D2X-Rebirth Error - Can't use IPX (Kali installed)

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

sarcaz
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

D2X-Rebirth Error - Can't use IPX (Kali installed)

Post by sarcaz »

Hey guys.. if anyone can give me a hand here I'd appreciate it.

In D2 I get an error that says there is no IPX installed. I'm running Vista x64 with Kali open and connected to a chat channel. I tried this but it doesn't help:

http://warthan.org/article_ipx_spx_vista_x64/index.html

NWLink IPX shows up in my installed network protocols now.

Thanks in advance!
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

I thought rebirth/d2x support netplay over TCP/IP?
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

No reason to install Netware IPX if you have KALI, you just have to make a custom link to the game and not use the Default built in D1/D2 links in kali

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

fliptw wrote:I thought rebirth/d2x support netplay over TCP/IP?
Yup, but/and what Bubba said.

Zico and Karx are working on cross compatability for UDP games. (or starting discussions)
sarcaz
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by sarcaz »

OK cool. How then do I get D2X-Rebirth to recognize the IPX functionality that Kali provides? Do I need the link for command-line switches? If so, which would I use? I have just been double-clicking the d2x-rebirth exe.
I feel like I'm missing something here.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

In Kali, you simply click on the game icon below and go to the multiplayer menu in the game itself. Choose \"join IPX game\" and any games going should be listed there. Or you can host an IPX game.

There is a way to so create/join a game via a \"lobby\" but it's rarely used any more and quite unnecessary.
sarcaz
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by sarcaz »

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, the error is when I click \"join IPX game.\" It's as if I have no IPX support on my PC whatsoever. At the time I open D2, I am in Kali connected to a server and in the Descent channel.

I'll try using the button at the bottom of Kali but I suspect it makes no difference.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Personally, I've always had to install IPX on XP to get Kali to work. I ran into the same trouble you're having. I know you aren't Supposed to have to install it, but in this case for some reason you do.

*shrug*

You can always turn it off later if you want.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Except for the ORIGINAL DescentR.exe and Descent2.exe you must always create a custom game launch icon in KALI from the game bar

As Easy as 1.... 2..... 3......

Image Image Image

REMEMBER \"ADD CUSTOM GAME\" - You have been warned

I have my icons too sorry.....
sarcaz
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by sarcaz »

OK cool.. seems like using those buttons fixed me up. Strange. I also added my CUSTOM game button. Now if only people were actually playing. Thanks!!
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Zantor »

Duper wrote:Personally, I've always had to install IPX on XP to get Kali to work. I ran into the same trouble you're having. I know you aren't Supposed to have to install it, but in this case for some reason you do.

*shrug*

You can always turn it off later if you want.
To my knowledge, KALI uses the IPX networking layer in Windows for the IPX packet stuff. This might explain why you have to install IPX to get it to work.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

Zantor wrote:To my knowledge, KALI uses the IPX networking layer in Windows for the IPX packet stuff. This might explain why you have to install IPX to get it to work.
Kali Has it's own stack integrated into the application since version 2.x

The only reason you need to install IPX is if you are playing on a LAN........but not for KALI

I really do not know how many times I have to say this... :(

Do you have KALI?.... if not stop guessing and stop skimming :P
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I've heard that before Bubba, and while it might be true for some or many, it is NOT the case for me; I've tried and had to install IPX. ... not that it matters much as i seldom play on line any more.