Photons increase in mass?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Photons increase in mass?

Post by Isaac »

So when momentum is changed, by a mirror or by a black hole's gravity, a photon will have more mass? Is it really that simple? And, when light particles combine, into a bond state, they also increase in mass?

I'm trying to understand how light particles gain mass, while at the bottom of the math physics learning curve.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I can cut you off right here by stating that photons have zero rest mass, no matter what they're doing. :P
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: Photons increase in mass?

Post by AlphaDoG »

Isaac wrote:So when momentum is changed, by a mirror or by a black hole's gravity, a photon will have more mass? Is it really that simple? And, when light particles combine, into a bond state, they also increase in mass?

I'm trying to understand how light particles gain mass, while at the bottom of the math physics learning curve.

Dude if you are indeed old enough to study such things, why make ME do YOUR research?

Git-r-DONE!
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: Photons increase in mass?

Post by dissent »

AlphaDoG wrote:Dude if you are indeed old enough to study such things, why make ME do YOUR research?

Git-r-DONE!
Yeah.

Google "do photons have mass",
get stuff like this -
http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_a ... 60731.html

Have fun, my little mathematical flounder.
Verran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Verran »

Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Photons have Mass? I didn't even realize they were Catholic!
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

To say the least, there's a lot of misunderstanding about this topic.

Here's the fundamental thing to understand: There are two 'types' of mass being talked about here.

One is \"rest mass\" or \"invariant mass\" or \"intrinsic mass\". Being very un-technical, you can think of this as the classic \"mass\" we all learned about in grade school.

The other, and usually the source of the confusion, is something called \"relativistic mass\". It's essentially a term which acts like mass in the equations for relativistic motion. It's described and taught different ways (and there's still debate about the terminology), but when physicists say things like \"mass increases near light speed\", they're talking about relativistic mass.

So... do photons have zero mass? Depends on what you're talking about. They have zero rest mass, but nonzero relativistic mass.

... Does that help?
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Foil wrote:To say the least, there's a lot of misunderstanding about this topic.

Here's the fundamental thing to understand: There are two 'types' of mass being talked about here.

One is "rest mass" or "invariant mass" or "intrinsic mass". Being very un-technical, you can think of this as the classic "mass" we all learned about in grade school.

The other, and usually the source of the confusion, is something called "relativistic mass". It's essentially a term which acts like mass in the equations for relativistic motion. It's described and taught different ways (and there's still debate about the terminology), but when physicists say things like "mass increases near light speed", they're talking about relativistic mass.

So... do photons have zero mass? Depends on what you're talking about. They have zero rest mass, but nonzero relativistic mass.

... Does that help?
I think so. Thanks.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by dissent »

Kilarin wrote:Photons have Mass? I didn't even realize they were Catholic!
Jesus did say "I am the light of the world ..." :P
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Paper converted pages? How innovative!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Books