DLE-XP questions and answers

Read and write DLE-XP bug reports, suggestions and general discussion here. Home Page

Moderator: Aus-RED-5

Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Probably unimplemented settings from D1.
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

Can you explain the Advanced Object Data editor?
----------------------------------------------------
Warning: For expert users only - use at your own risk!

mass: 262144
drag: 2162
brakes: 0
turn roll: 0
flags: 75
size: 310325
shield: 6553600

XYZ

velocity:
thrust:
rotation velocity:
rotation thrust:
model/clip: 43
frame: --
frame no.: --
----------------------------------------------------

These items were for the player ship.

How does 6553600 translate into 100 shields?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

It's because there is some funny conversion (or more accurately lack thereof in this case) going on. Descent supports fractional shield values, but it internally stores them as whole numbers; to make this work, the number you generally see in the editor or in game simply takes that internal value and divides it by 65536. (This of course means that shields are counted in graduations of 1/65536.)

What you're seeing there is the raw, unconverted, number. 100 * 65536 = 6553600. I think the other numbers there - mass, drag, size etc - follow the same principle.

(In case you're interested, the reason it's 65536 is because that gives 16 bits for the \"whole\" part and 16 bits for the \"decimal\" part.)
Shadow27
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Shadow27 »

Okay, so I'm currently making a level... And I would want a detailed explanation for each behavior in the \"Robot AI\" field, so there won't be any mistakes in robot placement and the mine itself, please.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

The DMB2 manual explained what each behaviour setting did, but I don't have it on hand unfortunately, and I didn't have much like tracking down a scan/copy/etc on Google.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Here it IS

site is hard to read, some really funk fonts they used.
Shadow27
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Shadow27 »

Thank you very much, Duper.

EDIT: It doesn't say anything about Robot AI...
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

What Exactly are you looking for? Alertations to bot AI via a map builder (be it DMB2 or DLE-XP) is rudimentary at best. You can alter bot AI, but it requires a bit of work using 3rd party programs. Check the D2 section on http://www.planetdescent.com for tools.

Within the mission builders, you are given a list of basic commands iirc.
Shadow27
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Shadow27 »

Oh no, I wasn't meaning to alter the AI, I was just asking what are the differences between Still, Normal, Get Behind, etcetera. I couldn't find the info anywhere, so I just posted here.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

if you list them, I'll try to give you a rundown as best as my old memeory can do.

Each bot has it's own AI behavior. These commands override that (of course).

Normal, is of course, the bot's regular AI.

Still, makes the bot stay in one spot. If you shoot at it, it will do its best to stay in that one spot while returning fire.

Get behind, I THINK causes the bot to take a defensive posture before returning aggressions if at all. They will actively dodge to the side or behind a wall if available. .. Like I said, I think.

The best way to get a feel for what each AI does, is to make a quick and dirty test level (couple of big rooms and obstacles) and throw bots with various AI in. .. make not of each bot, where they are and what AI is assigned to each of them.

It's not quick like getting an answer here, but it WILL give you a clear idea of how the bots will react and if that's what you really want or not. ;)
Shadow27
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Shadow27 »

Okay, then, thanks.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

A question from me. How do I make monitor textures shatter when I shoot or flare them? Is there some prerequisite in the settings? I have two monitors on two oposite sides of a cube, and one will always shatter when I shoot it, the other never will. What's the big deal?
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6