Welcome to America

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Welcome to America

Post by Bet51987 »

Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Welcome to America

Post by Foil »

Yeah, when I became a certified teacher, I remember being a bit taken aback by some of the things I was told I had to be careful about. I certainly remember thinking, "Wait, I'm off-duty, outside the school!"

So I talked to some experienced teachers about how they handled things. They had some great sensible guidelines that helped immensely. I'd highly suggest you do the same - ask the "nursing vets" around how they've handled situations like that.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

you could always tell them something like this: "I'd certainly love to help, but you really should see your doctor about that. he'd be in a better position to help than I ever could."
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Its like Business Insurance and is pretty well the cost of the trade and definitely something to be trained to deal with. Our family was sued for saving a life by the very man that we saved, and we spent a lot of money defending ourselves... pretty well our Family's disposable cash in the 70's during the "oil crisis" and while we were building a cabin. We even visited him in Hospital several times as he had no Family or friends that cared. He just listened to the Lawyers and his greed. In the end all their claims were dismissed but that took a long time and many Court House visits.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Canuck wrote:Its like Business Insurance and is pretty well the cost of the trade and definitely something to be trained to deal with. Our family was sued for saving a life by the very man that we saved, and we spent a lot of money defending ourselves... pretty well our Family's disposable cash in the 70's during the "oil crisis" and while we were building a cabin. We even visited him in Hospital several times as he had no Family or friends that cared. He just listened to the Lawyers and his greed. In the end all their claims were dismissed but that took a long time and many Court House visits.
When I was a park ranger, a life guard and I helped save a guy from drowning. Just the opposite from what resulted from your efforts Canuck, every time he and his family came to the beach afterwards we got free barbecue'd food in appreciation.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Ferno's reply seems to be the best and politest thing to say to someone that asks you for a nursing related favor. I also ran into this predicament years ago. My neighbor knew I was a licensed mechanic and wanted some brake work done. I had to politely decline for the same reason, fear of being sued if my work somehow caused a future accident and injury. It's too bad that we are such a lawsuit happy nation that we can't even help another person without fear of being sued. :(
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

...or, you could follow up every threat against you with "Hey, you know we're in the mountains in the middle of nowhere, and I know all the old mine shafts, right?"

:P
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Bet51987 wrote:I weigh 103.
Whoa... How tall are you? Unless you are like 5 foot noting, you probably need to put on a few pounds...
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Bet51987 wrote:I'm 5'3 - 103 no matter how many milkshakes I put down. My doctor said I'm fine. :)

Bee
You lucky stiff! I swear that every candy bar or cookie I even look at goes right to my butt, or stomach or parts close by, so I have to watch what I eat carefully!
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I was the same into my early 20's (6'3"+, always at ~175lbs.), but be careful when you get older. Once I hit grad school and sedentary office work after that, the pounds came pretty quick.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

I've always felt that things like that should be dealt with by developing common sense that applies to the situation. Perhaps all of the bull★■◆● stipulations and warnings could be viewed as guidelines to help you get there, but who wants to go through life with a legal rod up their... back. What the hell good is all of that training if you can't help people incidentally in your day-to-day life?

I always try to play at least 1 hour of some FPS per week. You know, just for toning.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

Ferno

Post by Ferno »

gee, nice friend.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

I think you're absolutely right. I just have a real problem with living my own life playing it safe, instead of letting relationships and common-sense determine my actions. I'd rather help people and perhaps lose a small fraction of my life fighting the unexpected greedy bastard who repays evil for good in court (and I would expect to win). You just have to know who you're dealing with, I guess, and if you don't have a reason to trust them not to burn you then maybe these restriction should apply.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Once someone went off the road (greatly over the speed limit) and snapped a utility pole out in front of our house, the experience has taught me to always approach accidents with caution because the guy's first reaction after hitting the pole was to reach into his glove box and retrieve his loaded 9mm handgun...

