Joining Hands

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Joining Hands

Post by woodchip »

"After centuries of mistrust between religion and science, a new website has been set up by the Vatican and Italy's scientific community.
The website has information on everything from astronomy to theology, from space missions to philosophy and art.
It is being run jointly by the Vatican and the Italian Space Agency, AS"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12518714

So it would seem that the Catholic high command has decided it would be easier to join the flood of science pouring down from on high than to keep Galileo and Archimedes locked in a closet. My question to you is, how do you think the Holy See will handle the spin once we discover another intelligent species that has no concept of religion? Will they (the church) regard them as lost souls in need of enlightenment and thus have the urge to send out missionaries much like they did in Africa and the Americas 200 years ago? Or would they be forced to accept the fact that another sentient species, whose evolution did not include the need for a religion and works as a whole quite well, as something to be respected? Or a third possibilty of viewing the new species as being something to be avoided lest they contaminate humans with a impure set of beliefs.

Anyway, just a few thoughts off the top of my head when I read the article. Have fun.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re: Joining Hands

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I think they would do the same as they did since the dawn of time. Either cast it off as not true, or try and convert them. If this failed, I would say we'd have a revolution and the religious fanatics would end up starting wars over it.
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

CDN_Merlin wrote:religous fanatics
:roll:
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I think it’s highly unlikely that we would find aliens totally without any concept of religion, at least not in its purest aspect…that being a quest for truth, knowledge and the reason for existence.

So the most likely scenario is a radically different kind of religion, then of course…insert any SiFi scenario here.

Of course when we discover aliens (or they discover us) there will probably be a dozen religions started in “their” name.

/ancient aliens movie promo
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

I'm with Spidey. Aliens probably would have some sort of crazy religon where they would try and convert us or make war on us.
Anybody ever play Halo?
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Organized religion has always sought to co-opt anything that can replace it. Science doesn't get an exemption from that conquest/defense mechanism.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

Of course, you guys are assuming we will be smart enough and open minded enough to recognize a sentient being if we should encounter one. We aren't even qualified to speculate on what form such a creature might take.
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

WillyP wrote:Of course, you guys are assuming we will be smart enough and open minded enough to recognize a sentient being if we should encounter one. We aren't even qualified to speculate on what form such a creature might take.
Good call. If it weren't for the lack of opposable thumbs maybe dolphins would be clapping and cheering at LandWorld while we did tricks for them.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

SilverFJ wrote:
WillyP wrote:Of course, you guys are assuming we will be smart enough and open minded enough to recognize a sentient being if we should encounter one. We aren't even qualified to speculate on what form such a creature might take.
Good call. If it weren't for the lack of opposable thumbs maybe dolphins would be clapping and cheering at LandWorld while we did tricks for them.
Of course, as is they are simply thankful for all the fish.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

The Romans are trying to trick our schools around the world!
Merlin the mage puts the i back in the religion ...eye <3 Thanks, mate.

Now let's look again:
the roe men are trying to catch the school [of fish] moving around the whirl[ed] pool with the planned net...
TechPro wrote:
SilverFJ wrote:
Of course, as is they are simply thankful for all the fish.
I hope you realize what you just said </3
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe