D2 Menu Text Skewed

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Tigeron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

D2 Menu Text Skewed

Post by Tigeron »

I installed D2 on a friends computer and found the D2 menu text unreadable. It seems like the first character of each line is repeated like so:

For Trainee: TTTTTTTTTTT
For Rookie: RRRRRRRRRR

and etc. This happens on all D2 menu screens. The text is also skewed very much to the left and in between the lines are some smears the same color as the text.

The message text within the game is fine as is the text in the level introductory robot screens. The game plays fine and the help menu and guide bot text are just fine.

I came across this problem years ago but cannot for the life of me remember what the cause was.

I then installed a version of D2X-W32 which I have used for years without any problems which also brought the D2 version up to 1.2. same problem with D2X.

The only thing that I can think of is a video problem with his on board video control. The system is an HP with 64 meg of video ram on the mother board and running Windows XP. It seems to support open GL and I believe I use to run D2 years ago with a lot less video ram. No other problems are noted with his computer and the speed is over 1 ghz. Any help at all would be most appreciated.

You can post a message here or send me email at tigeron1@hotmail.com

Thanks bunchies

Ron (Tigeron)
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Try this link for help

viewtopic.php?t=8978
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Since your system specs are pretty low end, I would suggest DXX-Rebirth instead of D2X-XL which has a lot of features meant for higher end systems and wouldn't run as well on your system.

You can download DXX-Rebirth here: http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/

Installation instructions are in the text file, I highly recommend you install DXX-Rebirth in a separate folder from your original D2 folder and just copy the needed files over rather than installing into the same folder.

Try DXX-Rebirth first and see if it clears up your problem, if not we will keep working on it.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

It is possible that the video driver is out of date. See if you can find a newer one.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re: D2 Menu Text Skewed

Post by BUBBALOU »

Tigeron wrote:I then installed a version of D2X-W32 which I have used for years without any problems which also brought the D2 version up to 1.2. same problem with D2X.
Obviously, I am the only one who noticed this by the replies above

NOTE: D2X-W32 does not include a 1.2 update...... :roll:

---------------------------------------------------

1 - D2W-W32 - delete it the program is over 5 years old

2 - Delete all pilot and savegame files (since they are now corrupted)

3 ** - Running 1.1> download and install 1.2 Patch or better yet install Vertigo (contains 1.2 patch and extra texture files/level sets)

**** Better yet do a fresh install of Descent 2 then patch to 1.2 so you can avoid frustration caused by corrupted files

4 - Make a copy of your clean DESCENT2 directory and rename it D2X (do not install anything into your Original DESCENT2 folder other than Official Interplay updates in this folder - ** it's your backup)

5 - Use Rebirth and install it in D2X folder (better playing experience)

----------------------------------------------------

Basically you have a FUBAR'd install - I wouldn't rule out Video Drivers but until you fix your DESCENT install I wouldn't even venture down that path.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: D2 Menu Text Skewed

Post by Duper »

BUBBALOU wrote:**valid blah blah blah**

Basically you have a FUBAR'd install - I wouldn't rule out Video Drivers but until you fix your DESCENT install I wouldn't even venture down that path.
Yup, it's toast. I had this happen a while back and you have to reinstall the game fresh. Do not save your pilot or saved games. And NO, updating drivers will not help.

Sorry. :\\
Tigeron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tigeron »

Thank you all for posting a reply so fast.

when I read the post that mentioned the Vertigo disk,
I remembered the installation procedure I used.

I used the original D2 disk and during installation I accidentally selected the Verge drivers. I went back and deleted the D2 directory and installed again, selecting no for the Verge drivers. I then used the Vertigo disk and installed it.

I don't at this time remember what the D2 menu looked like. when I started the game, the game was in a small square in the lower left corner of the screen.

I quite D2 and copied the D2X-W32 files to the D2 directory and started the game. It is at this point that I noticed that the Ver was a 1.2. It had been so long since I have had to do an install I just incorrectly assumed that D2X had raised the rev. But searching my memory after reading the post I do recall that installing Vertigo raises the ver to 1.2. At this time, I can say for sure that I noticed the skewing of the D2 menus.

I started the game again and all I could get was a windowed display. The next day I went back to my friends home and copied all my files in the D2 directory from my XP D2 directory (which works just fine on my computer) and rewrote over all files in my friends D2 directory.

I started the game again noticing that the D2 menus were still skewed but everything in a game level looks great and works as it should and full screen as that is how I have mine set up.

It will be Friday before I can get back to my friends home. But I will completely remove D2 and search for any trace of Verge video drivers which might also be causing a problem.

You all seem to agree on one thing....corrupt files. I do have a backup D2 disk that I made some time ago and will try that one instead of the original D2 disk. I also have a separate patch to raise the ver to 1.2. It is possible I suppose that the patch on the Vertigo disk could be corrupted. Them D2 disks are quite old now so I guess anything is possible.

I do not want to go to Rebirth unless there is no other choice. I spent $500.00 and 1 1/2 years getting 3D video stereo working in D2 and have no desire to starting experimenting again. I work 7 days and have not very much time at all. At least for the next 14 months when I retire (I hope).

If I run into the same problem again, I will tell my friend that he has to get a good video card, which will be an Nvida. It has its own video stereo drivers. I use the Gammer and it works like a champ.

I will let you all know how I come out on Friday.

Thanks again

Ron (Tigeron)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

If you're still using 1.3.34 like I recall, I don't remember any such problems with that version, no. (Also, it definitely doesn't have any higher-end features to switch off. :lol:) If descent2.exe even starts - it obviously won't have sound or joystick support but it might let you reach the menu - you may be able to use that to check whether the problem recurs there, though.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

Tigeron wrote:I installed D2 on a friends computer and found the D2 menu text unreadable.
Tigeron wrote: I spent $500.00 and 1 1/2 years getting 3D video stereo working in D2 and have no desire to starting experimenting again.
How generous you are, you spent 500.00 on your friends integrated videocard on his existing motherboard.....

makes absolute sense... NOT
---------------------------------------------------

This is starting to sound like an advertisement

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

with W32, yeah, it's glitchy as hell. You have to jump through some serious hoops to get some vid to run on it.

Neither of the two descent mods have that trouble and it's no more trouble than installing the game itself.

Incidentally, http://www.gog.com is selling any of the Descents for 6 bucks. Go get a new copy.

\"Descent the Definitive Collection\" (D1,D2, and Vertigo Add-on) = $6.00 (US Dollars)

Descent 3 and Mercenaries Bundled = $6.00 (US Dollars)
Tigeron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tigeron »

Sirius: You have a very good memory and yes that is the version of D2x that I am still using and with no problems.

Duper: The version that I use is not glitchy at all and has worked fine for me for several years. This version does not need a high end system.

BUBBALOU: \"How generous you are, you spent 500.00 on your friends integrated videocard on his existing motherboard.....

makes absolute sense... NOT\"

Now where did I say that I did that on my friends computer? I spent the effort and time on my computer several years ago. Please read what I post before you reply.

I installed D2 again and the menu system is fine with the factory install. It seems the problem with the menu text is after I install D2X. So now I really think it is a video problem with his on-board video.

If he likes D2 then he will put a video card in place on the on-board video and that should solve the problem.

I do appreciate all the good input that I have received. Will let you all know when the problem is finally solved.

Have a great day and happy flying

Tigeron