password once a year, or once a minute.
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Cuda68 »

Krom wrote:Spyware and malware is one of the reasons we use Firefox. Even though nobody working for mozilla would like the concept, I would prefer it if Firefox remained at less than 20% market share and the market stays dominated entirely by IE. As long as IE draws in most of the malware attention it is good for Firefox users like us.

Also being cautious with your browsing habits, keeping up to date on OS security patches, and scanning for malware once or twice a month is sufficient to keep a system totally clean. No antivirus scanner is going to protect your computer from you, and not having Firefox remember your passwords does not equal safety from malware/identity theft. If you are careless, your security WILL be compromised weather your computer asks for your password once a year, or once a minute.
Yup and Linux helps also 8)
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Jeff250 »

[]V[]essenjah wrote:That is why you buy a home security system and lock up your PC. Point is, it makes it a whole lot easier to store your passwords in the easiest place to look, particularly for malicious, automated, programs. I would rather try to track down someone who hacked my machine with physical access (since it narrows down the suspects) than I would, trying to locate the person across the globe.
If you have malicious spyware on your computer, then you are SOL anyways. Manually typing in passwords will be keylogged. At least unencrypting stored passwords will take on the order of a few decades to crack. :P
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Yep, I mentioned that in a previous post too. I constantly run antispyware/antivirus programs, even though I never find anything other than spyware. However, I specialize in PC cleanup and restoring lost data at work.

I'm aware of keyloggers, thus why I mentioned it. It is still a lot safer to do everything you can to prevent identity theft.

I may be a bit of an extremist in that sense but I'm also a paranoid perfectionist.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I don't store my bank passwords anywhere, actually, not even on a piece of paper. But forum accounts, which I have at least a dozen of... suffice it to say I don't think it's worth the effort trying to remember that many passwords. The world isn't going to end if someone breaks into those anyway.