Ever wonder?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Ever wonder?

Post by Nightshade »

Ever wonder why our colleges and universities have turned college kids against our own country- filling their minds with how "evil" our way of life is and how it would probably be preferable if the US didn't even exist?

Part of the reason (certainly not entirely, as academia has seemed to attract leftists more often) may be that our teachers and professors are being PAID to spout propaganda by <gasp> foreign interests that don't necessarily have our well being as a nation at heart?
Anti-American, Foreign Donors Are Paying Off Our Profs. Shouldn’t We Address This?

Adversaries have been buying sway in Congress and the public eye by funding American professors who advocate for them, to the tune of $600M.
http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/anti-ameri ... ress-this/

"We will bury you!" may not have been empty words by Nikita Khrushchev after all- especially if foreign interests get a say in how our youth are educated- or rather, indoctrinated.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Re: Ever wonder?

Post by SilverFJ »

I feel exactly the same way. The professors and their mental progeny are the hippies and bums that lost their revolution, or the people that learned from said hippies and bums. They couldn't win socially but they're on their way to turning young people into an ignorant, spoiled, America-hating machine.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I have to disagree for the following reason.

All of my teachers in the business school, which I'm under, are republican. One openly says he's a "card carrying" Tea Party member. (I didn't know they issued cards!) He actually spent part of his lecture, at the end of one class, on reasons we should "vote'em all out".

On the other hand, in other departments, not affiliated with my major, do seem to be very left-leaning and one of those teachers, during class, compared republicans to dogs. However, she is openly Canadian. To be fair... she had other problems...

I've said it before that, the more educated I become, in the university, the more conservative I become, which the opposite of your claim. Last year we actually learned how to calculate unemployment caused by government regulation. In my first semester, I did an assignment that proved to me that socialized medicine is mathematically impossible, under how expensive our medical system currently is.
silverfj wrote:They couldn't win socially but they're on their way to turning young people into an ignorant, spoiled, America-hating machine
Oh yeah, I might be spoiled, but The United States is the best country and Texas is the best state.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Isaac wrote:I have to disagree for the following reason.

All of my teachers in the business school, which I'm under, are republican.
well there's your problem. Business school. everyone knows that republicans are all about the corporations. just ask TC :P
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

Isaac wrote: However, she is openly Canadian. To be fair... she had other problems...
Sorry - that just made me lauch. :lol:

No offence to our Canadian friends.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Just have to pick the right school. Choosing the school to attend is like job-hunting. Apply at a refuse disposal company ... you will end up working with ________ (insert refuse related term of your choice).
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

ThunderBunny wrote:Ever wonder why our colleges and universities have turned college kids against our own country- filling their minds with how "evil" our way of life is and how it would probably be preferable if the US didn't even exist?
All I'm wondering is what type of school you've seen this happening at, because I sure as hell never came across it.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I've come across professors with pretty strong opinions, from all over the political spectrum.

Sure, there are a few whackos out there (for example, an infamous holocaust denier at Okie State, where I went for graduate work), but the claim about "the educational system is trying to corrupt all our children" just doesn't fit.

The other thing is that you have to look at the subject material. Liberal educators will tend to lean toward certain areas (e.g. psychology), and conservative educators will lean toward others (e.g. business). Saying, "look at those sociologists, most of them are liberals!" is like saying, "look at those physicists, most of them are logically-minded!" or "look at those art majors, most of them are artistically inclined!"

[Note: There is often a lot of confusion between this topic and the term "liberal arts education", which means a broader degree program, and has nothing to do with political leaning.]
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

The other thing that gets me about sensationalized stories like this is that they display absolutely no confidence in the ability of college-age individuals to form and hold their own personal beliefs and ideologies. Do you really think that a bunch of 20-year-olds are going to fall in lockstep with a certain professor who mentions their own personal beliefs? Even though I don't think professors in most subjects should be doing that in the first place, it's not like doing so is going to lead to any ridiculous "brainwashing." College kids are far smarter than the media seems to give them credit for.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Top Gun wrote:College kids are far smarter than the media seems to give them credit for.
If the two schmucks I saw in Wal-Mart trying (and failing) to buy a huge bottle of whiskey and stuff to mix with it last night are any indication, not all college kids are "smart".
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Many of the professors I had in college were "liberal" in slant and some- especially the political science and history professors were quite leftist.

