Soooo Windows 7...which version?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Soooo Windows 7...which version?

Post by ReadyMan »

I'm still happy with XP (except for the 3gb RAM limit, I'm running 6gb now, but get no benefit from it...and am still in 32 bit mode).

However, Win 7 is likely the OS I'll install when I have to do a reformat, or when the value of 64bit and 3+gb ram is necessary.
Which version should I get? Bubba mentioned in Ace's build thread about XP mode being only in ultimate and in Professional. Is that the only real difference that stands out from the home version to the Pro/Ultimate versions?

I'm basically only using the system for office work (word and excell), gaming, and web surfing.

Thanks!

RM
Fighting villains is what I do!
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

the 3GB limit is not OS Based its hardware based. just FYI. you need a 64bit System for anything over 3.2 GB
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

If he was able to install all 6 GB and BIOS recognizes it, then he is hitting the software limit, if on the other hand BIOS doesn't recognize more than 3 GB he is running into a hardware limit.

Ready: I am using an OEM copy of Windows 7 Professional. Ultimate has a few more features but honestly the only thing I wanted that even required Professional was XP mode, otherwise I likely would have gone with Home Premium.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

did not know that Krom, i thought 32Bit addressing could only hardware support 3.2 GB?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

The hardware limit on any given system is the maximum size of an installed memory module times the number of modules you can fit in the system. Its true that 32 bit processor can't support larger than 4 GB even if the motherboard does, but there hasn't been an actively shipping 32 bit processor on the market for years now.

Most Core i7 / Phenom II systems these days should support 4 GB DIMMs. My Core 2 / 975X chipset supports a maximum of 2 GB DIMMs x 4 slots = 8 GB. So even though you can buy a 4 GB DDR2 DIMM, it would be useless in my system because of the motherboard/chipset.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Home Premium isn't really that bad, and most people who aren't doing ... anything techy will probably find that it does the job just fine. I think the most likely reasons you might want Professional instead would be:

* You want XP Mode
* You have a dual-CPU system (not just dual-core, two actual CPUs in distinct sockets)
* You have more than 16 GB of RAM, or plan to get more than that
* You need to join a network domain
* You want to remotely access your machine using Remote Desktop (of course there are alternatives to this that will work on the Home version anyway)
* You want to use some kind of hard drive encryption
* You want to be able to back up to another computer in the network (attached external hard drives will still work with Home Premium)

I think those are the only ones that anybody halfway normal is likely to need. Most are geared towards high-end or business users anyway.
SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by SirWinner »

I have heard a lot of good things about \"Windows 7\"... but didn't we hear a lot of good things about \"Windows Vista\" too?

Would like to see it first hand and play with it before either: (1) buying a copy and installing it on a hard drive for the existing PC; or (2) buying a New PC with it already loaded on it.

Will have to play with it soon as the software that we write will have to be supported on Windows 7.

Let's hope that Microsoft learned from the ERRORS in \"Windows Vista\"!
- For instance, the \"are you really really really sure?\" type of messages in Windows Vista!

Those are extremely annoying.. then add in the fact they MOVED all the common Control Panel stuff to different places in Vista!

:roll:
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Windows 7 and Windows Vista share a lot since Vista is 6.0 and 7 is actually 6.1. The control panel is pretty much the same as Windows Vista, a confusing complicated mess designed to be easier for complete idiots while somehow managing to split everything up and make it that much harder to access for anyone who knew what they were doing in XP.

UAC has improved a little compared to the Vista implementation, you can get rid of most of the \"are you really really really sure\" prompts in most cases by taking ownership of all the files/folders on your drive (doesn't work if there are multiple users on the computer though). It also defaults to not prompting when you change windows settings anymore. And if it is too annoying anyway there is a simple control slider that can turn off UAC completely.

SW, if you really wanted to try it out, you should have used the Windows 7 RC version, it was free for download works until June 2010 and has identical features to the final version (although the final does run a bit better).
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Why does Microsoft always release watered-down versions of their flagship OS and charge an arm and a lung for the flagship one? =P Why do people put up with that? :P

User Account Control is the bomb, don't turn it off. :D

It's not annoying. :P

I wonder what Ultimate has that Pro doesn't...
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Because nobody needs the \"flagship\" one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Why skimp?

VHD is my attraction

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Well, if you want to do that, by all means! I'm just not sure how practical that would be for most people. I guess maybe it's a way to dual-boot without messing around with multiple partitions though.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Ding!

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I recommend The WHOPPER version.

Man.. and I thought WE were weird here... :lol:
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Win 7 Home Premium x64. Been running it for nearly 3 months now. Zero compatibility problems, even my 5 year old HP Inkjet printer has x64 drivers. UAC is still pretty much the UAC. I was naughty and turned it off.

If you'd like to save some cash and you still need XP for some reason, consider downloading Sun's VirtualBox. If you already own a copy of XP that you aren't using, you can install it in there freebie cheapie. http://www.virtualbox.org/

If you have problems finding what you are looking for in Win7, hit the Windows key and start typing. Start menu turns into a little search box that displays your results.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

You know, if the wiki info Sirius posted leaves a person unsure which Win7 version would be the right for them ... CNet has a nice review: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31012_7-10 ... 55804.html

And then, for a good understanding of how to get around in Win7 and make good use of it, LifeHacker's Complete Guide to Windows 7 is at least a good starting point. http://lifehacker.com/5386953/lifehacke ... -windows-7

Those who like using the keyboard instead of the mouse, TechRepublic's 100 keyboard shortcuts for moving faster in Windows 7 should be useful: http://downloads.techrepublic.com.com/a ... id=1160059
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

I bought Windows 7 Professional from Digital River:
http://windows7.digitalriver.com

You can get it for $30 if you have a .edu email address.

I'm running it on my Thinkpad T61p, was previously running XP Pro.

I tried Vista when it first came out, hated it, tried it once again when I got the Thinkpad a little over a year ago, still hated it.

7 is a bit more refined, I haven't had any issues.
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Get the highest version, that’s within your budget.

I got XP Pro when I bought my last machine, didn’t have to have it, but never regretted it either.
TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

If all your concerned with is having \"XP Mode\", then just Download Microsoft \"Vitural PC\" and load XP into it.

I have XP 64-bit edition, but also have Vitural PC with Win98SE loaded (For old DOS games).

Works pretty good.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

the family pack seems interesting.