Gustav

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Gustav

Post by Kiran »

So the meteorologists are saying that Gustav will get as strong as a category 3 before as it hits southeastern LA, but I'm rather anxious that it may turn into another category 5 hurricane like Katrina and Rita. (I'm also anxious due to having close relatives in LA, and they're only an hour's ride from the gulf).

The weather has been more mild than it was in 2005, so maybe it won't get that strong. What are your opinions on this? Do you think that the gulf waters are warm enough to potentially strengthen the storm into a cat. 5?
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I think we will know in a few days. We have good friends living in Slidell. Their's was one of the few houses not destroyed by Katrina. You know what they say about bullets: it is hard to dodge them twice.
Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Ford Prefect »

There is no way to accurately predict a hurricane's track or power. Let's hope Gustav fades to a tropical storm before landfall. I hope your family and friends stay safe, that area doesn't need more stress.
Clothes may make the man
But all a girl needs is a tan

-The Producers
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Well, it's a cat. 4 now. I just got off the phone with my mom and one of my cousins. Mom said that everybody evacuated to the north side of LA. At least they're safe. I still can't help but be anxious, though.
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by akula65 »

Well, your family is doing what the Red Cross (and common sense) recommends in terms of evacuating and notifying relatives:

http://www.redcross.org/article/0,1072, ... 71,00.html

If you are nervous to the point of distraction, you might consider donating blood at a local blood drive or blood collection center this weekend. Not only are the Gulf coast states apt to get tropical storms, they also don't generally get enough blood donations to satisfy local need, so those states have to make blood delivery requests from regions with a surplus.

If you don't want to give blood, you could assist with a local blood drive. For example, people are needed to register donors as they arrive at the blood drive and to assist donors at the canteens after they have given blood.

Local Red Cross chapters also need people with special skills that you probably wouldn't think of. For example, although the national Red Cross organization has a website design with a professional appearance, many local Red Cross chapters either don't have anyone at all to develop and maintain a website for the local chapter or the people developing those sites are woefully lacking in technical skills and/or artistic ability.

There are all sorts of ways to put that nervous energy to practical use.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Man, that's awesome it weakened down to a cat. 2. And the great thing about it is that the majority of the people in the south didn't take a chance. They prepared, evacuated, and the storm even weakened instead of getting stronger (which is interesting to me about that. If the gulf isn't that warm, the hurricane can weaken as it crosses the not so warm waters, right? Where's Bad@sskow when you need him :P )
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

So as M Moores comment of \"Gods will\", with the weakening of the storm we can now say God is not mad at the Republicans?
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Kyouryuu »

Kiran wrote:They prepared, evacuated, and the storm even weakened instead of getting stronger
About time. I can't think of many other natural disasters that give such an advance warning.

I wonder what will happen with the RNC now that it's mainly the media playing this up as the "storm of the century" when it's nothing more than a glorified wind storm at this point.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Gooberman »

woodchip wrote:So as M Moores comment of "Gods will", with the weakening of the storm we can now say God is not mad at the Republicans?
If the only effect of Gustav is keeping Bush/Cheney out of the convention, then the republicans have this liberals permission to view that as a gift from God. :P
MD-1118
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by MD-1118 »

Kiran wrote:Man, that's awesome it weakened down to a cat. 2. And the great thing about it is that the majority of the people in the south didn't take a chance.
Myself and my family stayed home in the Panhandle. While we didn't/haven't gotten hit with anything spectacularly ginormous, we have been on the receiving end of three days' worth of rain - monsoon proportions, no joke. Still, we do prepare, stock up on food, all that good stuff. We just live a little further inland in a brick house, so all we have to worry about are flooding and tornadoes. Currently our back yard looks like Dagobah. Again, no joke.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Pictures? Most of the time, the photos of current events stir up the most feelings.