Kinda funny

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Kinda funny

Post by Grendel »

that the \"reps\" on this board only write anti-posts on an almost hourly basis (actually it's mostly annoying.) Have yet to see a pro-McCain topic. If you go by who's name is mentioned most the winner clearly is Obama..
ImageImage
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Agreed, the tone of the Republican campaign is about as focused on the opponent as any I've seen in a long time.

From what I gather, it's basically a political strategy born out of a position where the possible benefits of an offensive campaign outweigh the risk of losing voters. Understandable, but annoying nonetheless.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

I think a lot of people have promoted the positive aspects of McCain by showing the contrast between the two candidates. Because it puts Obama in a negative light isn't the fault of the poster it's Obama's fault for being so wrong on the issues! ;)
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I think part of the reason the attacks are prevalent is because everyone has built Obama up so much, far beyond any mortal man, that people feel the need to cut him down to earth. And since Obama has refused to run his campaign against McCain, and Bush instead, it has kinda made McCain’s qualities irrelevant.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Jeff250 »

Foil wrote:From what I gather, it's basically a political strategy born out of a position where the possible benefits of an offensive campaign outweigh the risk of losing voters. Understandable, but annoying nonetheless.
I don't think that a political strategy working well outside the DBB justifies its use inside the DBB. Most of the conservatives and liberals on this board are not stereotypical conservatives and liberals, so it is mistaken to post as though they are. Most posters here don't care how expensive a candidate's clothes are or who carved what letter into whose face or most of the crap that has been posted here lately, nor should they. I think more annoying than the "anti" topics are the completely vacuous topics.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Good thought Jeff. While I don't post a lot here (and just as well) i DO lurk quite a bit for the that very reason. there's a wide cross section of thinking and information here. A lot of good critical thinking. (some not so much) but it's a nice break from the standard media junk that's been so slanted that a \"9% grade\" sign should be posted at the opening of each show. :P (from both sides)
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by AlphaDoG »

Jeff250 wrote:I think more annoying than the "anti" topics are the completely vacuous topics.

Presented by vacuous people waving vacuous flags avoiding vacuous questions.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

Duper wrote:A lot of good critical thinking. (some not so much) but it's a nice break from the standard media junk that's been so slanted that a "9% grade" sign should be posted at the opening of each show. :P (from both sides)
Hey, you shut up! ...

It's 12% grade, get your facts right! :P
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by dissent »

AlphaDoG wrote:Presented by vacuous people waving vacuous flags avoiding vacuous questions.
It's too bad that nature does not abhor a "vacuous" :P
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Hey, I've got a compliment. I thought that John McCain was actually very funny on SNL the other night. He has a good sense of humor. I'm just surprised that he resisted the temptation to kick Tina Fey! :P
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

tunnelcat wrote:Hey, I've got a compliment. I thought that John McCain was actually very funny on SNL the other night. He has a good sense of humor. I'm just surprised that he resisted the temptation to kick Tina Fey! :P
That was frickin'funny, and I loved the Olbermann imitation, too hilarious!
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Dakatsu wrote:
Duper wrote:A lot of good critical thinking. (some not so much) but it's a nice break from the standard media junk that's been so slanted that a "9% grade" sign should be posted at the opening of each show. :P (from both sides)
Hey, you shut up! ...

It's 12% grade, get your facts right! :P
lol. there are 12% grades? o_0 :lol: isn't that a free-fall?
MD-1118
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by MD-1118 »

Duper wrote:lol. there are 12% grades? o_0 :lol: isn't that a free-fall?
Only in a "vacuous". =P

You know, it's a shame none of the third-party candidates won. Say, for instance... Ralph Nader. =D
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Nooo. Ralph Nader is pathetic.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_(slope)

My BBTag skills have failed me... Apparently they went on vacation for my post...

EDIT: Okay... NOW They work! arg...
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Looks like () in url's screw the system up. I use tinyurl.com to work around that.
ImageImage
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_(slope)

Bug in phpBB when linking to a URL with special characters in it, use %28 = ( and %29 = ) to work around it.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Probably not a bug so much as trying to prevent XSS.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by d3jake »

Krom wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_(slope)

Bug in phpBB when linking to a URL with special characters in it, use %28 = ( and %29 = ) to work around it.
Ahh,k.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

Krom wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_(slope)

Good to know. Do you happen to know what character to use in place of a ~ character?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

TechPro wrote:Good to know. Do you happen to know what character to use in place of a ~ character?
%7E is the code for ~, however the tilde is unreserved and shouldn't need to be used unless whatever you are using fails to handle it properly (like phpbb with brackets and parentheses).

Or you could google it and find one of the 'about 745,000' handy code tables on the net like this one: http://i-technica.com/whitestuff/urlencodechart.html :P
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

The ~ is one of the characters that PD currently has trouble with. Someday (we hope) it will get fixed.

Thanks