Laptop for a 6 year old

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Laptop for a 6 year old

Post by Dedman »

This is for any of you parents of young kids out there.

My daughter just started 1st grade. Her teacher is assigning some work on the web (kids learning sites and the like). I think it's time to get her a laptop.

I've looked on Dell's site and found some likely candidates. However, I'm curious to know if any of you have done the same, what you got, and how you liked the results.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

My co-worker got her 6 year old one of those Asus Eee PC's recently. It seemed like a solid little computer.
Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Insurrectionist »

I got my son one of those Asus Eee PC’s very nice but my old eyes have a hard time seeing the little screen. Works well, was worth the couple hundred dollars.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I agree with the Netbook recommendations, they are small, easy to pack in a backpack or whatever case, and lightweight. Also depending on which one you get they can have 6-8 hour runtimes on battery, definitely handy for someone hauling it to school everyday.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

6 years old?

they'll learns soon enough. stay with coloring books and bed times stories. ;)

Seriously though, I would question the motivation behind this bit of home work.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Duper, I don't know if you have children or not but kids are starting to learn how to use computers in pre-K (about 4 years old). 6 is more than old enough.

The motivation for this type of homework is extremely simple. It costs the school less than printing all those copies of homework onto paper.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Toshiba netbooks have the ability to turn off the HD when it detects vibrations. That might give it a few extra years in a six year old's hands.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by AlphaDoG »

Dedman wrote:Duper, I don't know if you have children or not but kids are starting to learn how to use computers in pre-K (about 4 years old). 6 is more than old enough.

The motivation for this type of homework is extremely simple. It costs the school less than printing all those copies of homework onto paper.
They are also learning to "Sext" at earlier and earlier ages.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Dedman »

AlphaDoG wrote:
Dedman wrote:Duper, I don't know if you have children or not but kids are starting to learn how to use computers in pre-K (about 4 years old). 6 is more than old enough.

They are also learning to "Sext" at earlier and earlier ages.
You're right. That's what parental supervision is for.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Yes dedman, Ihave kids. I have grandkids. and \"parental supervision\" only goes so far as any parent can tell you.

I don't care what \"they are doing\". It's too young. THAT is MY parental supervision. AVIOD prblems, not navigate one. \"everyone is doing it\" is a horrible premise for allowing ny thing. Kids will learn about the internet and such just fine as they age, but we don't need to practice them or give them access to it.

Kids learn about killing and murder via tv, why not give them guns at 6? poor example, but the same reasoning.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I have to respectfully disagree with you Duper. 1st grade is not too young to learn how to use a computer. She reads and gets read to. This laptop is not going to be used as an electronic baby sitter. She will use it in our presence or not at all. It is simply a too to enrich her learning.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Understood. :)

besides, this isn't E&C.

For beginner electronics I would recommend Vtech. They're products have gotten very nice. Both in user friendliness and learning function.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Check out Edubuntu!
Ubuntu is used in primary and secondary schools around the world. It is an excellent education tool. Edubuntu is a officially supported derivative of Ubuntu that is customised for Education use.
This is an ubuntu distro.
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatIsUbuntu/edubuntu
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

Dedman wrote:1st grade is not too young to learn how to use a computer. She reads and gets read to.
I agree with Dedman. 1st grade is not too young. Every one of my children (there are four) have been allowed to begin using computers well before they were even in kindergarten. In pre-school they were usually way ahead in using the computers used in those classes.

The guidelines are:
1. Always supervise what your children do on the computer. If you're not involved in what they are doing, then any problems will be your fault.
2. Always manage what programs/games/stuff is allowed for your child to access on the computer. This allows you to ensure that what they do on the computer is worthwhile and encourages their learning. If you're not involved in what they are doing, then any problems will be your fault.
3. Limit the amount of time your child spends on the computer (duh). Two hours a day is usually plenty (if not too much, your choice). If you're not involved in what they are doing, then any problems will be your fault.
4. Be involved in what your child is interested in. If you share interest in what they are interested in, that will strengthen and bolster their learning. If you're not involved in what they are doing, then any problems will be your fault.

See a pattern here?
SirSamII
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SirSamII »

My 7 month old types status messages to me all the time on facebook. With mommys supervision of course.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

So, did you ever pick out a cool NetBook or Laptop?