Starwars vs Star Trek

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

[quote="Spidey"]Simple, the people in the Star Trek universe are way to civilized…[quote]UHM one word Klingons :)

The StarTrek Univerise is MUCH larger than just the Federation. and add to the fact that the Defiant class was not a ship of exploration. it was a compact warship equiped with a cloak. hard to hit what you cant see. also it would seem that the Star destroyers use more of a spray and pray apporach when it comes to targeting :wink:
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NUMBERZero »

Spray and pray? Tiny ships like the Falcon are hard to hit when you're stuck on a big honking capital ship.

Phasers are rediculously overpowered. It's a tiny beam in a tiny remote control thingy. If there was one thing that Star Trek has that is a little out there, it's the tiny Swiss Army Phaser. Blasters from Star Wars seems more logical to me. I know, beams are supposed to travel at light speed, but I think that the reason that it is so slow is because it shoots a matter type projectile encased in some kind of energy for increased damage. That's what I've heard and that is my guess.
\"PUT THE BALL INNNNNN!!!!!!\"--What I was screaming on 3/7/09 PD Reunion Monsterball game
Descent 3 Anarchy: \"Just you, your ship, and a whole bunch of weapons to turn your enemies into slag.\"--TopGun
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

NUMBERZero wrote:Spray and pray? Tiny ships like the Falcon are hard to hit when you're stuck on a big honking capital ship.
hell we can hit missles traveling at supersonic speeds with other missles traveling at supersonic speeds today. with the advanced Tech they have you would think that it would be all that much easier.

Besides it doesnt matter. the Borg would just assimiliate them.

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

True that, but if you think of Isaac’s original concept, the Federation should have been beaten by the Borg as well.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Should have? If I remember correctly, they did in many different ways. Though, it's been years since I've seen the series.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

In First Contact, they pretty much end the Borg threat once and for all.

But, you know how Star Trek is in regards to continuity…
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Spidey wrote:In First Contact, they pretty much end the Borg threat once and for all.

Agreed. The odd thing and showing lack of the "C" word... Janeway came home with the "Fix all" to the Borg iirc, but then we had first contact ... or ... was Voyager's return in the future by like 10 years? i only saw the last episode once.. :roll:
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Re:

Post by Heretic »

Spidey wrote:In First Contact, they pretty much end the Borg threat once and for all.

Sorry to inform you the Borg threat wasn't ended during that Movie since only a single Borg Cube ship was used to battle Earth's entire fleet.

In Star Trek Enterprise "Regeneration" the survivors of the Borg sphere shot down in Star Trek: First Contact try to assimilate the Enterprise and a few other ships along the way. The Borg vessel is finally destroyed by the Enterprise, but not before the Borg send out a distress signal. The Enterprise crewmembers estimate the signal will take roughly 200 years to reach its destination.

In regards to continuity why are the Borg such a surprise to the crew of Enterprise-D when Q cast them in to the further reaches of the galaxy after they battled Jonathan Archer captain of Enterprise NX-01?
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

Thats because all previous Star Treks were the Windows Version. they did a defrag and Reboot with the latest movie. so now all is well in the Star Trek Universe :P

― Theodore Roosevelt
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Heretic »

Well it shouldn't be allowed to happen because of Temporal Prime Directive.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Yes Heretic, I know that only one ship is destroyed in First Contact, but they destroyed the Queen, who claimed to be “the Borg”.

“I am the Borg”

I’m assuming without her, they resort to being individuals. And that’s exactly the kind of continuity gaffs I refer to.

In the original series earth avoided WWIII, in the following series and movies they have that war.

My point is that the Borg have the superior technology, and should have made mince meat out of the federation, as per Isaac’s original concept.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Heretic »

Ok I'll have to go all nerd on you I see.

In the Star Trek: Voyager relaunch novels the Borg Queen isn't a single identity that can't be replaced. The queen can be replace by any female Borg by a program called \"The Royal Protocol\".

In the game Star Trek: Legacy if you unlock the bonus content the game gives you an hint that females of a particular species have the strong enough mind to filter and control traffic of the collective mind of the Borg. They serve as regulators or signal boosters allowing the consciousness to be maintained over the thousands of lightyears of Borg space. Then there is the two different starfleet captains that killed the queen which brings up the possibility of multiple queens.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Ok, you got me. :lol:
Hostile
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hostile »

I noticed someone put a link to ship sizes....

I always liked this one for comparing different ship sizes....
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

They show the Nostromo, from Alien, with out its cargo attached, making it smaller.
Here's the whole thing:
However, I think the movie only takes place on the part that can detach and land on the planet. It should still include the whole ship and not just the lander... oh well.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by vision »

Hostile wrote:I always liked this one for comparing different ship sizes....
Thanks! I saw that site a couple years ago and was never able to find it again. It totally rocks! Imma go bookmark it now.