DSL or Cable

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

DSL or Cable

Post by ReadyMan »

I'm getting 6.7mpbs dl speeds and 500kbps with my DSL service. I pay almost double what I'd pay for roadrunner cable service (though I do get a land line out of it).
I'm wondering if Cable is better and faster for gaming online.

Any thoughts on which is better?

Thanks!

RM
Fighting villains is what I do!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: DSL or Cable

Post by Krom »

It varies by many factors with location being the largest of them. Cable has congestion on the node which can cause serious performance problems. DSL doesn't have last mile congestion, but can't match the throughput of modern docsis 3 cable. The only way to know which one is better at your house is to try them both.

Be warned: introductory rates and getting nickel and dimed from endless extra fees means that the cost is about the same regardless of who you go with.

Our cable is sold with a great big sticker that claims $39.99/mo (12 month introductory rate). You will never see a bill under $60 even during the introductory promo. If you bundle it with TV, the bill will never be less than $100. We have only the internet service from our provider because we cut the TV cord. Nowhere on the dozens of pages advertising the service do they mention what the unbundled non-introductory promo rate is. After you add it all up the actual cost we pay is a bit over $80, the "internet" portion is about $55. The tax is a couple dollars, everything else is detailed under a dozen different fees with all with dubious names like "regulatory recovery fee". Note: Only an actual from-the-government tax can (and must) be marked on the bill as "Tax", everything else, no matter what they call it, has nothing to do with the government (with the possible exception of being used to bribe regulators so they can get away with this).

When we had TV bundled with it, which included basic, expanded basic, on demand (comes with basic) and the high def package, the sticker price was $69.99/mo; the actual bill was $174/mo and consistently rose every 12-18 months before we finally axed it.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

So "regulatory recovery fee" means "extra charge we suck out of our customers to pay for our anti-competitive lobbying"?
TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

Its true, it all depends on where you live - but I will say this...

I WAS paying $100 a month to AT&T, Plus $80 to DirecTV.. so $180 for Bundled services, and that included discounts.
I was getting 6bmps down, 512k up on the Internet
Unlimited Local and Long Distance calls on the phone
and had HD-DVR with 1 extra standard receiver from DirecTV.

In my area, the cable provider is MediaCom.

I switched, and the internet is much faster for me.

I get 12mbps Down, 1mbps up on Internet
Unlimited Local and Long Distance
and HD-DVR for the TV, plus 2 years of Starz movie pack free.

After taxes, I pay about $75, and the "Intro" rate lasts for the first 2 years, after that the price goes to $99/month.

I cut my TV/Internet/Phone bill in half by switching.

The PROS: Much faster internet
CONS: DirecTV has a superior DVR and menu system, but not enough to make me pay the extra bucks.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Buy cheap dry loop DSL if you really want to save money. I have 1Mb service (I think, it's one step up from the cheapest) with Verizon. I get close to a Mb down, and abysmally slow up for $35 a month advertised, and my bill isn't more than $50 a month in reality. It's just enough to keep up with youtube/hulu/netflix if no one else is using the connection.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

wow - my brother has the same service. 1mb down, but he pays $15 a month for it. $20 after taxes. No phone line, just DSL
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Yeah. I live in "Comcast and Verizon heaven" Philly.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I've had cable for about ten years now (Comcast in Denver, Cox in OKC). I've never had a complaint about the service (other than a dumb tech who screwed up a modem activation recently).

After the 'initial offer', cable pricing here for the 8-20Mbit (down, with 1-4Mbit up) service is a bit less than the comparable DSL pricing, but it's close.

One suggestion: If you can, obtain your own DSL/Cable modem. Otherwise the provider will charge you monthly for "equipment rental".
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i have Comcast in ATL, with 30/8 Mbit for about 70-80$ Mo and it rules..... i can hit 3MBit throughput in the late hours... and AVG about 2.5 during peak hours
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

I run a 26down/16up through charter. I usually get about 16down/5up, but is still pretty nice. It's about $120/mo.
TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

Good lord - kids these days just don't get it.

I remember when I was the first kid on the block with a 28.8 modem - i was smoking everyone lol

This generation is growing up with HighSpeed internet in their pocket - and complaining about it.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

TOR_LordRaven wrote:I remember when I was the first kid on the block with a 28.8 modem...
Youngster. I remember upgrading from my 1200-baud to a 9600-baud, and thinking it was unbelievably fast. :wink:
TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

thats when someone says - "Hey, you have a nice Baud!", and its not a pickup line.
TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

Of course, i was using the Legendary MWave modem (Soundcard/Modem Combo)
Thus, I couldn't have sound in DOS games while playing online, so most of my days in Descent back then was spent listening to a CD.

I think it made me a better pilot though, cause i could see a slight framerate twitch just before someone came into view - i could always anticipate them around the corner.

then again, i sometimes didn't know someone was shooting at me from behind until their shots either landed or blew past me.
Herculosis
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Herculosis »

Foil wrote:
TOR_LordRaven wrote:I remember when I was the first kid on the block with a 28.8 modem...
Youngster. I remember upgrading from my 1200-baud to a 9600-baud, and thinking it was unbelievably fast. :wink:
My first computer class was in highschool. The entire class shared a single teletype terminal, and you had to dial into a real computer using an accoustic coupler modem. When we started, we were running 110 baud. About halfway through the class, we got that cranked all the way up to 300 baud. At the time, everyone thought the thing screemed after the change.

When the youngsters start calling out youngsters, one starts feeling old.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

TOR_LordRaven wrote:Good lord - kids these days just don't get it.

I remember when I was the first kid on the block with a 28.8 modem - i was smoking everyone lol

This generation is growing up with HighSpeed internet in their pocket - and complaining about it.
My first experience with Descent was playing online with a shared 28k connection. Yeah thats right, two people playing descent on one 28k dial up connection. Only worked decent half the time.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Thenior wrote:
My first experience with Descent was playing online with a shared 28k connection. Yeah thats right, two people playing descent on one 28k dial up connection. Only worked decent half the time.

My first online experience with descent? 1200 baud modem, 1 second ping times.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

fliptw wrote:My first online experience with descent? 1200 baud modem, 1 second ping times.
Wow, was that even playable at all?

I remember playing on a 9600-baud, and it being barely playable.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Not really. I think I managed a kill.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

My first online D2 game was on a 14.4kbps US Robotics modem. It was half decent. Been on cable since 1999. :D
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yeah, think I had a 28.8k for D2 in '97. Switched to DSL in 1999 - soon with a dial-up supplement because it was limited to 600 MB a month with a charge of 20c for every megabyte above that. And it was very, very easy to blow through that kind of quota on a 6 megabit line.