Random Singing Advice?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Random Singing Advice?

Post by Dakatsu »

So, I can sing very well, I can sustain notes for a long time, and I can sing along to songs with the correct note. I have one small problem - when I sing alone, kinda screwing around, I actually have a 24 interval scale. Like, I have all the normal notes, A-G, sharps and flats, but then I have a perfectly inbetween note, like exactly between A# and B, or right between E and F. Otherwise I sing, in my opinion, quite well (especially from where I began), and I don't screw up any notes (other than those exactly inbetween notes I just talked about). Any idea of how I could just weed them out?
Drakona
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Drakona »

Well, believe it or not, music occasionally has a place for these out-of-tune notes. They're called Quarter Tones or maybe Blue notes, if you're not very precise.

Personally, I think music is learned, like language. What's out of tune in one context is part of the scale in another--it's all a question of what you listen to, and what you're told it means. For example, I have some Bach translated up a quarter tone on my ipod somewhere; it's physically painful for me to listen to, but the person who recorded it simply considered it 'interesting'. Then again, the wailing of an electronic guitar or a singer's vibrato--these are technically out of tune, but I enjoy them because I 'get' what they're saying.

So I guess what I'm saying is, if you want to train your ear, play and listen to good music. You grow fluent in what you practice.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

Drakona wrote:Well, believe it or not, music occasionally has a place for these out-of-tune notes. They're called Quarter Tones or maybe Blue notes, if you're not very precise.

Personally, I think music is learned, like language. What's out of tune in one context is part of the scale in another--it's all a question of what you listen to, and what you're told it means. For example, I have some Bach translated up a quarter tone on my ipod somewhere; it's physically painful for me to listen to, but the person who recorded it simply considered it 'interesting'. Then again, the wailing of an electronic guitar or a singer's vibrato--these are technically out of tune, but I enjoy them because I 'get' what they're saying.

So I guess what I'm saying is, if you want to train your ear, play and listen to good music. You grow fluent in what you practice.
Thanks for the input - I always wondered if the musical scale was built in or if there were different note intervals. I like quarter bends, but it does feel weird listening to quarter note music (I looked some up).

I guess I will just have to try to recognize the quarter notes, so I don't sing them.