Ammunition Accountability Legislation

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Foil wrote:Bet's basic question still stands unanswered - why is this even being considered a Second-Amendment topic?
You (and she) have a very valid point. I haven't addressed the "ammunition registration" issue directly precisely because I have mixed feelings about it. There is nothing inherent in gun or ammo registration that violates the 2nd amendment.

However, I think it has been shown that the government can and will abuse these databases. And if you think that attitude is paranoid, don't even get me STARTED on electronic voting. :)

Seriously though, while I don't think the people behind these kinds of laws are a big organized conspiracy who hope to disarm the citizenry so they can better control them, I DO think that these kinds of laws, once they are on the books, are very, VERY vulnerable to abuse. I'm not actually opposed to gun registration, but I think it needs to be dealt with VERY carefully, and I think we'd probably be better off without it.

Especially when you consider how USELESS it is. Gun registration is primarily useful as an excuse for arresting criminals when you find them carrying unregistered guns. Ammo registration would result in a thriving black market in stolen/unregistered ammo. We can't keep cocaine out of the country, how are we going to keep foreign unregistered bullets out?

And for another negative, owning ammo would now put an honest citizen at major prosecution risk. Would you even notice if someone slipped a few bullets out of your ammo box? And just TRY and prove you weren't involved in a murder when bullets that you purchased are used to shoot someone.

So, yes, I think Bettina is right that this is NOT a direct violation of the 2nd amendment. However, I see it as having very limited benefits for law enforcement, potential negatives for law enforcement, and the potential to be used in the future to abuse the 2nd amendment.

Benefits few, negatives many. Not worth it in my book.
Bettina wrote:I can't believe that some here have argued their point by claiming we have to protect ourselves from our own government in this day and age.
What is it about this day and age that makes you think our government is more trustworthy now than in previous eras?

There are many things going on in our government that I am unhappy about. But nothing worth taking up arms against. Not even close. Yet. When the founding fathers put the 2nd amendment into place, they were putting in a defense against a government that they themselves had designed and were running! They did NOT feel that the USA was a threat to it's people right then, but the wanted to PREVENT it from becoming a threat in the future. That risk is at LEAST as alive and well today as it was back in 1789.

Will Robinson said it well:
Will Robinson wrote:we protect ourselves from the government everyday in part by virtue of the weapons we hold.
Of course, I suppose I'm not really doing my part. I don't own a gun, nor do I WANT to. I DO own a sword (dull) and a pistol crossbow though. Do those count? :)
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Spidey »

Kilarin wrote: Especially when you consider how USELESS it is. Gun registration is primarily useful as an excuse for arresting criminals when you find them carrying unregistered guns.
I do believe it’s already illegal to carry concealed without a license in most states already. (making “registration” a moot point)

And as far as a “conspiracy”, well only if you consider political agendas conspiracies. And since by definition a “conspiracy” is an illegal act, then, no these kinds of things don’t fall into that category.

But you can bet your bottom dollar, the disarmament of the general public is a goal of a hella lot of organized people, they just plan to do it legally, a little at a time.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Spidey wrote:But you can bet your bottom dollar, the disarmament of the general public is a goal of a hella lot of organized people, they just plan to do it legally, a little at a time.
I don't disagree, I just don't think that the people with the agenda are actually thinking about preventing an overthrow of the government.
Drakona
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Drakona »

Kilarin wrote:
Spidey wrote:But you can bet your bottom dollar, the disarmament of the general public is a goal of a hella lot of organized people, they just plan to do it legally, a little at a time.
I don't disagree, I just don't think that the people with the agenda are actually thinking about preventing an overthrow of the government.
Of course not. They're thinking about keeping the government a little safer from the citizens, and the citizens a little safer from each other.

It is some future generation of politicians who will look at a totally defenseless population and realize they can get away with taking away other liberties. Perhaps there's some great emergency, and congress decides to blame Mexican immigrants as a scapegoat, and--for their own reasons--orders them all isolated and executed. An unarmed population might protest with picket-signs and threats of voting differently next election. An armed population could protest with bullets. The hope is that in the second case, the politicians would decide that turning Texas into a war zone is not worth the cost, and the plan would die on the table.

As long as you have guns, you won't need them. As soon as you give them up, you'll need them.

That's not Murphy's Law. That's just plain ol' power politics, same as you might find on any playground. You sieze power first, then you formulate plans based on what you think you can do and what you think the people around you can do.
Drakona
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Drakona »

Bettina wrote:for Drakona to say that it should be legal to purchase/own/use military assault rifles, machine guns, tanks, and other military hardware is nothing short of insanity.
What's insane about it? Serious question.

