StarTrek game

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

StarTrek game

Post by VonVulcan »

So everyone must have seen the flood of advertising about this new startrek game that costs around $50.00 but you HAVE to play online and HAVE to pay a monthly fee to play online? Is this insanity or is it just me? Now I'm a big trekki and would probably buy this game but pay a monthly fee? Seems this is gonna be a huge marketing blunder or is it just me that won't touch this with a ten foot pole?
(20:12) STRESSTEST: Im actually innocent this time
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Since I refuse to touch MMORPG games with a 10 foot pole by default, this game failed to get my attention from the very start.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I have 11 foot poles for sale…but, yea I agree…stupid.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Vulcan, where have you been for the last 4 or 5 years? WoW has been doing that since day one ... Everquest has before that for that matter.
:)

I did Wow for a while, but I'm done. The new Star trek MMO doesn't grab me.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i thought WoW was free to download, you only pay for the subscription. Without a subscription you can't level up or something.
Or you can pay to buy the game with 1 month free, but the cost is effectively just for the 1 month.
... actually clearly i don't know ★■◆●
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

well. yes and no. You can play a week free but you can only level so far and you can trade anything with anyone.

You have to register and log a credit card although nothing will be charged.

Then you can down load, but you still have to pay for the license of each installment. (Base game, Burning Crusades and Lich King) about 20 bucks each. Then it's 13 to 15 bucks a month depending on the payment plan you choose. (the more you shell out up front the better the price break)
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by VonVulcan »

Duper wrote:Vulcan, where have you been for the last 4 or 5 years? WoW has been doing that since day one ... Everquest has before that for that matter.
:)

I did Wow for a while, but I'm done. The new Star trek MMO doesn't grab me.
Ignoring WoW... never even tried it. Not gonna pay to play. However Startrek interests me. Sadly I won't see this game.
(20:12) STRESSTEST: Im actually innocent this time
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Oh, I understand. trust me.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Eve Online is free to download and free to play for 2 weeks. Other than monthly fees, all the added content is free.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

The new STO looks good but I also vow not to have to pay a monthly fee on top of 60$ to play the game. For 20 years we've have bought games, played it for free afterwards, got new MODs etc and enjoyed them. Why should we have to keep paying to play a game we already paid for?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Why Merlin? because you play on their servers, using their bandwidth which is HUGE. The server farm for something like this is not something that you just toss together in your garage.

MMO's aren't like other games. They incur on going costs. Also, you have the dev team continuing to grow the game and work on patches. Other games, the players host games at their own expense (unless you play MW2 :roll:) and it's on one system.

That's the short answer. ;) besides, you spend more than that a week on cigarettes. (er if you smoke and I do not.)
Hostile
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hostile »

I used to be in the \"no way I'm gonna pay continually to play\" crowd.... I just couldn't get over that hump because I figured if I had to pay for the software, then that should be enough. But like Chip here said, Eve Online is pay to play, but the software is free to download and install as well as all of their improvements and patches..... That got me over the hump because I figured that I could play for about 5-6 months and break even with the cost of either purchasing software or paying subscription fees. I still won't do both........

Although, once you go down that road, it is hard to stop :). I now have 3 paid Eve subscrptions and I love each of them dearly heh.

And another thing..... If Descent had a monthly subscription fee and constant support and upgrades, we would all still be playing it quite honestly.
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by VonVulcan »

Hostile wrote: And another thing..... If Descent had a monthly subscription fee and constant support and upgrades, we would all still be playing it quite honestly.

Not likely for me, I probably would never have picked up Descent if there was a pay to play requirement, even if the software was free. I suppose it's possible I would change my mind if I were ever to try a pay to play title but that is not likely. But thats just me. :P
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

lol.

WoW for the trek fans.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

we should call it WoT
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

One thing I would like to add.

DLC Down Loadable Content.

Gaming companies are starting to charge a buttload for this stuff. So the days of extra maps for free is Gone. Patches are still free ... for now. Activition is talking about charging for patches in the form of bundling them with DLC. :roll:

Thus if you play on a server system like steam and what MW2 was putting out, you won't be able to play on their servers without patching ... so \"free play\" will go poof soon as well.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Thenior »

Duper wrote:Why Merlin? because you play on their servers, using their bandwidth which is HUGE. The server farm for something like this is not something that you just toss together in your garage.

MMO's aren't like other games. They incur on going costs. Also, you have the dev team continuing to grow the game and work on patches. Other games, the players host games at their own expense (unless you play MW2 :roll:) and it's on one system.
Not only that, but in like in the case of WoW, your paying for the dev team that develops new content. I played WoW way back when it was an open Beta, and played off and on borrowing friends accounts. I haven't played in a couple years, but I can't believe the upgrades they put into it. And the Cataclysm expansion is basically going to be Azeroth totally remixed.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Duper, I quit smoking in 95. Also, I don't play enough games to warrant paying a monthly fee. Also, we used to get free patches and free upgrades (maps etc) before. I don't see paying for it now. If all games ended up being like this we wouldn't have a choice, but until then, forget it.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Fair nuff!

btw, wtg on the smoking! :) I thought I remember you saying something about that way back on iparty.