Disk Cloning

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Strife
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Disk Cloning

Post by Strife »

K i wanna replace my OS drive with one thats a little faster. Most of my programs are on a seperate hard drive entirely. I want to take that drive out for a moment. Put in the extra drive. Clone my OS drive. Take my current OS drive out. Stick the cloned drive in. Then put my other extra drive without any OS back in. What is the best possible way to do this.
suicide eddie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by suicide eddie »

acronis apps work nicely for me. but if you have not reinstalled in a couple of years, do so and your,ll benefit without accuminlated clutter

http://www.acronis.co.uk/
Herculosis
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Herculosis »

I've used Partition Magic to do pretty much exactly what you're talking about. Definitely worth the price.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

CasperXP works great. I've used it many times. But I'd suggest re-installing. It's always good and it will speed up your PC.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Needing to reinstall or not really depends on how well maintained your OS is. If you are like me and go out of your way to keep Windows running (c)lean, you probably won't have to reinstall barring significant hardware changes. Once in a while I go through and uninstall little utilities and programs that I don't need or use anymore, I also police what starts with windows quite regularly. If you do that, and defrag regularly you can pretty much avoid most windows rot.
Strife
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Strife »

I hardly install anything on this PC... although I am sharing it with the girl now so I suppose I should keep a closer eye on it for a bit.... EEEEKK!