Why no one watches debates

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Why no one watches debates

Post by Top Gun »

I really need to thank my brother for posting this link on Facebook, because it's kind of hilarious. I knew there was a reason that you couldn't pay me enough to watch televised debates.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Why no one watches debates

Post by Nightshade »

It's ok. We know you're going to vote for Obama anyway.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Hmmmmmm. Debate crib notes. Nice!
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

ThunderBunny wrote:It's ok. We know you're going to vote for Obama anyway.
Just like I voted for Obama in 2008, right?

Oh wait...

(Seriously, can't we just celebrate stupidity for stupidity's sake without having to go all defensive about it?)
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Top Gun wrote:
Just like I voted for Obama in 2008, right?

Oh wait...

(Seriously, can't we just celebrate stupidity for stupidity's sake without having to go all defensive about it?)
i'm suprised he didn't call you a muslim apologist
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Okay, if I am going to rip on one person from this debate in particular...woooooooow. That's...that's real presidential material right there. Yessiree.

(And I swear if anyone gripes because Keith Olbemann pops up at the end of that video I will have an aneurysm because who gives a ★■◆●.)
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Rumor has it you have pictures of Obama in a bikini posted all over your house.

Fruit cake!
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

Carbon debate has gone around and around and around and around........................... So just throw out the fact that Carbon dioxide is essential to photosynthesis in plants and other photoautotrophs. Because it's so deadly of a gas. :roll:
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

Heretic wrote:Carbon debate has gone around and around and around and around........................... So just throw out the fact that Carbon dioxide is essential to photosynthesis in plants and other photoautotrophs. Because it's so deadly of a gas. :roll:
Carbon dioxide is not super mega deadly by itself; it's what carbon dioxide does in the upper atmosphere that's a problem:

Fear is the engine that destroys freedom.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

I watched about 15 minutes of it and then fell asleep.

The non-anwsers are just painful..

"I will tell you exactly what I am going to do, I would cut wasteful spending..."
"I am for common sence solutions..."
"What we need to do is get government off our backs..."

I just so wish I could do that with my boss...
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

agreed Goob,
The answers were the standard talking points. here's my observations.

1. given that they only were allotted 30 seconds to respond doesn't give them allot of time to really expound on any answer given, so they stick to the talking points.

2. it's the first debate, the candidates are more worried about screwing up then that are about delving into any real debate. they just want to make sure they don't hurt themselves as many feel Ron Paul did. that "should" change after a few more debates and they start feeling either more comfortable or the heat of the polls.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Debates won't be good until they start ripping each other instead of all pointing at Obama,
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

The way things are going we may soon see who our president is determined by a network TV show.
Survivor: The D.C. Election Elimination Series :x
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Heretic wrote:Carbon debate has gone around and around and around and around........................... So just throw out the fact that Carbon dioxide is essential to photosynthesis in plants and other photoautotrophs. Because it's so deadly of a gas. :roll:
This goes beyond the global warming issue, though...it's flat-out ignorance of grade school science. As some of the comments said, go sit down in a room that's full of 10% or so carbon dioxide gas for a few minutes, and then come back and tell us if carbon dioxide is deadly to animals (last time I checked, we're not plant life). And as Olbermann pointed out at the end of that video, there are a hell of a lot of "natural" things that are plenty deadly. Like a volcanic eruption, for instance. :lol:
woodchip wrote:Debates won't be good until they start ripping each other instead of all pointing at Obama,
That's a good point too, though from what I've heard, early primary debates tend to go like that, since the prospective candidates are trying to grab people's attention as much as possible.

And hell, Will, that way might work as well as any at this point.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Top Gun wrote:As some of the comments said, go sit down in a room that's full of 10% or so carbon dioxide gas for a few minutes....
There are people who, IMO, overplay the danger associated with CO2 because they want to scare people, so they call it a pollutant and a poison and a harmful substance on top of being a greenhouse gas. But it's not really very dangerous in the quantities it's normally found in. It becomes dangerous if you overexpose yourself to extreme quantities, say by sucking on a tailpipe, hanging out near one of those lakes with an underground CO2 vent, not having proper scrubbers in your SCUBA gear, or sitting in a room with thousands of times the normal air concentration. It is similarly dangerous to overexpose yourself to water, say by sticking your head in a bucket with thousands of times the normal air concentration for a few minutes. Realistically, the amount of carbon dioxide in the air in your city, home, school, or office is not dangerous unless you have a serious ventilation problem and a significant source of the stuff.

The primary concern with carbon dioxide is not as a "pollutant" or "harmful substance"; it's as a greenhouse gas. Those who insist on calling it "dangerous" as a scare tactic do a disservice to that whole discussion. And their approach, IMO, leaves the door open for people like Bachmann to score cheap points by mentioning that CO2 is all around you and not hurting you. So the scare tactic ends up backfiring, or at the very least not being very effective.
Izchak says: 'slow down. Think clearly.'
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I don't think I've ever seen anyone framing CO2 as a "poison" that represents a direct personal health risk, certainly not to the extent that would lead to a response like Bachmann's. The calls to limit emissions in the future have been centered around its effects as a greenhouse gas, not as the potential build-up of toxic levels in the atmosphere. Regardless, the fact that an elected official could stand in front of Congress and spout something as mind-destroying as, "Natural things aren't harmful!" is enough to drive one to drink.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

One round of liquid nitrogen for me please…

*burp*
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Goes down smooth...coming out's another matter, though.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Top Gun wrote:I don't think I've ever seen anyone framing CO2 as a "poison" that represents a direct personal health risk
I have.
Izchak says: 'slow down. Think clearly.'
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.