Death by Descentbb.net?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Death by Descentbb.net?

Post by Isaac »

I read around and the consensus seems to be that wifi cards don't cause cancer.

My netbook is on my lap, when ever I'm doing a time wasting activities, like what I'm doing right now. In contradistinction, when I work it's on a desk.

I'm sure most of you have gone mobile, in some way, because how cheap these netbooks have become. :?: How do you feel about this? It's Non-issue? Am I, once again, just being paranoid about another thing I don't understand at all (common Isaac trait)?

:idea:I see a radio device that, unlike an efficient cellphone, binges on electricity to get the best connection possible. After all, that's what the customer wants.

edit:
The title is just a joke.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

Better get one of these just in case.

http://www.mavig.eu/173-1-testicle-shield-276.html
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Xamindar »

Heretic wrote:Better get one of these just in case.

http://www.mavig.eu/173-1-testicle-shield-276.html
I'd hate to get an erection in that thing. :o
Why doesn't it work?
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re: Death by Descentbb.net?

Post by Lothar »

Isaac wrote:the consensus seems to be that wifi cards don't cause cancer
There's a good reason that's the consensus.

Consider the amount of power output by a typical wifi card. It's not a huge amount.

Over half of the radiation the average person is exposed to per year comes simply from the air. (See http://www.ans.org/pi/resources/dosechart/ ) The radiation from a wifi card doesn't even rate a mention.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Electromagnetic radiation & Nuclear radiation are two different things.

And, you just don’t want to know how much electromagnetic radiation you are exposed to.

Believe me...
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

well spidey, there is nothing conclusive; either for or against. There have been many studies and they both can be harmful, but it appears that the whole equation is extraordinarily complex. Mostly, it depends on the individual's makeup and how those saves interact with them. Mass and content of the material encountered by the waves matter and there is no single way to figure that out when it comes to humans.

So Isaac, it's not likely, but there is a risk' small, but there is one. I would think that crossing the street poses a greater risk.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re:

Post by Alter-Fox »

Spidey wrote:And, you just don’t want to know how much electromagnetic radiation you are exposed to.

Believe me...
You couldn't see without it...
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_absorption_rate

I think this is the standard to go by Issac. I've often wondered just how much I'm frying my ballsack sitting close to these pc's.( They do seem smaller :P). Here's another small fact that isn't ever mentioned when advertising clock speeds. After a certain frequency, starting around 3ghz, you start getting alot of spurious signals. At that frequency, radio waves won't even follow wires anymore, and you develop the need for waveguides. The solution: lower clock speeds and more cores. I think I need a testical shield :P.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Duper…where did I say or imply electromagnetic radiation could not be harmful?
EngDrewman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by EngDrewman »

Yes wifi cards do operate at very low power levels, but it's not the power level that matters. It's true that the FCC has established \"safe\" exposure standards, but we really don't know what levels are truly safe.

The big problem (and the cause of the hype and the reason we really don't know what levels are safe) is that UHF and XHF are such high energy frequencies that they have an ionizing radiation effect. I don't really know the lower \"cutoff\" for this effect, but I do know that pretty much frequency measured in GHz is considered ionizing, and the higher the frequency the more disruptive it is to life. Wifi cards broadcast in the 2.4 GHz band, which is definitely ionizing. It also doesn't help that 2.4 GHz is the same frequency that a microwave oven uses to cook your food. Of course, it is also true that a Microwave broadcasts at 1100W and your wifi card broadcasts at <.5W, but like I said, until people either do or don't get cancer, we really won't know what is safe and what isn't.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Spidey wrote:Duper…where did I say or imply electromagnetic radiation could not be harmful?
Doh!!

My bad! sorry Spidey!

Eng, and the problem there is (of course) that no one will be able to pin point that as a source. (assuming in that analogy that it is).

They'll blame it on the red food coloring in bacon or too much salt or some-such.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Hummm, according to Wiki, microwaves are not ionizing?

“Microwaves contain insufficient energy to directly chemically change substances by ionization, and so are an example of nonionizing radiation. The word \"radiation\" refers to the fact that energy can radiate. The term in this context is not to be confused with radioactivity. It has not been shown conclusively that microwaves (or other nonionizing electromagnetic radiation) have significant adverse biological effects at low levels. Some but not all studies suggest that long-term exposure may have a carcinogenic effect.[7] This is separate from the risks associated with very high intensity exposure, which can cause heating and burns like any heat source, and not a unique property of microwaves specifically.”
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Also if you rip the door off your microwave and use a detector test the strength of the microwaves you won't be able to detect them from more than a couple feet away from the open door. The stuff your microwave puts out has no range, it dissipates immediately once its outside the oven. If it didn't then you could be sure every time someone in town fired up their microwave all the nearby wireless LANs would quit working.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

The people who put a microwave gun in D3 didn't do their homework...
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Not true Alter. :twisted:

High energy microwaves are deadly. Radar for instance is not something you want to \"sun bath \" in. Krom is talking about microwave ovens. They are intentionally engineered to be user safe. You want to only cook what's in that cubic foot space and not what's on your neighbor's table too. :lol: They are significantly \"scaled down\" for saftey sake.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

That's true. While in tech school, we spent a semester on microwave systems and microwave communications. It's some wicked stuff just by ramping up the power. :twisted:
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

\"Masers are being developed as directed-energy weapons.\" 8)
ImageImage
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

being developed?

they're already here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sedwick »

Duper wrote:High energy microwaves are deadly.
How close could you stand next to an EMP when it goes off?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

dunno. Give it a try. :wink:

seriously, I don't know. didn't read up on it.
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sedwick »

Krom wrote:Also if you rip the door off your microwave and use a detector test the strength of the microwaves you won't be able to detect them from more than a couple feet away from the open door. The stuff your microwave puts out has no range, it dissipates immediately once its outside the oven. If it didn't then you could be sure every time someone in town fired up their microwave all the nearby wireless LANs would quit working.
My X10 wireless video transmitter/receiver gets noisy and static-y when my microwave is on.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Re:

Post by AceCombat »

Sedwick wrote:
My X10 wireless video transmitter/receiver gets noisy and static-y when my microwave is on.

you need to check your door seals then :!:
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I don't know... My paper shredder makes the tv and radio flicker from across the house.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

That's not RF interference, that sounds more like a ground loop or at least a bad ground somewhere.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

yeah, just about anything electrical you plug can do that. Vacuum cleaners, fans, hair blowers, coffee grinders...
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

But, then that would make it RFI.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »