Nervous about the VP debate?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Are you nervous about how your candidate will do in the VP debate?

Yes
15%
No
85%

Total votes: 13
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Nervous about the VP debate?

Post by Gooberman »

I'm willing to bet this debate gets higher ratings then all three of the Obama/McCain debates.

On one corner you have Joe Biden -- a good man, a good politition, who has no idea when he should end a sentence. For about a week everyone thought he would be providing the election entertainment.

In the other corner is Sarah Palin, who has given some pretty bad interviews, and has shown she often cannot even connect the question to the the extreamly vague anwser the McCain camp has crammed into her head.
COURIC: Why isn’t it better, Governor Palin, to spend $700 billion helping middle-class families struggling with health care, housing, gas and groceries? … Instead of helping these big financial institutions that played a role in creating this mess?

PALIN: Ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health care reform that is needed to help shore up the economy– Oh, it’s got to be about job creation too. So health care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions.
(please, somebody tell me how that is a liberal media gotcha question)

However, people say these debates are all about defying expectations, and if that is indeed the case then Sarah Palin only has to show up. The bar is set so low for her that she need only demonstrate that she can skip -- pretty tough for Biden to come out a winner in that contest.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

*nervous is probably the wrong word. Worried, un-confident, etc.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

I think if Sarah Palin sticks to her guns, and only talks about what she knows she understands, then she'll be brilliant. I hope she doesn't give in to the temptation we all feel at one time or another (mainly in job interviews and sales) to try to portray ourselves as being more than we are. In her case, in the eyes of the conservatives in this nation, I would say it's not even necessary. We know who and what she is, and she has been accepted on that basis. She has already shown she is a capable leader. What she needs to do is receive a solid education in foreign affairs and other requirements of a VP, and that is the only part that worries me--if she is receiving a lot of right answers instead a solid understanding, it's not going to work.

Pure speculation, because I don't know what's involved in the education process I hear she is working so hard at, but that is my only worry.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

nervous, why would we be nervous? we aren't the ones answering the questions

anxious is word you are looking for.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

I certainly think that Biden underestimates Palin- which he will almost inevitably do. Biden likes the sound of his voice, even if the actual idea behind the string of words doesn't actually exist in fact.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Only thing I worry about is that the McCain handlers think they know how best to present Palin. Palin at this point in time should be allowed to be Palin and not be a robotized caricature of herself.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Woodchip is right. If Palin is allowed to be Palin she will walk all over the carpet they implanted in Biden's forehead.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Judging from the recent Palin interview with Couric, Palin is going to act cute when cornered.

should be fun to watch.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I'm with you Ferno. I have my popcorn all ready to go.
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

I got two bags of popcorn for this one. hehehehe :P
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I have a vomit bag.