Sure, nobody got shot that day, but it still makes me think twice about approaching a vehicle I don't know.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

When I was in college, I was riding my bike towards an intersection when some yahoo ran the stop sign at a side street and T-boned the car coming towards me. I got off my bike and helped yank the door open for the guy who'd been hit to make sure he was all right. I only asked if he was OK, but did nothing else since he was able to get out of his car unassisted and the police showed up quickly. He was in shock at first, but he became angry at the other driver as it dawned on him what occurred. When he told me that this was the second time it had happened to him within a few weeks, I didn't blame him. I stayed around to give a full eyewitness statement to the cops to at least help the poor guy out. The other car was being driven by some high school idiot who wasn't paying attention. He was not hurt either and he was driving a far bigger car than the one he hit.

I don't know if I would have gone further in that situation. Sometimes we do things in reaction to extreme situations that we wouldn't have done if we had time to think about the consequences. But hindsight is always better than foresight, right?

Bee, I was looking up your BMI and you are very low. You probably won't have a problem until you hit menopause. It seems that having a BMI on the slight heavy side, but not obese, is good for a woman's bone health. The body makes estrone from that little extra fat, which can help prevent fractures. And the extra fat causes the bones to bulk up because they are baring more weight. It's a fine balancing act when we get older. Too much fat, heart disease, diabetes. Too little, osteoporosis. So a little extra fat, as long as it's not all abdominal fat, might be better alternative to hormone therapy with it's breast cancer risk and those bone growth drugs they advertise that cause lower jaw bone rot as a side effect.

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/8.30/hel ... 040902.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17721073
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Like I said its like the cost of running a business and I'm glad that you were able to get the coverage you need. I have taken several CPR courses over my life and other first aid courses through employment as well. I still help people when I see them in trouble though... I don't think I could sleep at night after just watching someone suffer and not doing anything.

Like the time I saw a bunch of bouncers kick some kid in the head so bad he was bleeding from the eyes, ears, nose, and mouth. They were lining him up for another boot to the head like a soccer ball when I jumped in saying I saw everything. Game on, I fought 6 bouncers for 45 minutes snapping one guys wrist by squeezing it, and breaking a clavicle on a steroid monster that punched me in the throat, but they never were able to haul me down, ( I attributed it to Tequila and adrenaline).

I was hauled off by the cops and spent the night in the drunk tank then released. The bouncers filed charges and I was sent to the Crown Prosecutor for an interview. He asked my side of the story and when I got to the the fight part and admitted to snapping buddy's wrist, he stopped me and exclaimed, "That was YOU!?" I said yes... he says, "I drop all charges".

Turns out the kid was staying in the VIP suite as a guest of the Hotel Chain Owners, and the bouncers and Bar guys responsible were blacklisted and run out of Town and every other City they tried to start up in. Those bouncers would have at least put the kid into a coma or killed him as apparently they did the same thing to another kid and put him into a coma for 6 months. No one else helped him or me for that matter and just stood and watched.

Be careful out there Bet.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Bettina wrote:After that lawyer was done talking with me I was left with a bad feeling about the human race in general. I hope it wears off. :?
Are you sure that's not just because you came in contact with a laywer? ;) I jest. Really good to hear about the "Good Samaritan Act".
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Hah Reminds me of my youth Canuck :). I had the same thing happen for far less noble reasons. I was in the parking lot of The Krystal :P, and saw some young lady i THOUGHT was game on. All of the sudden, she has her boyfriend and 2 of his friends standing right on front of me telling me I had to the count of 3 to leave. LOL. At 3 I shot him right in the throat, and for a few seconds got pummeled. When they pulled my sweater over my head it was done though. That sweater was bloody as hell and I had nothing but lumps all over my head. I got that sweater off and they all jumped back. I blame it all on being a little crazy, but maybe the tequila had a little to do with it ;)

EDIT:LOL The whole reason I told this story and I started reminsicing and forgot. My long time Bud of about 10 years, a self professed killer and badass, stood to the side and watched the whole thing. You can't count on nobody, so become as powerful as you can. Nobody's gonna knock me down and kick me in the head repeatedly. I'll put leaks him.