Yes- it depends on the subject being taught- you're not going to get a lot of political talk from a math or physics teacher (though they have been known to put political stuff in word problems, heh.)
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Krom wrote:
Top Gun wrote:College kids are far smarter than the media seems to give them credit for.
If the two schmucks I saw in Wal-Mart trying (and failing) to buy a huge bottle of whiskey and stuff to mix with it last night are any indication, not all college kids are "smart".
I work at a University and I'm frequently moving equipment/tools between buildings so I can tell you ... the worst (by far) road hazard in our community is the students walking in, through, around, on the road and parking lots. I can also tell you that the Help Desk is very convinced that most of the students don't know how to even tie their own shows when they get here.

I'm convinced that their purpose in coming to the University is to get an education. Next one that steps into the road just in front of me is gonna get extra educated. :twisted:
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Krom wrote:
I was kind of limiting my statement to the kids who don't consider getting ★■◆●-faced drunk four nights out of every week a noble goal. :P
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

I tend to get that drunk 6-7 days out of the week, but I still consider myself otherwise intelligent.
After all, those frat kids are going to turn into CEOs one day.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

CUDA wrote:
Isaac wrote:I have to disagree for the following reason.

All of my teachers in the business school, which I'm under, are republican.
well there's your problem. Business school. everyone knows that republicans are all about the corporations. just ask TC :P
What self respecting liberal would "teach" in business school? I mean, it's against all their principles! :wink: This sums up my opinion of MBA's:

Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

:mrgreen:
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Har har! Don't make me whip out a Mallard Fillmore :P :mrgreen:
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

SilverFJ wrote:I tend to get that drunk 6-7 days out of the week, but I still consider myself otherwise intelligent.
And since when were CEOs the acme of intelligence? :P
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

Point being, with that kinda cash, you don't need to be smart.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

No, but it helps when you're deciding whether or not to engage in widespread fraud and insider trading that could wind up landing you in jail for 50 years. I think we've seen a few examples of that recently.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Top Gun wrote:
SilverFJ wrote:I tend to get that drunk 6-7 days out of the week, but I still consider myself otherwise intelligent.
And since when were CEOs the acme of intelligence? :P
Must be something up there in those brain cases besides jello because they made way more percentage wise than most worker numb nut peons last year, even in our "recession".

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies ... y-2010.htm
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Well, I'll certainly grant them their uncanny ability to snag a piece of the pie, though I don't think I'd qualify that as intelligence at work. Maybe slimeball scheming, though. :P
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Oh there is as much skill, experiences, and innovation in the world of business as in any field we are in, and probably a good deal more in the way of discipline. The primary difference I find is that often these assholes have an adding machine where their conscience should be. ;) They're not all bad, but there is a bad trend in business to sacrifice everything at the alter of profit, and I don't think it has always been that way to the degree that I see today.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I seem to remember a time when people went into business to actually make a product or create a service someone wanted to buy, and the employees where treated as company assets. Now it's all about quarterly profits, cheap and cheaper disposable labor and bowing to Wall Street. What happened?
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

My opinion is that the moral vacuum that is more and more pervasive in U.S. culture is simply spilling into business. I think more and more people believe that there is actually a separation between business and the rest of life that allows normal principles of right and wrong to be suspended in the interest of effective business and profits. Myself I believe that you must be profitable to run a business, but in principle the money takes a back-seat to being honest and fair with your customers and doing right by the people who work for you. The man who owns the company I work for has it right, but I can see him under the pressure to give into the camp that puts profits first, especially in our present economic slump.