In writing my previous post, I wound up asking myself what hardware I was comfortable with civilians owning, and as I went down the list of systems, I asked myself, "What would be the worst that could happen if people could own this privately?" In most cases, I found that the answer was, "Not much." I was surprised at myself -- I too have been conditioned to think such a thing is crazy. But upon self-examination, I can find no intellectual basis for that opinion. Out it goes. :)

Just a quick couple examples: Killarin said civilians with air to air missiles made him nervous. Me, too, when I first started thinking about it. The thing is, though, what's a fighter really good for? Shooting down other fighters. At first blush, it might seem like you could use it for other destructive things -- say, downing airliners. The thing is, though, it's a pretty expensive and complicated solution to that problem. The folks who like to down airliners don't use it. I suspect that has as much to do with expense and logistics as legality. No, a fighter with air-to-air missiles is pretty much only good for one thing--opposing an air force. And that's what we're trying to give people the right to do here, right?

Tanks. Tanks can do a lot of damage with that main gun, no doubt; driving down main street with one shouldn't be allowed for the same reason as pointing a drawn gun at people isn't allowed: it's murder on the pavement. ;) Er, I mean, it's a threat. But I don't think it takes much in the way of regulation for people to establish a lack of hostile intent. Keep your tanks several miles outside of city limits, train with them on your own property, coordinate with the authorities when you need to transport them, things of that nature. I think it'd be pretty safe. You might think you could use them to do a lot of damage to society at large, but they're a complicated, overt, and expensive solution to that problem. Will Robinson illustrates a better one. I seriously doubt criminals would use them.

And on and on down the list. The thing about military hardware is that it doesn't exist in a vacuum. Most systems exist to counter and destroy other systems, and are designed to do damage in combat. They're not really designed to do damage to society, and consequently are just plain not the best tool for that job. They're not great for criminal activity, either, because they're so expensive, specialized, and--in particular--overt. I mean, the observation scales right down to assault rifles: the folks who like to make attacks looking for nothing but publicity and body count, in the part of the world where assault rifles are readily and commonly available . . . don't generally use them for that purpose. Because they're not the best tool for the job. They're great for actual combat. Not so much for mass murder.

What other problems could there be? People raising private armies? You can't do that now. It's not the level of weapons involved that would constitute a problem, but the fact that you're raising a private army, loyal to you. Well-equipped organized crime? Organized crime isn't a big problem now. Scaling the available weapons up or down won't change the degree of a problem that it is or isn't, just the selection of tools. You might lose control of military secrets, people might export things they shouldn't? There are rules now to stop individuals and corporations from causing problems on that front; I don't see why they should be particularly ineffective under the new scenario.

I've been thinking about it for a day or two now, and I just can't come up with much. I could only come up with two classes of weapons I was uncomfortable with civilians owning, both for the same reason: weapons that let you harm society directly. The first class is WMDs. Duh. The second is the one that lets you hit high value targets in a way that's hard to see coming or defend against. So, artillery. Certain SAMs. Things of that nature. And even there I'm not totally sure where the line goes. For example, I don't mind civilians with sniper rifles.

My point with the long rambling response is simply this:

You think it'd be bad for civilians to have access to "military assault rifles, machine guns, tanks, and other military hardware." Yeah, I know, it sounds crazy. But humor me. If not publicly, just as an exercise in intellectual honesty: state explicitly, exactly why you think it's crazy.

I'd bet you dollars to donuts you'll find the fear arises from ignorance of what military hardware is and isn't capable of and the ways that exist to handle it safely . . . or a general fear of people capable of opposing the government.

-------------------------------
Foil wrote:As someone still learning about gun issues, I've been semi-following this thread for a while now. Frankly, I'm disappointed by some of the statements on both sides.

From my perspective, the irrational fear surrounding this issue is just insane.

One side is paranoid about stores gladly arming terrorists with missile launchers... and the other side is possibly even more paranoid about government conspiracies to take away their self-defense.
No they aren't. No one has said those things. Seriously, I went back in the thread and looked.

Bettina has expressed a fear of citizens with "assault weapons" committing mass murder and of armor-piercing rounds killing cops. She's not picturing missile launchers. She's not mentioned terrorists. Other folks have talked about degrees of government control and "chipping away at" liberties. People have speculated about the motives of politicians and the historical effects of disarming the population. No one has implied a conspiracy, or indeed a present threat of any sort.

In short, I don't know what you're reacting to, but it's not us.
Foil wrote:Drakona doesn't believe it will help law-enforcement, it's just a poor excuse for government arms tracking... Will Robinson believes it's a way to hinder citizens from purchasing guns... Duper believes it's part of a progressive anti-gun movement...

...are you guys/gal really serious? I never took any of you for conspiracy-theory types before, but that's how it's beginning to look.
Heh. So who you gonna trust? Your own intuition on a topic you don't yet fully get, or the judgement of three folks you normally respect? For all you know, we're right. :twisted:

Seriously, how is any of what you mentioned is conspiracy-theory stuff? I mean, regulation pretty provably increases cost and lowers availability, so what Will said is by definition true to some degree. And if you don't think there's a progressive anti-gun movement, you're reeeeeeeally not paying attention. Because that's not a secret. There are people who openly campaign on that platform.

