Looking for a wireless printer

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Looking for a wireless printer

Post by Dedman »

So I got a new computer the other day and was shocked to see it didn't have a parallel port for my printer. Yeah, I'm that out of touch. So I can either get a parallel/USB adapter or I can get a new printer.

Since we've been kicking around the idea of getting a wireless printer for a while now, it seems like this is a good time. I've looked at some and it seems you can get a lot of features for not that much cash.

I'm going to use for home stuff, nothing fancy but I would like it to be able to scan and fax though.

What kind of machines have you guys used and what can you recommend. I would like to keep it below $130 or so.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Network Printers are a must.... Integrated Wireless Printing has quite a few issues, as long as the printer has Ethernet Jack to fall back on when your frustrated by the wireless, then get it

It's better if you just plug the printer into your Network and use the(the routers) Wireless settings for only laptops and such, at least it's reliable (except for scanning an faxing on the laptops)

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I would just plug the printer into my router?
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

yes sir and even set a static IP.... then any computer has access to it on the network

I have no personal experience with this one... but to give you an idea of what your looking for, if wireless built in is to be considered otherwise just look for the Ethernet

HP Officejet 4500 Wireless All-in-One Printer
(connectivity : Ethernet, 802.11b/g, USB 2.0, RJ11/Phone)

Had experience with workforce (600)Printers
Epson WorkForce 520 All-in-One Printer
(connectivity : Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n, USB 2.0, RJ11/Phone tel/aux)

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I can second that.

My father-in-law set up his 'wireless' printer to wirelessly connect to his network. Worked... sort of.

I had him just plug it into the router (it was only a few feet away), set a static ip for the printer, and it's worked like a charm ever since.

[Plus, going with a 'wired' printer may give you some flexibility with your budget. :) ]
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Thanks guys. We're trying to get the printer off of the computer desk to de-clutter the area which means running a cable becomes problematic. Then again so does attaching it to the router, which is why I was thinking about going wireless. Anyway you gave a lot to think about.

Thanks.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i have a Office Jet Pro 7580 on Ethernet right now, its much faster than USB and has a built in embedded webpage
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

woops, dbl post
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

A truly wireless printer would be battery-powered. This would be amusing.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »