Texting while driving

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Texting while driving

Post by Bet51987 »

This is a public service video about the dangers of texting while driving. If you have kids that drive it may be helpful to have them watch it. The video is graphic...

Bee
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Seen it! Example of government stepping on my rights to be distracted whilst driving.

Actually, this video WILL save lives, IMO.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

It would have been cool if one of their heads popped open like a watermelon. While another screams, \"where's my arm?\" Good video tho.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Most of the accidents I have avoided recently are young kids texting while driving. Followed by a-hole drivers from the City and tourists second, with wildlife third.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

This brings to mind a fairly recent article I saw - actually it was covered by a number of news sites, but here's one example:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/28/techn ... xting.html

The figure may be less for car drivers, but still, 23 is a very big number.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Canuck wrote:Most of the accidents I have avoided recently are young kids texting while driving. Followed by a-hole drivers from the City and tourists second, with wildlife third.
I'll give you my 18 wheeler loaded with bricks and a car plow.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Loss of license, and maybe a couple of nights in the pokey, might cure some of these poor demented fools.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Saw this... was a good thing to show to high schoolers IMHO.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Do any of you remember the old driver's education scare films they used to show? These were films that showed real accident scenes and the aftermath carnage, uncensored and graphic. 'Signal 30' and 'Highway of Agony' are a couple that come to mind. I had to watch the 1959 movie 'Signal 30' in high school driving class. Old, cheesy and nasty! Part 1 if you dare.

Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

I don't text or talk while I drive if I can help it. It's saved me numerous times to not be distracted by my phone, but it's pissed me off when some slow poke or inattentive idiot cuts me off because they're on the phone. If they do that, I honk the horn, and in my mom's Accord, it's a nice, loud BEEP!
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Spaceboy »

That video is a worst case scenario where everyone is an idiot.
Reminds me of a gametype in burnout revenge where dozens of AI cars run into the same obstacle over and over as if they don't see it.

These scare ads really apply to any driving distraction, really.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

What about use of MP3 players?
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

MP3 players? In a number of states and areas it is illegal to drive while listening to music (or other stuff) through headphones or ear buds. It varies from state to state so check your local laws.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Must be the same for amplfied music WITHOUT ear buds or headphones. If you can't hear the traffic conditions around you, you're essentially deaf to something that could alert you to danger.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

I did not say headphones, I said mp3 players. If you look down to change the track someone might wrongly interpret that as texting.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Unless you have to spend more than a couple seconds to do that, it's no different than changing radio stations and doesn't really hold your attention.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

Top Wop wrote:I did not say headphones, I said mp3 players. If you look down to change the track someone might wrongly interpret that as texting.
Doesn't matter. It's the headphones or ear buds that may not be allowed in your area. Changing the track on your MP3 player is no different than changing the radio station. If your MP3 player is playing through ear buds or headphones ... then it may be illegal. If the MP3 player is playing over the speakers in your vehicle ... then it's only illegal if the volume violates a noise ordinance.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by AlphaDoG »

TechPro wrote:
Top Wop wrote:I did not say headphones, I said mp3 players. If you look down to change the track someone might wrongly interpret that as texting.
Doesn't matter. It's the headphones or ear buds that may not be allowed in your area. Changing the track on your MP3 player is no different than changing the radio station. If your MP3 player is playing through ear buds or headphones ... then it may be illegal. If the MP3 player is playing over the speakers in your vehicle ... then it's only illegal if the volume violates a noise ordinance.
This makes no sense, if you can't hear traffic conditions, you can't hear traffic conditions. Irregardless if you are listening via headphones, earbuds, 16" subs, what difference is it?

Personally I listen to talk radio, at a reasonable volume, I don't text or use a cell while driving, and I expect people in my car to be at a reasonable volume. It takes eyes, ears, and yes, touch to properly "drive" a motor vehicle.

I've been driving for 40 years + now with NO accidents.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

You're right. It doesn't make sense, but that's the way the road laws are. Having your music too loud to hear the traffic conditions is not against the law (it's OK, AFAIK).

Here's your chance to get the laws changed. Can't wait to find out how many people complain about it taking away their rights to go deaf. :D
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

ImageImage
Ezri
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ezri »

Texting while driving just got banned (on like August 28, 2009) in the State of Missouri for people under the age of 21 (if your 21 or over, you can do it, which is gay, since those people are the ones who get in car crashes because of it because they are old and don't know how to text right).
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

Ezri wrote:Texting while driving just got banned (on like August 28, 2009) in the State of Missouri for people under the age of 21 (if your 21 or over, you can do it, which is gay, since those people are the ones who get in car crashes because of it because they are old and don't know how to text right).
So you're under 21 and think you "know how to text right"? Stay off of the highways in my neighborhood. I don't want to be dodging your lamebrain driving.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

HAHA TechPro you're such a jerk. :wink:
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Thank you, thank you very much. :lol:
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Those \"old\" people don't text while driving, if they have a cell phone at all. And the 20-30 age group have been using cell phones longer than you have.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

The only way I know how to text is…to think about it while I’m doing it. (and perhaps look at the phone at the same time) I’m pretty sure it’s the same for all ages.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Don't text and drive, mmmkay?

DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

The only place where texting isn't outright stupid is waiting at the traffic lights, and even there you'd better be expecting some toots from behind. :mrgreen:
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by d3jake »

TechPro wrote:So you're under 21 and think you "know how to text right"? Stay off of the highways in my neighborhood. I don't want to be dodging your lamebrain driving.
loi, agreed. The fact that he uses 'gay' to describe something that is non-biological doesn't help either.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

The state of Missouri recently passed legislation raising the penalties for texting while driving. If you are under the age of 21 and caught texting on the road, it's the same as a DUI.