E3 creepy! (Project Natal - Let's Meet Milo)

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

E3 creepy! (Project Natal - Let's Meet Milo)

Post by Octopus »

This was on the news. Thought I'd share for those who missed it. Those who've tried it, say it's weird.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

i saw it on Live and to me thats kinda creepy cause think of what all the psycos will do. :|
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

Instead of a hot model or an actress (female) they went with a twelve year old boy... hmmmm... Yeah wtf.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Not really possible yet... at least apart from pre-scripted stuff. Computers aren't so good at pretending to understand what people are saying; interpreting speech into words is one thing, but figuring out how to act on them is entirely another. There have been impressive efforts before, but not THAT good.

Other thing is speech synthesis isn't (I think) that good yet. What you're probably seeing is pre-recorded, pre-animated sequences - and, at best, the computer is guessing which one to take.

Even that aside, the reflection/\"multi-touch\" trick is quite cool and need not be faked.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Only two things got me, but they got me really good: the goggles and the reflection. My hair on my neck actually did stand up when her reflection appeared in the water.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

Natal is cool looking I like the idea of no controler but I wonder how good it is.
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

I already get out of breath using a mouse and keyboard on multilayer games... Now I have to move my whole body!? :P
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

lol :(

That said, obviously you're not going to be playing high-activity games on this for long. Not many would/could play football for 6 hours straight either. But if you just want something different, or don't play very much, then sure...
Drakona
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Drakona »

Heh, they're too in love with the technology. You have to build something cool with it, too. The interface has potential, but seriously . . . if the best they could come up with to demonstrate it was \"you can catch objects\" and \"you can swirl water around\", that's a bad sign. I mean, I already have a pretty high fidelity environment in which I can do that stuff.

Now, when it's letting me use my hand as a gun or grading my handwork and magic word pronounciation before shooting lightning from my fingertips or letting me spontaneously fly by flapping my arms . . . then I might give it more attention.
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Octopus »

Drakona wrote:Heh, they're too in love with the technology. You have to build something cool with it, too. The interface has potential, but seriously . . . if the best they could come up with to demonstrate it was "you can catch objects" and "you can swirl water around", that's a bad sign. I mean, I already have a pretty high fidelity environment in which I can do that stuff.

Now, when it's letting me use my hand as a gun or grading my handwork and magic word pronounciation before shooting lightning from my fingertips or letting me spontaneously fly by flapping my arms . . . then I might give it more attention.
Here's another NATAL vid I found. Not sure if it's real or not but it looks like what you're talking about.