Sharing our Xmas 2008 story

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Sharing our Xmas 2008 story

Post by Kiran »

As DKnight's Christmas present to me, we went to the local animal shelter last week to get me a cat. I chose an energetic six month old calico and named her Suki after the Avatar series for her adventurous and sweet personality.

We were about to leave when a cat decided to hypnotize DK with her beautiful eyes. He was not going to leave without signing her adoption papers. (He was actually more of a dog person, even I was suprised that he would fall in love with a cat). Kendra is 2 years old and definitely knows she is no longer homeless.

It was challenging at first. They have been infected with Upper Respiratory Infection (tends to spread easily in animal shelters). They gave me antibiotics and the advice that stress is the worst thing to trigger the infection. We did our best to minimize as much stress as possible. Suki and Kendra didn't like each other at first. Now they are happy and healthy and they chase each other around at the most random times. This is the first time I've chosen to adopt a cat (previous cats came to me through my siblings) and it's a really great feeling. :D
TheCope
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheCope »

AHHH!
I bet you will look back and know those were the best christmas presents ever. Kendra has a really nice face.

*edit
I purchased Sydney from the humane society in the spring. I love her.
[12:54] <[RIP]Zaphod> but thx for TRYING to make a dilemma :-P
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

That's a pretty cat. How old is she?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

AAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! Aren't they just sooooooooo cute!
TheCope
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by TheCope »

Kiran wrote:That's a pretty cat. How old is she?
She was 2 when I got her in April. Her arms still have shave marks from work in that photo.
[12:54] <[RIP]Zaphod> but thx for TRYING to make a dilemma :-P
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Congratulations, guys!

We got our two (DeeDee and Cookie) from a shelter, too. Cats are just amazing, you'll love 'em.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Kitty brain entertainment!

Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

So Suki's getting a bit obnoxious over (I think) the less attention I've been giving her in the last serveral day due to the severe cold/virus I just had. She's been caught chewing on electric cords. How can I discourage her from risking herself into electric shock?

*edit* tc, that's a funny video! Thanks for sharing! :D
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Spray water at her everytime she goes near the cords. Cats don't like water. Other than that, you can make a very loud noise with a rolled newspaper.
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

We've had over a dozen cats in my lifetime. None now unfortunately and the one thing that will stop them from chewing the cords is when they actually make it though. :D I've witnessed it first hand.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

You should get one of those 'scat mats' and put it under the cord she likes to chew. They are electrified with a non-lethal, but uncomfortable current of electricity that won't hurt the cat, but still teach her a lesson. You can get these at PetSmart or other pet stores. Great for keeping kitty off of the kitchen counter too.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Rub Paprika on the cord... not so yummy now.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Kiran »

Canuck wrote:Rub Paprika on the cord... not so yummy now.
:lol: I'm almost tempted to use that!!
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

You can wrap the cord in aluminum foil, they don't like that stuff. Or saran wrap (my cats don't like that) You can spray the cord with something non-toxic but bad tasting. You can also re-route your cords so they can't get to them.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

How about wrapping the cord with sticky tape with the sticky side out? Maybe getting stuck whiskers will deter her.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Kilarin wrote:Second Picture
Was Suki trying to hide in that pic? All I see is one leg poking out :)

Getting two cats is a good idea. Especially if they get along. They keep themselves occupied when you're not around. I picked up two sisters, their second birthday is in a few weeks. One is a black Calico, the other a grey/black/white tiger stripe. The oddball thing with these two is the black one doesn't have that much orange on her fur, but wherever it's missing the sister has it. A really awesome pattern.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Canuck »

Kiran wrote:
Canuck wrote:Rub Paprika on the cord... not so yummy now.
:lol: I'm almost tempted to use that!!
Throw down an old towel or blanket on the floor and sprinkle paprika around the area. The feel of it and one taste of it and she probably wont go near it. Had a landlady that had a cat shredding her stairs for years. I showed her that trick and I tell you Harry was wrinkling his face when he was licking his paws to get the paprika off... the shredding stopped too.