In my own defense, I don't think ammo registration will meaningfully help law enforcement. I think that's the sort of suggestion that a politician makes to sell a law, and that people find plausible because they don't know anything about guns and don't care enough to give the issue five minutes of critical thought. I mean, seriously. Do we have a major problem with unresolved shootings in this country or something? Has it reached a point where it warrants national attention, where it's worth the creation of national databases and manufacturing regulations to resolve? Have some sense of proportion. I submit that this is a costly, non-effective solution to a small and tolerable problem. It is clearly an excuse for a law. I don't know how it could be clearer.

Look at this thread alone. No one is arguing that ammo registration is a good idea. No one is saying, "Oh yeah, anonymous shootings are a big problem, and the statistics point to ammo registration as being the best solution." No one is arguing for the law at all. All we have are a couple people saying, "What's your problem? You can trust the government in this day and age; I'm sure whoever proposed this did their homework. And anyway, something's a little wrong with you if you care so much about guns. I think they're dangerous, and anyone who wants to try a little something to keep us safer from them is fine by me." That's not someone trying to solve a problem. That's just a simple argument from ignorance, apathy, and credulity.

What do you find unreasonable enough about that opinion to warrant the charge of "conspiracy-theory type" that you've so recklessly leveled at me?
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Centrism
VonVulcan wrote:How local are you talking about?
City.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Drakona wrote:
Foil wrote:One side is paranoid about stores gladly arming terrorists with missile launchers... and the other side is possibly even more paranoid about government conspiracies to take away their self-defense.
No they aren't. No one has said those things. Seriously, I went back in the thread and looked.
No one has implied a conspiracy, or indeed a present threat of any sort.
So quotes like the following aren't inferring a hidden government agenda to use this legislation as a means to remove guns from citizens?

• "...That's not a real problem someone's trying to solve. That's an excuse for a law..."
  • "They've been pushing legislation for years to get at our guns."
  • "...any form of gun registration can and willed be used by politicians to confiscate firearms on what ever pretext they deem suitable."
  • "I think that's the sort of suggestion that a politician makes to sell a law..."

I'd say those describe 'conspiracy' pretty well.
Drakona wrote:Seriously, how is any of what you mentioned conspiracy-theory stuff?
Maybe there's a semantic difference here, but from my perspective, this feels an awful lot like typical conspiracy-theory reaction.

Why? Because with virtually no direct information whatsoever, a group has decided that they somehow know it's categorically "hidden-agenda", "government-planned deception", etc.

I'm not inferring that there are tinfoil hats involved, but the reaction strikes me as very similar to other commonly-held theories about government agendas and cover-ups.

Yes, of course there are active anti-gun groups and legislators out there; I would be an idiot to deny that. But why are people so quick to jump to the conclusion that this legislation must be part of their secret agenda?

-----------

Now, to the perspective I *really* don't understand:
Drakona wrote:I don't think ammo registration will meaningfully help law enforcement.
woodchip wrote:Do you think the new ammunition will in any way reduce crime? No it will not.
I'm no forensics or criminal investigation expert, but given that law enforcement is able to make use of all kinds of tools for helping to match crimes with criminals... why is this particular tool being cast as so useless?

Just as with gun registrations, even in situations when it doesn't prove anything, it's a tool. Again, just as with gun data, ammo data could potentially help direct an investigation. It's an additional piece of information which could potentially be relevant to a given case.

Stating that it's useless (or almost useless) implies a belief that such tools are never (or almost never) helpful for law enforcement cases. Is that really what you guys think?

[Now, I'm sort of anticipating people responding here with counter-examples involving some ingenious criminal using faked ammo registration to "throw off the cops". For anyone considering that tact, I'd ask you to consider whether the same argument would apply against law enforcement use of gun registration data.]

-----------------

P.S. Can we drop the picture of the Oklahoma City bombing? I was only a few miles away at the time, heard/felt the blast, and I'd rather not see any more images of that horrific day.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Foil, as I read the link, there is nothing there about forensics:

\"So they will know how much you buy and what
calibers.\"

Pure informational gathering legislation. You seriously do not see a conspiracy to keep track of every piece of ammunition a citizen buys? Next to come will be legislation to control how much ammo you can buy.
Then we have:

\"They will also charge a .05 cent tax on every
round so every box of ammo you buy will go up at least $2.50 or more!\"

As such my expense comment is valid.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Foil, is it a conspiracy that democrats generally want to raise our taxes and increase government welfare type programs? Or is it their agenda?

So if I mention their intent on the issue am I offering a conspiracy theory or commentary on their agenda?

