Love him or Hate him

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Love him or Hate him

Post by woodchip »

Rush Limbaugh knows how to attract listeners:

\"Already host of the most lucrative hours since radio's inception, Limbaugh's total package is valued north of $400 million, according to media insiders.

In what is being described as an unprecedented radio contract, Limbaugh will keep his syndicated show on-the-air and e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e through 2016 with CLEAR CHANNEL and PREMIERE RADIO. \"

http://www.drudgereport.com/flashrl.htm

So want to get your views out I suggest to study up on how Rush does it. Air America did not and failed utterly. Deeper down I don't think the American public really cares much for liberal hosts as I can't think of any (liberal) that
succeed. Is Rush's success because of presentation or that he promotes conservatism?
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I don’t know, the local liberal hosts are popular here.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

woodchip wrote:Deeper down I don't think the American public really cares much for liberal hosts as I can't think of any (liberal) that succeed. Is Rush's success because of presentation or that he promotes conservatism?
Are you talking about radio hosts or hosts in general? I think that the problem with liberal radio is that a large part of their demographic, young'uns, don't own radios or aren't interested in them. I definitely fall into the younger demographic, and I don't even own a radio. And if I did, I don't know what I would do with it except store it away in some closet. For better or for worse, that's just the way it is. Aren't we young'uns great?

Outside of radio, there are a lot of popular liberal television hosts. I think that Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert are the exemplar of successful liberal hosts. If you look at Fox News' attempt to emulate their success with "The 1/2 Hour News Hour," this is something even more pitiful than Air America. :P
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Stephen Colbert is a liberal?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re:

Post by fliptw »

Spidey wrote:Stephen Colbert is a liberal?
he's a satirical conservative.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

hey i know.. let's turn this into another republican vs democrat thread! sound good?
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Limbaugh is a success because of his presentation. He says things his dittohead listeners want to hear and perennially makes controversial statements that wind up permeating through other forms of media, staggered just often enough to boost his ratings when they decline.

Still, it's a bit of a mystery how or if his success will continue. I'd like to think Americans would be tired of his polarizing \"Us vs. Them\" rhetoric, but I doubt that's the case.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

Fox News is also very popular. That doesn't mean that they're in any way good, it just means they're very good at sensationalising things in such a way that people start thinking little news things are somehow important to their lives.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Look at it this way, the country has been effectively divided in half by the methods the two parties use to keep their bases on the plantation. Until Limbaugh came around there was no loud voice for roughly one half of the country to cheer along with....Fox News is another example of someone recognizing that market and delivering product to them.

It's no wonder he has such success when you consider the lack of conservative voices combined with the fact he is clever and funny and passionate. He's kind of sophomoric with his personal attacks sometimes but he has some really good stuff too, from his excellent impersonations of Clinton and McCain, the parody stuff done with Paul Shanklin to his Official Obama Criticizer.... He's a total package not just some angry white man ranting endlessly for a few hours everyday.

He's damn good at what he does and for the conservative side of the spectrum it's a welcome relief from Hollywood's endless liberal output which fills much of the rest of the airwaves, movies and TV. I think a lot of people aren't really aware of the left wing spin that exists in movies and television because it's always been there, it is considered the norm when actually it is just as biased to the left as Limbaugh is to the right.
At least Limbaugh tells you up front he's an advocate for the conservative ideology.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Will Robinson wrote:Fox News is another example of someone recognizing that market and delivering product to them.
Fox News is just another example of how most people will believe anything if you add enough sensationalism. I don't even want to know how many people still think Mass Effect is a game with a heck-load of sex in it.
Will Robinson wrote:He's damn good at what he does and for the conservative side of the spectrum it's a welcome relief from Hollywood's endless liberal output which fills much of the rest of the airwaves, movies and TV. I think a lot of people aren't really aware of the left wing spin that exists in movies and television because it's always been there, it is considered the norm when actually it is just as biased to the left as Limbaugh is to the right.
Care to give examples as to what you mean?