Web Site Monitoring??

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Web Site Monitoring??

Post by Cuda68 »

I work for an analytic company doing tier two support on the backend and we maintain/host a number of sites. The basic outline would be Apache web server, flash driven content on top of a grid attached to an sql or oracle data base. Uses JAR to run the auth server and workers. It also is set for 64 max connections concurrent. Blasted thing goes down and it almost always catches us with are britches down. It would be much better that we catch it and notify the client, than the client notifying us of the outage. They can get so pissy :lol:
So what I am looking for (does not need to be free - prefer it wasn't so we can purchase support) is monitoring software that will watch all this at the same time or cycle through it and alert us.

Do any of you have suggestions or experience using any of the thousands that are out there?
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

Two words: Google Analytics.
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

well duh never would have thought of that - guess I Should have known better than to ask a question here...sorry to bother every one.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

I'm not sure what gave you the impression that people do not want to help. Things can be a little slow around here, especially with the laggy site.

The closest thing I can think of is Google Analytics. I do not know of any other monitoring or tracking services that would meet your need.
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Cuda68 »

Zantor wrote:I'm not sure what gave you the impression that people do not want to help. Things can be a little slow around here, especially with the laggy site.

The closest thing I can think of is Google Analytics. I do not know of any other monitoring or tracking services that would meet your need.
heh - I thought you meant to google the word analytics and see what pops up :P

Looks interesting but my needs are much greater. I need to monitor services, memory usage so on and so forth on about 300 boxes.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

Ive only seen it through a consumer standpoint but what about cPanel?
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

Thats more of a server management utility. I am looking for server monitoring, but detailed monitoring of specific services. It's area's of the application itself I would like to monitor.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

It sounds like something you'd write a batch file for to have data pulled into the command line.
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

Yea, I have been thinking the same thing only in Perl. It could check the service and if its not there have it send a high priority email to me. We do have send mail setup on these boxes already for notification of failed jobs.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

We use MRTG at work. I'm not sure it fits the scope of what you are looking for though. Good luck!
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Netmon has some nice stuff, its more for a network rather than just one server. I've not used any of it personally but I've heard good things about them.

http://www.netmon.ca/
--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com