Body Count

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Body Count

Post by woodchip »

Curious, since Obama took office, we have not had the weekly litany of the total numbers of troops killed. while this is good, I reference this as just another aspect of how Beloved Leader is treated as compared to Bush. Why is Cindy Scheehan not picketing the White House. Why is Code Pink not shouting admonishments from the halls of Congress. In short were these war protesters really protesting the war or were they simply tools of the Democratic Pax Machina?
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

We’re still in Iraq?
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Partially still there. Moved out of the cities and now camping out of town.

Woodchip, You forget that the Media will always change topics when they start getting tired of reporting the same thing over and over. The tallies are still there, you're just not reading the right news sources. Having said that let, don't bother asking what sources you should be watching. IMO you post too much incorrect, stretched, paranoia \"news\" ... so I think you need to go looking for that info on your own.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Woodchip, I wish I could be as kind as Techpro but I can't. To use the death of soldiers to advance your Obama hatred is indefensible. I edited the rest of my post to keep Lothar happy but post this at .com and I'll let you know.

Bee
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Ah, but now, unfortunately, I'm hearing the count is going UP in Afghanistan. The news locally doesn't seem to be hiding that one at all.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Yea…Ummm, thanks for the update there teckie. :roll:
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

Bet51987 wrote: To use the death of soldiers to advance your Obama hatred is indefensible.

Bee
but isn't that EXACTLY what the left did with Bush????

Bee you seem to have a double standard.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stroodles »

I've got to agree with Cuda on this one. Sorry Bee
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

If I close one eye, will the double standard go away?
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

Spidey wrote:If I close one eye, will the double standard go away?
no but your cataracs <sp?> might :P
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I haven't seriously watched the news in over a year, sounds like I haven't missed much.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by woodchip »

TechPro wrote:

Woodchip, You forget that the Media will always change topics when they start getting tired of reporting the same thing over and over.
Really? Then explain the Michal Jackson coverage
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by woodchip »

Bet51987 wrote:Woodchip, I wish I could be as kind as Techpro but I can't. To use the death of soldiers to advance your Obama hatred is indefensible. I edited the rest of my post to keep Lothar happy but post this at .com and I'll let you know.

Bee
Your wish is my command
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

It might be there, but not nearly what it was prior to the election. the Media did their best to make Bush look as bad as they could.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Conversely, the same press is trying to make Obama look as good as they can.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Even when he KNOWING lied about the projected effects of the \"stimulus package\".

This dude needs to be impeached.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

I hereby name Duper as the most conservative member on this BB. Sorry TB. :(

With regards to OP, I don't really buy the premise. I still think anyone on the left view new death tolls as a product of Bush bringing us into the war in the first place.

Maybe I can give you that they don't show the numbers because they aren't as interested in hurting Bush now that he is gone...that might be fair. But no one on the left views new death toll #'s as hurting Obama.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re:

Post by fliptw »

Duper wrote:Even when he KNOWING lied about the projected effects of the "stimulus package".

This dude needs to be impeached.
if that's true, the republicans won't do it.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by CUDA »

fliptw wrote:if that's true, the republicans can't do it.
Fixed

― Theodore Roosevelt
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Spidey »

Gooberman wrote:Maybe I can give you that they don't show the numbers because they aren't as interested in hurting Bush now that he is gone...that might be fair. But no one on the left views new death toll #'s as hurting Obama.
Maybe not for the ever forgiving left, but for the rest of us, who remember a certain campaign promise…
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Speaking of Republicans; they did a much better job helping us get through the recession of the 80's (which was far worse than this one) It just didn't have the government power grab.

And Goob, you have No idea. :twisted: and for the record, I don't believe in contrails or lizard people.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by CUDA »

Spidey wrote:
Gooberman wrote:Maybe I can give you that they don't show the numbers because they aren't as interested in hurting Bush now that he is gone...that might be fair. But no one on the left views new death toll #'s as hurting Obama.
Maybe not for the ever forgiving left, but for the rest of us, who remember a certain campaign promise…
Spidey you forgot to cover that one Eye again. :P

― Theodore Roosevelt
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

woodchip wrote:
TechPro wrote:

Woodchip, You forget that the Media will always change topics when they start getting tired of reporting the same thing over and over.
Really? Then explain the Michal Jackson coverage
That's actually quite easy. Nearly all of the media organizations exist to make money by publishing information. To get the public to pay attention to the information they are publishing, the information has to be interesting to the public. People (you and I and your grubby neighbor) are by nature easily distracted by things that are unusual, unexpected, or ripe with scandalous intrigue (gossip). Sad but true. Thus the easiest and fastest way for the media to make money is to present the information they've gathered in either those styles or to find and publish information that meets those characteristics.

Thanks to years and generations of this, it has become that the "News" given us by the media is not actually 'news' but is instead simply "unexpected information" that is unusual, unexpected, or (you guessed it) ripe with scandalous intrigue. Whenever the information is no longer unusual or unexpected, the media moves on to other items because the rest has become expected or no longer unexpected.

Why all the attention to Michael Jackson instead of the many servicemen and innocent civilians that died this past week due to violence in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Iran? Easy. The deaths of those people is not unusual or unexpected anymore ... and Michael Jackson dying got the interest of millions of people.

If you were the media "bean counter" who was considering how many people might show interest in some people dying in the countries (this has been happening over and over and over and over and ...) and comparing how many people might be interested in the "ripe with intrigue" and unexpected death of a mega-star known to millions ... well, I think you can guess that the dollar signs were big in the media's mind when MJ expired.

I'm not saying all that is OK ... just that this is how our "modern media" pays it's bills.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

TechPro, Jackson didn't die last January...but the body count did.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

Will Robinson wrote:TechPro, Jackson didn't die last January...but the body count did.
That's kind of the point. There was a body count back then and there is still a body count. As far as the media is concerned and to the masses hungry for more "unexpected info" ... the body count is "new news, same as the old news" while MJ's death is new "unexpected info" which makes MJ the "hot topic" when people should be mourning the continued body count instead. IMO
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

the REAL point is that media was Obama's T00l
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

TechPro wrote:
Will Robinson wrote:TechPro, Jackson didn't die last January...but the body count did.
That's kind of the point. There was a body count back then and there is still a body count. As far as the media is concerned and to the masses hungry for more "unexpected info" ... the body count is "new news, same as the old news" while MJ's death is new "unexpected info" which makes MJ the "hot topic" when people should be mourning the continued body count instead. IMO
So the media stopped reporting the body count right after Obama took over...but that timing is just a coincidence. The real reason for it was anticipation of the death of Jackson which was to come some five months later?!?
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Stroodles »

TechPro wrote:
Actually, you completely missed the point. MJ didn't die in January, the body count stopped then. I understand that once he dies, that's the new buzz. But it's not as if the media stopped reporting completely and stood outside MJ's house waiting for a tragic accident. They reported as normal, except that there's no body count and they continue to worship Obama.

Oh Darn, Will beat me
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

Gooberman wrote:I still think anyone on the left view new death tolls as a product of Bush bringing us into the war in the first place.

Maybe I can give you that they don't show the numbers because they aren't as interested in hurting Bush now that he is gone...that might be fair.
Exactly. The death toll was never about the soldiers, it was always about Bush.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

And it shows exactly what ghouls they are to use a human beings death to bludgeon a political figure.