Out going

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Out going

Post by woodchip »

Anyone know of a way to send email attachments with large amounts of data. Seems I'm limited to 10 megs on my charter acct and I'm not sure what Thunderbird allows but it isn't very much either. New email service?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Same limits are present on pretty much all mail carriers, depending on the size of the file you want to transfer you could use a upload service like mediafire/megaupload/rapidshare (or any of the dozens of others out there) and then email a link. Stuff over about 100-200 MB will need to be split using an archive program first though.
EngDrewman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by EngDrewman »

Gmail allows 20MB attachments (pm me ur current email for an invite if ur interested). Much larger than that and you'll have to use a file hosting site or send via IM.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Yeah, \"bigger stuff\" needs to be hosted. Email is a lousy method to send anything big (it was never designed for it) anyway.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

I email people a link to a torrent file I make... sent a 450 mb file last week. http://torrentfreak.com/how-to-create-a-torrent/

Your own tracker;
http://pcsplace.com/tutorial/how-to-cre ... e-tracker/
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

So how would I split up a adobe file where, when I open it, I would want to pick and choose what parts to send?
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Gekko71 »

woodchip wrote:So how would I split up a adobe file where, when I open it, I would want to pick and choose what parts to send?

I assume you're referring to a PDF woodchip. If so:

- what program created the PDF?
- what distiller settings were used to create it?
- what version of acrobat are you using to view/edit the file?
- What is the purpose of the PDF: Do you need to view it on screen only, do you need to print it on a desktop printer, or are you printing it professionally?

Depending upon the answers to the above, you have a few options:

#1: You can extract the specific pages you need and combine those in to a separate PDF using the extract pages and insert pages commands.

#2: Failing that (depending upon what version of Acrobat you are using) you can use the "Shrink file size" command which can shrink your PDF considerably depending upon its contents and the program that created it and the distiller settings you used.

#3: How many pages does your PDF contain? If it's over 10 meg in size but under 30 pages in length then you probably have images or media files embedded in the pdf that are unduely adding to the size.

In which case, you could resize / reformat the images using raster / vector image-editing software like photoshop and Illustrator - and then reinsert them to bring your file size down. (this needs to happen in your source document, then you recreate the PDF)

#4: Recreate the PDF from the original application using the "smallest file size" distiller options, after you have removed the extraneous content.

NB: Do not use the shrink file size on your original document - make a copy of yotur PDF then shrink this instead.

The Shrink Document command will reduce the resolution on the embedded images and probably add compression artefacts to the images if they are jpegs. This change cannot be undone with Ctrl Z.

***If you need to keep the images high-res for commercial offset printing, then don't even consider the shrink-file approach. Use option 3 instead. ***

Hope this helps.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Send the whole thing, split it with 7-zip: http://www.7-zip.org

Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Woody…go with the last option, re-creating your work is a bad idea.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

For the most part it is not my work. Typically I go to a website and download a large architectural blueprint pdf file. I then need to send 2-6 pages out of the 60 pages the file contains. So I need to know how to pull the sheets out of the file and be able to email them. At that point I won't be running into the size limitation. Thanks for the help thus far