Insta-Reap Question

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

[RIP]Machete_Bug
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Insta-Reap Question

Post by [RIP]Machete_Bug »

So I was doing some pondering on Insta-reap. Not my favorite mod. But I did get to thinking recently:

\"Why would anyone play insta-reap in anything but a tank or phini?\"

With the tank, you're slowed down, but you get a faster MD reload time. ***EDIT: You also get a smaller hit sphere.***

With the phini you get a speed advantage.

As long as it's one-shot-one-kill, is there really any other consideration? Seems like showing up in a Pyro is just handicapping yourself.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: Insta-Reap Question

Post by Dakatsu »

[RIP]Machete_Bug wrote:So I was doing some pondering on Insta-reap. Not my favorite mod. But I did get to thinking recently:

"Why would anyone play insta-reap in anything but a tank or phini?"

With the tank, you're slowed down, but you get a faster MD reload time. ***EDIT: You also get a smaller hit sphere.***

With the phini you get a speed advantage.

As long as it's one-shot-one-kill, is there really any other consideration? Seems like showing up in a Pyro is just handicapping yourself.
Nope, thats pretty well it. It was copied from Instagib from UT, where everyone moved the same; ship speeds was not thought.
Hostile
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hostile »

Because pyros are just plain cool! :P
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re:

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Hostile wrote:Because pyros are just plain cool! :P
Stick with the original. Using the others shows you aren't as good as the player in the Pyro. :D
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Funny, I think of it the other way 'round.

I always play InstaReap in the Pyro, because the other ships have what I consider too much disadvantage:
- Tank is too slow, and draws too much attention (even though it has a faster MD reload and smaller hit sphere).
- Phoenix has much too large a hit sphere and too slow MD reload.
- Black Pyro... well, I just never fly BP.

Pyro just seems perfectly balanced for Insta-Reap... good MD reload, decent-size hit sphere, quick direction changes.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Behemoth »

CDN_Merlin wrote:
Hostile wrote:Because pyros are just plain cool! :P
Stick with the original. Using the others shows you aren't as good as the player in the Pyro. :D
EEEEEHNK
thats the sound of a buzzer going off for being wronngg
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

I just like the way the pyro handles so that's normally what I fly in instareap.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Pyro and Phoenix MD reloads are the same. BP has the slowest MD reload, Tank has the fastest.

Pyro works just fine in instareap, its faster than the Tank, but smaller than the Phoenix. And people should fly whatever ship they prefer, it isn't like the Phoenix or the Tank are going to outperform the Pyro in instareap by that much unless it is a level favorable to one ship in particular.