router issues

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

router issues

Post by ReadyMan »

I've got a Linksys wired router that seems to be having issues. Every 3 to 5 minutes I get a notice balloon that a network cable has been unplugged. It goes away in a second or two. This doesnt interrupt my net connection while browsing, but if I'm playing d3, I get a huge net loss, for a few seconds.

I know this is a router issue because:
my wife's laptop has the same issue
when plugged directly into the modem, I do not have this issue.

So I guess my question is: do routers die like this? seems odd that it would run fine for a year, then start to give intermittent connection issues.

btw, yes, I've checked the cables...it's definitely the router.

Thanks!

RM
Fighting villains is what I do!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Yes, sometimes Linksys (and other) routers do crap out after a year. You might have some luck checking for a firmware update (and power cycling the router), but in general Linksys product support is slim to completely nonexistent. The good news is that routers aren't anywhere near as expensive as they used to be 5+ years ago.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Yeah, some routers die like that.

I've got a Linksys that worked just fine for years ... then it started \"dropping off\" ... basically it acted like it was alive and well but wouldn't communicate with the outside world. The only thing that would correct it was to power cycle both it AND the DSL modem ('cause it would hose the modem's connect as well).

When I replaced it with a brand new LinkSys WRT54GL ... everything has worked perfectly ever since.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

thanks.
I'll go get a new one today.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

ive had my linksys BFSR41 for 3 years now and it still runs fine
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

unreal. I drove allthe way to BB and got a dead router...
wish I could find a netgear router, these linksys stink
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

I think all of the 'home' level of routers/firewalls all have this problem. Some brands more than others. If you get more than a couple years out of one of these your lucky.

If you have the money you might look at getting a Cisco 1841 router with the correct interface for your high speed internet as an option. Then you can use it for everything (Router/Modem and Firewall). Many of us don't have a couple grand to spend like this.
Tha Rock
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tha Rock »

issues like this tend revolve around old or crappy firmware.. u could try going to their website, and updating the firmware. If that doesn't work, buying a new one is the the way to go.. I use a Netgear Rangemax works really well
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Bad Transformer (wall wart) will do that to you also

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

the new router fixed the problem...took me forever to get it working tho...the ip was conflicting with my modem ip...so I couldnt get into the setup screen to change it. finally got it fixed tho.....

running smoothly now.

thanks for the help
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Linksys blows, ive had my NetGear router in operation for 5 straight years with no problems. I dont understand why people accept and buy crappy hardware and replace it each year with the same one. :roll:
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Yea, X2 on the NetGear.