It isn't only me that hates the Class 1 Driller!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

It isn't only me that hates the Class 1 Driller!

Post by Dakatsu »

http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com/ho ... t_id=61508

I love his description of that little flying POS! :D
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Haha. Class 1 Drillers: just the ticket to torment the newbies. :twisted:
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

we should ask him to a game of multi.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Even when you aren't a newbie, you still basically have to shoot a homing missile around a corner to take out a class 1 driller without getting hit unless you are in a HUGE room.
Drakona
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Drakona »

Not true. He has to wait to scream before he can shoot, meaning you can win a quick draw at close range.

If you're using vulcan yourself and are very quick on the draw.

Not that I exactly recommend that approach. But it can work.

Edit: Correction following testing: You can beat him in a quick draw with vulcan and take no damage, but you don't have anything like the duration of the scream to do it in. Missiles are generally a lower-risk approach, especially if you can be assured a hit. If you can't, though, or if you're in a hurry or surprised, vulcan vs. vulcan limits the bleeding a little better.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

All of these strategies still assume that you already know where the bastard is, i.e. you've played through the game way too many times. :P Lobbing a missile around a corner to hit the bugger is much harder when you didn't even know he was there to begin with. Of course, there's an easy albeit painful way to find out... ;)
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Zantor »

Ferno wrote:we should ask him to a game of multi.
x2
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yeah, once you know where they are you've already won. If you don't, your best bet is to invoke ESP and guess where the level designer is going to put them (this works more often than you'd think...).

Otherwise, barring save/reload action, just get used to it and learn to duck for cover fast. Once you start seeing drillers, you should also proceed cautiously and start expecting them to show up more; you might not take no damage but you should at least limit the amount you do.

Side note: if you know where a driller is it is usually possible to kill it with lasers without taking damage. Even if it's facing your way. I'll let you figure out how. :)

P.S. A lot of people will probably only need to play through a level once to remember where the drillers are. They are the sort of thing you don't easily forget... while you might not be able to rattle off the spots off the top of your head any more than you could draw the layout of the level after a single fly-through (often many more), the structure surrounding its location can easily serve as a good enough memory trigger to remind you \"hey, I ran into a driller about here\".
D3Alien
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Alien »

I can totally identify with the article. When I was a newbie the drillers always scared the crap out of me. I couldn't even finish level 6 on trainee because the level is filled to the brim with them. Even as an experienced player I still hate the things because they have to be sniped unless they're a ways away. The homing missile is ideal, but sometimes you don't have them available. One laser around the corner often works, but even assuming they haven't moved from their original spot, which is a poor assumption, they don't always stand still and take it, so you've gotta be ready to dive away if they come looking for you.

He's wrong about the D2 afterburner and headlights being useless though, and the D1 proxies for that matter.