I know for a fact they have for years expressed their intent to ban and/or severely limit gun ownership. they have tried many different ways to legislate the removal of the citizens right to bear arms and they have tried to use extreme taxation of ammo as one of those tools to achieve that goal as well.
So why try to discredit any mention of their intentions with the conspiracy tag?
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Up until June 26th 2008, the 2nd amendment ITSELF was under attack. The \"antigunners\" that have a huge following lost on there direct frontal attack (no conspiracy there), and started trying to bring about other means of restrictions.
Seems obvious to me that for a very long time, there has been a huge group of people who all agree that we would be better off without firearms here. People need to pull their heads out of the sand and at least recognize that the threat is real.
U.S. Supreme Court Upholds 2nd Amendment Rights

by Cindy Cerquitella on June 26, 2008

in U.S. & Canada

Today, a decision by the United States Supreme Court affirmed the individual right to keep and bear arms for the purpose of self defense. This is an argument that has been a fixture of the American debate for decades, and today, was finally concluded by a 5-4 vote in the case District of Columbia v. Heller. You can read the full decision here.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

woodchip wrote:Pure informational gathering legislation...
Yes, the stated intent of the bill is tracking/information, no argument there.
woodchip wrote:You seriously do not see a conspiracy to keep track of every piece of ammunition a citizen buys?
Next to come will be legislation to control how much ammo you can buy...
Ah, there's where you jumped into conspiracy-theory-ville.

I'm sorry, but unless one has something real to support their case, I can't take inferences about "the real reason behind it" and "the next thing they'll do" seriously.
Will Robinson wrote:Foil, is it a conspiracy that democrats generally want to raise our taxes and increase government welfare type programs? Or is it their agenda?
If you're commenting on a stated agenda, I have no problem with that.

What I'm talking about is the kind of illogic that makes claims of secret agendas in unrelated legislation. E.g. "I know it doesn't affect taxes, but that airline security bill is just a cover for liberals to get at our wallets!"

--------------

If there's truly an anti-Second-Amendment agenda secretly hidden in this ammo registration bill, then I need to see something more than rhetoric to support that claim.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

Kilarin wrote:
Foil wrote:Bet's basic question still stands unanswered - why is this even being considered a Second-Amendment topic?
You (and she) have a very valid point. I haven't addressed the "ammunition registration" issue directly precisely because I have mixed feelings about it. There is nothing inherent in gun or ammo registration that violates the 2nd amendment.

However, I think it has been shown that the government can and will abuse these databases. And if you think that attitude is paranoid, don't even get me STARTED on electronic voting. :)

Seriously though, while I don't think the people behind these kinds of laws are a big organized conspiracy who hope to disarm the citizenry so they can better control them, I DO think that these kinds of laws, once they are on the books, are very, VERY vulnerable to abuse. I'm not actually opposed to gun registration, but I think it needs to be dealt with VERY carefully, and I think we'd probably be better off without it.

Especially when you consider how USELESS it is. Gun registration is primarily useful as an excuse for arresting criminals when you find them carrying unregistered guns. Ammo registration would result in a thriving black market in stolen/unregistered ammo. We can't keep cocaine out of the country, how are we going to keep foreign unregistered bullets out?

And for another negative, owning ammo would now put an honest citizen at major prosecution risk. Would you even notice if someone slipped a few bullets out of your ammo box? And just TRY and prove you weren't involved in a murder when bullets that you purchased are used to shoot someone.

So, yes, I think Bettina is right that this is NOT a direct violation of the 2nd amendment. However, I see it as having very limited benefits for law enforcement, potential negatives for law enforcement, and the potential to be used in the future to abuse the 2nd amendment.

Benefits few, negatives many. Not worth it in my book.
Bettina wrote:I can't believe that some here have argued their point by claiming we have to protect ourselves from our own government in this day and age.
What is it about this day and age that makes you think our government is more trustworthy now than in previous eras?

There are many things going on in our government that I am unhappy about. But nothing worth taking up arms against. Not even close. Yet. When the founding fathers put the 2nd amendment into place, they were putting in a defense against a government that they themselves had designed and were running! They did NOT feel that the USA was a threat to it's people right then, but the wanted to PREVENT it from becoming a threat in the future. That risk is at LEAST as alive and well today as it was back in 1789.

Will Robinson said it well:
Will Robinson wrote:we protect ourselves from the government everyday in part by virtue of the weapons we hold.
Of course, I suppose I'm not really doing my part. I don't own a gun, nor do I WANT to. I DO own a sword (dull) and a pistol crossbow though. Do those count? :)
Thank you for summing up my thoughts on this in a way I wouldn't of been able to formulate clearly myself :P
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Ok.. so maybe people owning TANKS isn't such a good idea.. :P ;)

This was stolen, incidentally, from the local national guard. :roll: Guess they need to put a trigger lock on these things.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Foil wrote:....
What I'm talking about is the kind of illogic that makes claims of secret agendas in unrelated legislation. E.g. "I know it doesn't affect taxes, but that airline security bill is just a cover for liberals to get at our wallets!"...
Well how about if there is no logical reason for the legislation but the net result mirrors previous attempts to tax ammo to the point people can't afford it?
There is a track record to consider where anti-gun congress members have tried to do that and the bill as it stands doesn't really solve any problems as Drakona showed you so just because they don't come out and say it is anti-gun doesn't mean squat to me.

Most toll roads and bridges are set up as temporary tolls to fund the construction, politicians promise they are temporary but the toll booths never go away. Do you think they just forgot to take them down?
Am I conspiracy nut to suggest they started working the toll booth revenue into their projected budgets well beyond the date the booth would have paid the construction cost even though they never stated it was their intention?

