11.xx?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

11.xx?

Post by Isaac »

Any Ubunt-noobs here switched to 11.04 yet?
I'm too scared to move from my 10.10. Plus, everything work great in 10.10.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: 11.xx?

Post by Jeff250 »

It seems fine. Most of the packages have a slightly higher version number than the last release. I'm still using the gnome 2.x interface.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Yeah I've been holding off until I break something in 10.10, haha. I have a second computer with Mint Julia on it and I use that to test certain things before I apply them to my ubuntu machine. Writing this reminds me I can test out 11.4 on that other box of mine. Though I'm a bit lazy about that kind of thing, so it might be 11.10 before I get around to it.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Woot for rolling release!

Isaac you should try arch.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

How does Arch handle gnome 2.x?
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

All of the gnome packages are 3.0.2.... I'm not exactly sure, though, since I don't use gnome. Looks like you're stuck with gnome 3 unless you can get someone to pass you an out-of-date snapshot.

One of the marks of arch is that it stays right on the cutting edge.
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

im not a linux user but im about to be, my job is starting a website and we are looking to use Ubuntu Server with LAMP and a couple other extensions..... any good tips for me to help speed up the learning process?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Is this some kind of internal website you are planning on hosting or is it a public site accessible from anywhere? Because if it is an external public site, you should skip the whole thing and buy professional web hosting or use the amazon cloud or something like that instead. Hosting a public site comes with a bunch of baggage that is probably not worth the effort when it can be purchased for as little as $4/mo.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Oops... forgot about this thread. don't you hate it when you start a thread and forget about it? :p

snoopy wrote:Woot for rolling release!

Isaac you should try arch.

I did, but I had too much trouble getting it to work the way I like. I ran back to Ubuntu with my tail between my legs. I'll try it again later.
Jeff250 wrote:It seems fine. Most of the packages have a slightly higher version number than the last release. I'm still using the gnome 2.x interface.
Yeah, I read about gnome being still there. I'm going to wait for summer 2 semester to end before switching. I'm worried about some of the major compiz and wine tools not working, which I need.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Isaac, best to be conservative, especially if it might interfere with school. It does come with python 2.7, which you might find interesting. ;)

Ace, to install LAMP:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install apache2 php5 php5-mysql mysql-server
That should get you started. Most popular php extensions you can "sudo apt-get install" as well, which is just a way of installing software packages from the command line. Aside from the dbb, google and the Ubuntu forums are good resources. I don't know of any noob tutorials to recommend offhand (unfortunately I'm too far removed at this point). Also, consider what Krom said as well.

Also, something that just occurred to me to tell you: you don't need to run the "server" install, since you can run a server from the "desktop" install as well. It will just use a little bit extra ram for X (which when you aren't logged in will be just for the login gui), and it has a more desktop-optimized kernel (both of these are rarely relevant unless you're Google or Facebook), and it'll probably be more noob friendly since it comes with a gui.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I thought 10.x came with 2.7 too. Or maybe that was 2.6. I can't remember. All my Ubuntu's self-install every version of python next to each other, anyway. In the terminal i can just run the default with "python", or specify, like "python3.1". The weird thing is, now that I'm way off topic, is that I read on a forum that different python versions on the same OS would cause conflicts. I've never had that issue.

Meanwhile, my web host admin is too scared to have anything other than 2.3.xx.... boooo...

edit:
I even have python 3.2... I didn't know they were at 3.2 yet! Ha!
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Ubuntu 10.10 was still on python 2.6. Installing newer versions of python can conflict with python programs and libraries from the package manager, since python isn't 100% backwards compatible. They usually use the version before they introduce a backwards incompatible change to issue a warning that your code isn't broken yet but will break in the next version, so if your Ubuntu comes with 2.n, upgrading to 2.n+1 is usually safe. I wouldn't try 2.n+2 though.

edit: You can always just install it somewhere outside of $PATH too.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Jeff250 wrote:Isaac, best to be conservative, especially if it might interfere with school. It does come with python 2.7, which you might find interesting. ;)

Ace, to install LAMP:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install apache2 php5 php5-mysql mysql-server
That should get you started. Most popular php extensions you can "sudo apt-get install" as well, which is just a way of installing software packages from the command line. Aside from the dbb, google and the Ubuntu forums are good resources. I don't know of any noob tutorials to recommend offhand (unfortunately I'm too far removed at this point). Also, consider what Krom said as well.

Also, something that just occurred to me to tell you: you don't need to run the "server" install, since you can run a server from the "desktop" install as well. It will just use a little bit extra ram for X (which when you aren't logged in will be just for the login gui), and it has a more desktop-optimized kernel (both of these are rarely relevant unless you're Google or Facebook), and it'll probably be more noob friendly since it comes with a gui.

yeah ive already got LAMP, SAMBA, AD, acl ,and attr installed...

Krom we are wanting to start a business website with both public and private sides
sdfgeoff
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sdfgeoff »

I'm still using 10:04 and have been happy with it. I am very hesitant to change to 11:04 for the following reason:
They have changed from a windows stile menu to a much less user friendly (for a developer) iconned sidebar menu.
It becomes a pain to find any rarely used application.
It also has no taskbar down the bottom to switch between open windows, this is done by clicking on the icon on the side again.

So I suppose if you only ever browse the web then it is fine, but for me who often has 7 or more programs running it is just a pain to get the one you want.

I know about this because my sister has switched, I don't think I will unless I see it become better suited to my use of it.
Eh?
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Yeah, but I think the Unity interface is optional on all 11.04 releases.
sdfgeoff
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sdfgeoff »

Oh, didn't know that.
Thanks. I may have to switch now....
Eh?
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Yeah, last I check all of the bars/interface stuff was highly customizable. I'd bet that you can get it set up exactly as you want it.