I like to think I'm just being realistic and practical to recognize it as what it is and not someone who is dreaming up conspiracy theories that aren't supported by historical events and recognizable modus oporandi.

Governments never deserve the benefit of the doubt.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Duper wrote:Ok.. so maybe people owning TANKS isn't such a good idea.. :P ;)

This was stolen, incidentally, from the local national guard. :roll: Guess they need to put a trigger lock on these things.
No, once again Drakona's logic applies. A tank is expensive and hard to get, a bulldozer is readily available: a poor mans tank
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Drakona wrote: What's insane about it? Serious question...
Fair enough Drakona, serious answer...

Let's put aside the conspiracy theorists that claim we need high powered weapons to protect ourselves from our own government, because that's just plain ridiculous, and go right to my main problem. If civilian ownership of military weapons like assault rifles, machine guns, grenades, armor piercing bullets, small hand held rocket launchers, and other mass killing weapons were legal to own, it would mean that in time, gun cabinets all across america would be stocked with these weapons. To gun owners nothing is better than a new toy and this will be a given for those who can afford them.

When you asked yourself what could possibly be the worst that could happen...and then answered "not much" you failed to realize that just because the gun buyer is considered mentally fit to own it, it doesn't mean that the rest of his/her family is free of physiological problems and that was the first image that came to my mind when I read your post. For example, the primary weapons used in the Columbine school massacre were a carbine rifle and a 9mm semi-automatic which were obtained from their parent's home. Just think of how many students would have been massacred if in that same gun cabinet were the weapons you find comfortable with civilians owning. What will future school shootings and mall massacres be like with weapons like those.

I know some here think I'm naive and maybe I am but schools and malls are where my focus has always been so I'm not changing my opinion of your post. The bottom line is that school/mall shootings will continue and the shooters will use the most powerful weapon they can obtain quickly which in two-thirds of the past cases, those weapons came from the home of a legal gun owner.

Bettina
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

“I'm no forensics or criminal investigation expert, but given that law enforcement is able to make use of all kinds of tools for helping to match crimes with criminals... why is this particular tool being cast as so useless?”

You know Foil…you asked that very question early in the thread, and it was answered…

And just a little swerve…for the hell of it…

Everyone on this board, including the gun haters, may wish they had a firearm if the economy keeps on tanking…only takes a little civil unrest to make you realize just how vunerable you really are, if you don’t own a firearm.

Sure, everything is just fine and dandy during times of calm….When people are acting relativity civil.

Bank robberies are up like 20% directly because of the economy, it’s the banks now, how long do you think it will take before it’s you? (and the bandits are not your typical crack heads)
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Spidey wrote:
Foil wrote:... why is this particular tool being cast as so useless?
You know Foil…you asked that very question early in the thread, and it was answered…
Not really. So far, I've only gotten a single relevant answer. Kilarin said that gun registration data is only used for unregistered-gun arrests, which is an interesting point if it's true. My understanding was that gun registrations are also used in establishing connections between weapons and suspects; is that not the case?

Anyway, the rest of the attempts to answer the question fell into one of these two categories:
  • "It's a secret anti-gun agenda", which I consider nothing more than conspiracy rhetoric.
  • "It can be abused", which is true, but doesn't really answer my question at all.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Will Robinson wrote:
Duper wrote:Ok.. so maybe people owning TANKS isn't such a good idea.. :P ;)

No, once again Drakona's logic applies. A tank is expensive and hard to get, a bulldozer is readily available: a poor mans tank
lol nice find. I wonder what happened. oh well.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Well let me paraphrase my own answer given a few pages back….

Ammo ID’s will not help law enforcement because people are not going to commit crimes with their own ammo/gun.

Like I said, I will steal some of “your” ammo when I intend to kill someone, or rob a bank.

As far as the honest person that commits a crime, such as murder, in the case of a “crime of passion”, well they always get caught anyway.

So you tell me how placing ID’s on ammo will help catch crack heads that are shooting people for their fix, or gang banging, bank robbers etc?

Same basic principal applies to registration.

Basically, Ammo ID, and Gun Registration have nothing to do with law enforcment. So there must be another objective, makes sence…no…yes?
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

As far as I can tell Foil, your the only one talking about conspiracy theories. Whats being pointed out is that there are real attempts being made to take away the right of people to keep arms. I posted just a few back that until last year, the 2nd Amendment itself was being challenged. Washington DC made a law banning firearms. Their argument was that the 2nd amendment only applied to militias and not to an individual. The Supreme Court made up of 5 I think decided an individual had the right to defend themselves. So just last year, the whole fundamental reasoning of that amendment was under debate. What if those 5 people had decided it did only apply to militias?

Therefore it stands to reason, since this case made it all the way to the highest court and concerned 1 of only 10 specific inherent rights, that these are attempts to continue that cause.

Edit: It was 5-4 that decided in favor of the 2nd Amendment ;)
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

flip wrote:As far as I can tell Foil, your the only one talking about conspiracies.
Yep, apparently we have a contradiction of semantics. Somehow, no one calls their belief in hidden agendas and deceptive political movements a "conspiracy". I think the term fits, personally.
flip wrote:Therefore it stands to reason, since this case made it all the way to the highest court and concerned 1 of only 10 specific inherent rights, that these are attempts to continue that cause.
Your logic is that a previous piece of gun-related legislation was anti-2nd-amendment, so the following one must be, too...?

That's the kind of illogic I'm talking about; if you're going to convince me, give me something concrete. Not an argument based on perceptions about 'their agenda'.

-------------------

Just to be clear: Again, I fully support the second amendment, and what it stands for both historically and contemporarily. There have been some very well-made and articulate posts made, and I generally agree with them.

What I'm taking exception to are the unsupported arguments based solely on perceptions (and sometimes even paranoia) about government conspiracies and hidden agendas.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

OK, so literally speaking, if one intends to do something and plans that act in coordination with others it is a conspiracy to commit the act. Just like every piece of legislation ever introduced....

I don't have first hand knowledge of those pieces of legislation but based on news reports and other experiences like police pulling me over telling me the law requires I have a license plate etc. etc. I have formed a theory that these conspiracies are real.....

So, in that sense, yes, we have a theory that the legislation is part of the ongoing conspiracy to make it difficult to own weapons.

I can show you countless examples of their acts and words that support my theory and you can offer what to support the theory that this bill in question is only what they say it is.

Semantics are derailing this discussion.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Foil, once again you dodge my points & questions………

Will

No, a conspiracy by definition must be the planning of an “illegal” act.

1. plan to commit illegal act together: a secret plan or agreement between two or more people to commit an illegal or subversive act
2. making of agreement by conspirators: the making of a secret plan or agreement to commit an illegal or subversive act
3. group of conspirators: a group of people planning or agreeing in secret to commit an illegal or subversive act

Yes semantics, and the deliberate use thereof to avoid the actual topic. (along with skimming and denial)
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Okay, I'm willing to drop the semantics discussion, that's fine.

As I've said, there are things I'm still learning about gun issues, and this thread intrigued me from the beginning. There have been some very insightful posts on the reason we value the second amendment so highly, and some good points about the type and power of weapons among the public. Good stuff.

------

To un-derail (re-rail?) the thread: You know, I was originally on the fence regarding the question about ammo registration, and I was hoping to learn about the subject. However, four pages later, having seen virtually nothing besides \"it must be those anti-gun folks\" rhetoric, I can honestly say I've learned more about common government and gun control fears than the little I've learned about the topic at hand.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Well…*sigh*…you have a habit of coming into a thread and expressing your dissatisfaction, as to how the thread is failing somehow in your eyes. Try a different tactic, instead of joining a thread and starting to call people conspiracy nuts (paraphrase), you might try explaining the value of these proposed laws instead.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Bettina wrote:Let's put aside the conspiracy theorists that claim we need high powered weapons to protect ourselves from our own government, because that's just plain ridiculous,
I note you specifically said high powered weapons. Does this meant that you only think the claim that citizens need to be armed with machine guns/tanks/missiles etc, in order to protect ourselves from the government is ridiculous? In which case I think you have a legitimate argument. I'm not certain if I agree with you, but I feel it is a valid point of view and well worth discussing.

OR, do you mean that you think the very idea that citizens should be allowed to bear weapons of any kind in order to defend ourselves from our own government is ridiculous? In which case I will have to disagree strongly and ask for an explanation of what you think the 2nd amendment was actually about.

I'm pretty certain you meant the first one, but I think clarifying this point could help in the discussion.
Bettina wrote:schools and malls are where my focus has always been
I understand the concern, but let me throw out a few things to think about.

I'm not aware of any school shooting, or mall shooting for that matter, where the monsters involved had any intention of coming out alive. Gun registration and ammo registration would have made no difference to them at all.

And as for reducing the availability of deadly weapons, just about anyone can go down to walmart and purchase a shotgun. Shotguns are VERY dangerous to crowds. Probably more dangerous than machine guns. Any of you gun experts have an opinion on this point?

If the kids who attacked columbine had actually been out to kill the most people, they would have just purchased a propane tank and a fan at walmart and turned the central hallway into a primitive fuel air bomb.

The DEADLIEST weapons are usually available legally for fairly cheap, BUT, they don't generally appeal to the kind of idiots who want to use them. AND, this is what worries me about the idea of releasing missiles to the general public. The kind of idiots who want to go shoot up a crowd are generally not bright enough to realize they could kill more people with simpler weapons than cool looking guns. But they aren't going to have any problem at all realizing they can kill more people with missiles or grenades.

So, I'm still undecided on what kinds of limits we should put on the weaponry the general public can own. In general, I agree with Drakona, but I can certainly see the points from the other side as well.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Hi Kilarin. :)
Kilarin wrote:I note you specifically said high powered weapons. Does this mean that you only think the claim that citizens need to be armed with machine guns/tanks/missiles etc, in order to protect ourselves from the government is ridiculous? In which case I think you have a legitimate argument. I'm not certain if I agree with you, but I feel it is a valid point of view and well worth discussing.
Yes... and I already clarified earlier that I would never vote against your right to bear arms for hunting and personal defense.(For those who think they need them.)
I'm not aware of any school shooting, or mall shooting for that matter, where the monsters involved had any intention of coming out alive. Gun registration and ammo registration would have made no difference to them at all.
Registration had nothing to do with my response to Drakona's post. I was talking about the easy access to stocked gun cabinets of mass killing weapons like machine guns, AK-47's, grenades, or RPG's, etc which are much more lethal than allowed today.
And as for reducing the availability of deadly weapons, just about anyone can go down to walmart and purchase a shotgun. Shotguns are VERY dangerous to crowds. Probably more dangerous than machine guns. Any of you gun experts have an opinion on this point?
If shotguns were that good at killing people why wouldn't soldiers be using them instead of the military style they use now? Also, it would be difficult for a school age child to get pass the paperwork and waiting period to purchase the shotgun. There much easier to get if your dad or grand-parent already has them.
If the kids who attacked columbine had actually been out to kill the most people, they would have just purchased a propane tank and a fan at walmart and turned the central hallway into a primitive fuel air bomb.
In the Columbine massacre the propane tank and fan would have been difficult to carry under the trenchcoats they wore to conceal the weapons. It also would have taken away the satisfaction of facing some of their victims before killing them. They weren't out to blow up a school.
The DEADLIEST weapons are usually available legally for fairly cheap, BUT, they don't generally appeal to the kind of idiots who want to use them. AND, this is what worries me about the idea of releasing missiles to the general public. The kind of idiots who want to go shoot up a crowd are generally not bright enough to realize they could kill more people with simpler weapons than cool looking guns. But they aren't going to have any problem at all realizing they can kill more people with missiles or grenades.

So, I'm still undecided on what kinds of limits we should put on the weaponry the general public can own. In general, I agree with Drakona, but I can certainly see the points from the other side as well.
It would be interesting to know what limits you would be willing to live with. :wink:

Bee
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Spidey »

Bet51987 wrote: If shotguns were that good at killing people why wouldn't soldiers be using them instead of the military style they use now? Also, it would be difficult for a school age child to get pass the paperwork and waiting period to purchase the shotgun. There much easier to get if your dad or grand-parent already has them.
It has to do with Range.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Kilarin is right. The shotgun is the best close combat weapon made. Some of them will put more lead down range in less time than many machine guns.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Hello right back Bettina! :)
Bettina wrote:and I already clarified earlier that I would never vote against your right to bear arms for hunting and personal defense.
Thank you, I just wanted to make certain you did agree that the 2nd amendment was intended to defend the people from the government. I think that eliminates a large portion of the argument.
Bettina wrote:Registration had nothing to do with my response to Drakona's post.
Got it. I'm obviously getting confused since we are discussing three different but connected issues.

1: Is the point of the 2nd amendment to defend the people against their government. (It seems we all agree on this point.)

2: Does weapon and ammo registration threaten the 2nd amendment, and are they useful.

3: What level of weapons should the average citizen be allowed to own.
Bettina wrote:I was talking about the easy access to stocked gun cabinets of mass killing weapons like machine guns, AK-47's, grenades, or RPG's, etc which are much more lethal than allowed today...
If shotguns were that good at killing people why wouldn't soldiers be using them instead of the military style they use now?
Grenades and RPG's could be really bad, I'll grant you. But Shotguns are devastating at close range, as in a school or mall shooting. If the columbine shooters had used shotguns instead of hand guns, the death totals could have been much worse. The military uses machine guns because they want to kill people at a distance. As woodchips link documented, the military DOES use shotguns whenever it is expecting close up fighting.
Bettina wrote:it would be difficult for a school age child to get pass the paperwork and waiting period to purchase the shotgun. There much easier to get if your dad or grand-parent already has them.
Certainly, but it's probably much easier for a school age child to get their hands on a shotgun than on a handgun. I'm not certain about the laws in other states, but in Texas there seem to be fewer restrictions around shotguns and rifles than handguns. Shotguns just don't have the "Glamor" of hand guns, so (thank goodness) they don't generally appeal to the kind of psycho's who want to go around blasting at crowds of people.
Bettina wrote:In the Columbine massacre the propane tank and fan would have been difficult to carry under the trenchcoats they wore to conceal the weapons.
We both deserve a booby prize. :) It appears that the two psychopathic idiots DID try to build and detonate propane bombs. Two of them. They brought them in in duffel bags. Not as powerful as what I was envisioning, and they didn't work. Idiots, thank goodness.

The people smart enough to deliberately turn ordinary legal stuff into lesser weapons of mass destruction are generally too smart to actually do it. With certain devastating exceptions.
Bettina wrote:It also would have taken away the satisfaction of facing some of their victims before killing them. They weren't out to blow up a school.
Well, it appears that they WERE, but only AFTER they got the "satisfaction" power trip of shooting victims personally. So I think you are very right about this. However, I also feel that it supports Drakona's point of view. The Columbine murderers wanted to kill people in person, and handguns are really good for that. Rocket Propelled Grenades are not.
Bettina wrote:It would be interesting to know what limits you would be willing to live with.
I wish I knew! :) I see very valid arguments on both sides. I CERTAINLY support the ownership of handguns and rifles. I doubt if the general availability of machine guns would make much of a difference in public safety at all. Grenades? tanks? missiles? Idunno. I still cringe at the though of idiot teenagers blasting buildings for kicks. BUT, I see Drakona's points.

The deadliest weapon available to the public is the automobile, ESPECIALLY in the hands of teenagers. And yet I don't hear anyone arguing that we should eliminate car ownership. Of course, as an argument for the other side, car registration IS required before you can operate a vehicle on the public roads. :)
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Kilarin wrote:
Bettina wrote:It would be interesting to know what limits you would be willing to live with.
I wish I knew! :)
Well, I think you just did. :) If I bet a thousand dollars on what your decision would have been...I would have been out a thousand dollars.

I presented my case but I feel like a quaker girl at a southern NRA meeting so I'm finished here. Cya in the mines. :wink:

Bettina
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Bettina wrote:Well, I think you just did.
Nope, you're thousand dollars would still be in escrow. Like I said, I'm just not really convinced either way yet. Still listening to both sides.

Perhaps I covered too much of how I see Drakona's side in the last post, so let me expand a bit on how I see your side of the argument: I'm NOT convinced at all that high powered weaponry is NECESSARY for defending the people against their own government. If there are enough of the general population armed with rifles and shotguns who are opposed to the government, then the army, even with tanks and missiles, will not be able to control the people. And if there are fewer people willing to fight than could win under those circumstances, then they shouldn't win.

So really, I AM still on the fence here. I solidly support, as you do, the right of the people to bear arms. I'm not convinced that expanding that into fully automatic weapons would be advantageous, OR that dangerous. I'm NOT comfortable with moving up the next notch to high powered explosives, but recognize that the public already HAS that kind of power, if they wanted to use it.

I see both sides of the higher power weapons argument, your bet isn't safe, but it's not lost yet either. :)
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

Let's not forget the Remington 870.
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by VonVulcan »

Bet51987 wrote:Hi Kilarin. :)
Kilarin wrote:I note you specifically said high powered weapons. Does this mean that you only think the claim that citizens need to be armed with machine guns/tanks/missiles etc, in order to protect ourselves from the government is ridiculous? In which case I think you have a legitimate argument. I'm not certain if I agree with you, but I feel it is a valid point of view and well worth discussing.
Yes... and I already clarified earlier that I would never vote against your right to bear arms for hunting and personal defense.(For those who think they need them.)

Bee
I just went over the entire thread and I'll be darned if I can find any statement where you supported the 2nd amendments purpose of guaranteeing the people the right to keep and bear arms to protect themselves from an oppressive government. Several times you called it ridiculous or insane. Or that anyone who thought this way were a bunch of crazies.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

For the record, I don't feel the thread was ever derailed as all the issues that have been discussed here are closely related.
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

It's the DBB man, sooner or later a thread is gunna get derailed :P
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Bill of Rights wrote: Second Amendment

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Nothing more, nothing less. That's it.

My question is, is it speaking of the individual State's well being or a "free state" in general. I'm talking Original Intent. Not what it Might mean by todays standards.

If the former is the case, (and I think it is) then we have nothing of that nature to date. And thus, we can go back to Drakona's original statment:
Drakona wrote: The second amendment is about the right of the people to raise ad hoc, volunteer armies--that's what a militia used to be--to defend, not the free state, but the free state. It's about people retaining the right to organize and potentially threaten their government. If we were to truly follow in the footsteps of our forefathers, we wouldn't be debating whether civilians could own guns that might have military applications. It would be a given that civilians could own honest-to-God military hardware.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

VonVulcan wrote:
Bet51987 wrote:Hi Kilarin. :)

Bee
I just went over the entire thread and I'll be darned if I can find any statement where you supported the 2nd amendments purpose of guaranteeing the people the right to keep and bear arms to protect themselves from an oppressive government. Several times you called it ridiculous or insane. Or that anyone who thought this way were a bunch of crazies.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
I want to stay out of this thread but I need to answer you..

You're not wrong one bit. I'm sorry I kinda missed what Kilarin meant and when I answered for hunting and personal defense I meant it that way. So I'll say it again. To think that private citizens need to arm themselves or create armed militias to protect themselves from OUR government in this day and age is ridiculous and paranoid. It was justifiable back then but not now.

However, like I said, I would never remove the ammendment for private citizens to bear arms for personal protection, protecting their home, collecting, or hunting.

But our own government? I don't know much about private militias but suppose some formed because they didn't want to pay taxes anymore? what would happen then.

Bee